XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#946 Post by fredx181 »

*** BionicDog Beta 32 and 64 bit *** (for testing, feedback appreciated :wink: )

Many improvements and fixes, just to name a few:
- Added cairo-dock to desktop-switcher (Desktop-Manager) choices (choices are the same now as in XenialDog)
- Desktop-switcher (Desktop-Manager) works now when logged in as unprivileged user, e.g. puppy
- Locale problem fixed (gave previously annoying warning and some programs didn't work properly)
- All packages upgraded to newest from Bionic repo.

Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Built from an absolute minimal Ubuntu by using debootstrap (and remastered further).
Kernel: 4.15.0-13
Boot Method: porteus-boot only , see options (grub4dos) at the XenialDog Wiki Porteus-Boot
Default WM - OpenBox with Desktop choices, e.g: tint2-panels, rox-pinboard, cairo-dock, pcmanfm + lxpanel.
Default File Manager - pcmanfm with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox Quantum 59.0.2. (there is launcher for "firefox" running apulse, so audio works without pulseaudio installed)
Upgrade to newer Firefox version can be done from Help > About
(also there's launcher from Menu > Network > Firefox (as puppy), to run firefox as user 'puppy', and Firefox (as root) that can be useful for when logged in as puppy to upgrade firefox (from Help > About))
Applications included: gnome-mplayer, mpv, abiword, pburn, pfind, gparted, synaptic, leafpad, quick-remaster, dogradio, peasywifi, wex and much more (almost as full featured as XenialDog)

EDIT: Download links to beta version removed, see new ISO versions in BionicDog topic:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113210

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 22:38, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

IUP deb packages for use with small Lua interpreter

#947 Post by wiak »

Sorry, posted in wrong thread (moved to XenialDog64 thread) here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 626#987626

wiak

backi

#948 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Replaced "older" Bionic Dog with the new Bionic Beta .
Works fine....even my "old" Save Folder works without flaws .....
almost--.....

Just had to deinstall Lxdm Login-Manager ....rebooted........and reinstalled it again .
Every thing seems working fine . In case something`s wrong .....will give Feedback .
Thanks a lot for your hard work ,your patience and helpful attitude .....and all your sophisticated Ideas you are sharing selfless .

Funny Greetings from the World-Center of Brave New Global Kalifatistan formerly known as Germany .
ALLAHU AKBAR !!!
Which means , at least i think so , "Big Brother is watching you ".......

Hope will not run into Trouble because of my blasphemous Internet Activities .

See you !

fredx181

#949 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !
Replaced "older" Bionic Dog with the new Bionic Beta .
Works fine....even my "old" Save Folder works without flaws .....
almost--.....
Thanks backi !
Well, you know already my opinion about using old save, but saying it again: I wouldn't recommend it.

Fred

belham2

#950 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred, Backi and all,

Fred, been trying your BionicDog64 the past few hours, and as I suspected whenever I try/use one of your creations, me likes it----a lot :wink:

I've got some questions:

1) is there a lightweight firewall I can install besides the usual options of ufw and firewalld from synpatic?

2) related to above, can a firewall try icon show in tint2 where Peasywifi, Sound and Clipboard Manager icons are currently showing? I've forgotten how to do it ;-(

3) is there a lan network connection icon for tray, somewhere, in bionicdog64?

4) I am struggling with the 3 different types of Firefox (running FF 60.0b9, sound is working great across all sites):

--there's Firefox-puppy

--there's Firefox-root

--then there's Firefox

I've been trying to copy my Firefox .cache and .mozilla folders into /root and into /home, but those personal settings only show up when I run Firefox-root or Firefox (what's the difference between these two Menu entries)? When I run Firefox-puppy, Firefox ignores the .cache & .mozilla stuff I've copied into those /home/puppy folders and just opens a pristine Firefox. What am I doing wrong? I am assuming people will normally want to always run in "Firefox-Puppy" mode when browsing, correct?

Anyhow, thanks again for another very nice creation (and thank you for keeping redshift in). And thanks if you can give me any hints on the above questions.

P.S. Installed frugally with Porteus from=, noauto, and changes=EXIT in casper.
Attachments
bionicdog64.jpg
(141.35 KiB) Downloaded 3103 times

fredx181

#951 Post by fredx181 »

Belham wrote:Fred, been trying your BionicDog64 the past few hours, and as I suspected whenever I try/use one of your creations, me likes it----a lot Wink

I've got some questions:
Thanks for trying out, Belham, to answer your questions:

1) Yes, there's peasyfwmon and firewall-ng in the repo's.
2) if you activate one of these after install, from Menu > Network, a tray icon will show.
3)
is there a lan network connection icon for tray, somewhere, in bionicdog64?
Not sure what you mean, you have no ethernet connection ? (looking at your screenshot (conky), there is no. Peasywifi is the default network-manager.
4) I think I'm the one who was struggling :wink: Not sure yet how to make it yet (a Readme in the Menu maybe).
- Firefox is the standard launcher, like normally in the Menu.
- Firefox (as puppy) is the equivalent of "Run as Spot" e.g. in Fatdog.
- Firefox (as root) can be required to use if you are logged in as normal user (e.g. puppy) and want to update Firefox from Help > About) (needs root rights)
If you are logged in as root, there's no difference running "Firefox" or "Firefox (as root)"
When I run Firefox-puppy, Firefox ignores the .cache & .mozilla stuff
I've copied into those /home/puppy folders and just opens a pristine Firefox.
If I understand well, you copied as root to /home/puppy, then probably is permission problem (the files and folders should be owned by puppy), to fix, in terminal as root:
(better close firefox and do the copying again (fresh) just before doing below)

Code: Select all

chown -R puppy:puppy /home/puppy/.mozilla
chown -R puppy:puppy /home/puppy/.cache
EDIT:
I am assuming people will normally want to always run in "Firefox-Puppy" mode when browsing, correct?
Yes for security you mean, but it's a little inconvenient, for example: downloads go standard to /home/puppy/Downloads but when changing that to e.g. /root/Downloads it won't work (because no write permission)
One trick can be to create folder, e.g. /root/Downloads-puppy, make it owned by puppy and point firefox downloading to there:

mkdir /root/Downloads-puppy
chown -R puppy:puppy /root/Downloads-puppy
Or for example to /mnt/home (if that's' a linux partition):

mkdir -p /mnt/home/Downloads-puppy
chown -R puppy:puppy /mnt/home/Downloads-puppy
Fred

belham2

#952 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
1) Yes, there's peasyfwmon and firewall-ng in the repo's.
2) if you activate one of these after install, from Menu > Network, a tray icon will show.

Thanks, Fred, I had done that but couldn't get them to work. But now they are....maybe I hadn't yet, from the first boot, created the savefile (EXIT=changes) so it wasn't working. Either way, it's all working good now and have a firewall and firewall tray icon letting me know if it is 'on' and/or 'off' :)

3) If I understand well, you copied as root to /home/puppy, then probably is permission problem (the files and folders should be owned by puppy), to fix, in terminal as root:
(better close firefox and do the copying again (fresh) just before doing below)

chown -R puppy:puppy /home/puppy/.mozilla
chown -R puppy:puppy /home/puppy/.cache
Yup, soon as read your reply about this, I realized what had been going on. Went back and changed all the permissions and now everything is good. Also, thanks about the tip for putting a Download folder in root owned by Puppy.

3)
is there a lan network connection icon for tray, somewhere, in bionicdog64?
Not sure what you mean, you have no ethernet connection ? (looking at your screenshot (conky), there is no. Peasywifi is the default network-manager.

This last one is where I am wondering: PeasyWifi is great and all, but not when you use LAN connections frequently. Plus, PFWM is NOT an actual visual monitor for LAN traffic, something auser can "visually" see by just glancing at it and wondering if it is up and/or down (to be fair, 99% of the time I don't have conky running, takes up too my of the liited screen space I have). Last thing is that I cannot just right-click on PeasyWifi to either "Disconnect" and/or "Re-Connect" my lan connection. So, again, I was just wondering if there is some sort of Startup "Network Monitor" (like in XFCE) that will allow me to have left-and-right-click control from that icon, connecting or disconnecting, etc. all from a Network Monitor Tray icon?

Thanks again for a great new pup. We supposed to have warm weather these next few days.....we should, haha, really make ourselves stay away these laptops/desktops. 17-19C...wooohooo 8)
Fred

fredx181

#953 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Last thing is that I cannot just right-click on PeasyWifi to either "Disconnect" and/or "Re-Connect" my lan connection. So, again, I was just wondering if there is some sort of Startup "Network Monitor" (like in XFCE) that will allow me to have left-and-right-click control from that icon, connecting or disconnecting, etc. all from a Network Monitor Tray icon?
Don't know at the moment about some sort of "Network Monitor", and indeed peasywifi doesn't have right-click option, but you can do it from the peasywifi window, see pic (gif again :D )

Fred
Attachments
disconnect_connect-eth0.gif
Disconnect and reconnect ethernet from peasywifi
(175.71 KiB) Downloaded 3021 times

belham2

#954 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:Last thing is that I cannot just right-click on PeasyWifi to either "Disconnect" and/or "Re-Connect" my lan connection. So, again, I was just wondering if there is some sort of Startup "Network Monitor" (like in XFCE) that will allow me to have left-and-right-click control from that icon, connecting or disconnecting, etc. all from a Network Monitor Tray icon?
Don't know at the moment about some sort of "Network Monitor", and indeed peasywifi doesn't have right-click option, but you can do it from the peasywifi window, see pic (gif again :D )

Fred

Hi Fred,

That's the crazy thing about PeasyWifi...I am connected right now, to my eth0 port, and look what PeasyWifi is showing me? It wants me to "reconnect" even though I am already connected (and posting this), plus I have no way to disconnect it nor can I even look in or at the PeasyWifi tray iconto get any visual understanding because it is "always' lit up full green-----it is not monitoring anything, in essence, this despite me previously trying to set my ethernet connection up with it.

It has always been like this across all DDogs & various versions. For a wifi signal, PeasyWifi works great. For a etherent connection on same device? Not so much. I just honestly don't know what I am doing wrong. Thus I have resorted to wishing I could have an XFCE Network Monitoring tray icon back that actually shows the ethernet internet connection and whether it's being used at that second or not. I may try transplanting other things in from peebee's and/or phil's stuff with regard to this to see if I can get a working, controllable ehternet icon in the tray.
Attachments
xendog-20180406121323.jpg
(36.04 KiB) Downloaded 3008 times

fredx181

#955 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:It wants me to "reconnect" even though I am already connected
That I don't understand, how it "wants" you to reconnect ?
Your ethernet connection is automatically started at boot (as it should be, it is for me anyway), or not ?
Indeed the peasywifi tray icon only supports left-click to open the settings window, to have it different, you may want to install another network-manager. (frisbee maybe ok for you ?)
plus I have no way to disconnect it
Setting it to "Down" and then click "Configure" doesn't work ?

EDIT:
That I don't understand, how it "wants" you to reconnect ?
I think now I understand, you'd like it to be visual whether you are connected or not.
Well.. peasywifi may not have the options you desire, but I chose for it because it's very reliable and lightweight (other network-managers with advanced tray-icon, monitoring etc.. use much more RAM)

Fred

backi

#956 Post by backi »

Hi Everybody !

Had trouble downloading some Videos on You-Tube.....tried a bunch of different Apps/Tools , did search on the Internet for Advice.
No Luck.... nothing seems to help .........

Maybe somehow inspired by heavenly Guidance ......i found in Menu> Multimedia Section a little Thing called "You Tube-Get" ........
Never realized before----This is a small nifty App for downloading Videos on You-Tube .
Since I had nothing more to loose i gave it a Trial .
Much to my Surprise that little Devil seems to download, as far as i found out , "Everything" on You-Tube without a Hassle ,in a Blink of an Eye ........,
No "Code-Changing " on You-Tube seems to stop it .
Thumbs up .Made my Day !

Thank you God ....for creating the Inventor of "You Tube-Get" . :D :D :D

Let`s praise the Lord !!!

Halleluja ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

fredx181

#957 Post by fredx181 »

Haha backi !! :)
OK, you discovered it ! Better late than never !
For info, there's an updated version in repo, youtube-get2 version 0.2.0, I made some small fixes and added support for "channel" (when clicking "Download from playlist URL")
Just as example to clarify, url containing "/channel/" :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChbPPl ... J1gdHSM7vg

Only thing I'm not satisfied of is that it can be rather slow (specially when you set maximum list items to a lot more than 10 (setting it to e.g. 100, it takes ages)

Have fun!

Fred

wiak

iuplua 32-bit debs

#958 Post by wiak »

32-bit debian packages of iuplua-core and (optional) iupluacontrols for XenialDog32, as well as dotpets for Puppy-use, have now been uploaded to the IUPLUA packages thread (first and third posts):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113082

Like the 64-bit version also provided, these packages will only work with Lua version 5.3, which you can download per usual via Synaptics or apt. The iuplua packages were compiled and tested on XenialDog32 but will also work on current BionicDog32.

Let me know if you have any problems with any of the packages.

Note that only Lua5.3 and iuplua-core need to be installed. iupcontrols provides optional extra widgets/controls.

Run the examples provided (via links on post 2 of above thread to tecgraf iup examples site) simply by entering the likes of:

lua5.3 <example.lua>
wiak

belham2

#959 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred and all,

In latest BionicDog64, running frugal (grub4dos with Porteus save boot-style Exit=/), anyone know the trick to get "Chromium" working from a regular Synaptic Package install?

After updating Synaptic in BionicDog64, I installed the Chromium version it brought back. Everything seemed to install ok, but when I try to start Chromium (from even terminal), nothing happens. I'm assuming the problem is a "permissions" problem, and I am trying all the tricks I know (from Puppies) when trying to get chromium/chrome to open & run when you're root, but nothing is working in BionicDog.

What really confuses me is that in my Stretch-XFCE-64 build (using the make-deb-live-build script), Chromium installed no problem, runs great, and updates great (and I have never had to mess with anything concerning permissions and/or otherwise). I understand the build-script is Debian-based in makelivebuilds, but is BionicDog64 so far off from those deb-builds that it isn't possible to install & run something like Chromium from its (BionicDog's) included Synaptic?

Thanks for hints and/or tips.

fredx181

#960 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham, this script works for me on Bionicdog (to run as user puppy):

#!/bin/sh

xhost +local:puppy

su puppy -c "/usr/bin/chromium-browser "$@" --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chromium/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chromium/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
EDIT:

For info: To install google-chrome, it needs to be added to sources (64 bit only):

# Add google-chrome repo to sources
echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
# Get the signed key
wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add -
apt-get update   # required because repo sources has been changed
# Install
apt-get install google-chrome-stable

To run google-chrome as user puppy:

#!/bin/sh

su puppy -c "/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable "$@" --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
Fred

belham2

#961 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham, this script works for me on Bionicdog (to run as user puppy):

#!/bin/sh

su puppy -c "/usr/bin/chromium-browser "$@" --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chromium/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chromium/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
EDIT:

For info: To install google-chrome, it needs to be added to sources (64 bit only):

# Add google-chrome repo to sources
echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
# Get the signed key
wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add -
apt-get update   # required because repo sources has been changed
# Install
apt-get install google-chrome-stable

To run google-chrome as user puppy:

#!/bin/sh

su puppy -c "/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable "$@" --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
Fred

Thanks, Fred! Chromium now running great----I had the "user-data" stuff right, but messed up the "su puppy -c..." part. I wrote it down on a 3x5 index card so I don't forget next time...I'm getting too old to fool myself in thinking I can remember everything :wink:

fredx181

#962 Post by fredx181 »

Although weX is working perfectly OK as a screen recorder, here's how to install Simple Screen Recorder on XenialDog (takes much more space):
First you need to add the "maarten-baert" ppa to the repo sources, so in terminal:

add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder
apt-get update  # update package lists
apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
That's it !

Fred

wiak

#963 Post by wiak »

Yes, that's exactly the installation method I always use when wanting to compare SSR capture quality, GUI interface, and functionality to weX. There are some advantages to SSR and other advantages to weX...

wiak ;-)

hamoudoudou

Synaptic for Wex

#964 Post by hamoudoudou »

wex:
Depends: ffmpeg but it is not going to be installed
Depends: weav but it is not installable
Depends: scrox but it is not installable
It is just feedbac.. I will not screen cast with XenialDog.. StretchDog has it available and SSR too
pAVrecord 9.0.5 provided by synaptic needs avconv.. Load it (synaptic will join stuff needed). Settings : choose x264 ..

fredx181

Re: Synaptic for Wex

#965 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:wex:
Depends: ffmpeg but it is not going to be installed
Depends: weav but it is not installable
Depends: scrox but it is not installable
It is just feedbac.. I will not screen cast with XenialDog.. StretchDog has it available and SSR too
pAVrecord 9.0.5 provided by synaptic needs avconv.. Load it (synaptic will join stuff needed). Settings : choose x264 ..
Yes, my mistake, fixed now (forgot earlier to include weav in repo)
Need to update package lists first before installing weX, "Reload" from synaptic, or with apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install wex
Thanks for reporting !

Fred