XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

#961 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham, this script works for me on Bionicdog (to run as user puppy):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

xhost +local:puppy

su puppy -c "/usr/bin/chromium-browser "$@" --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chromium/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chromium/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
EDIT:

For info: To install google-chrome, it needs to be added to sources (64 bit only):

# Add google-chrome repo to sources
echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
# Get the signed key
wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | apt-key add -
apt-get update   # required because repo sources has been changed
# Install
apt-get install google-chrome-stable

To run google-chrome as user puppy:

#!/bin/sh

xhost +local:puppy

su puppy -c "/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable "$@" --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
Fred

Thanks, Fred! Chromium now running great----I had the "user-data" stuff right, but messed up the "su puppy -c..." part. I wrote it down on a 3x5 index card so I don't forget next time...I'm getting too old to fool myself in thinking I can remember everything :wink:

fredx181

#962 Post by fredx181 »

Although weX is working perfectly OK as a screen recorder, here's how to install Simple Screen Recorder on XenialDog (takes much more space):
First you need to add the "maarten-baert" ppa to the repo sources, so in terminal:

add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder
apt-get update  # update package lists
apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
That's it !

Fred

wiak

#963 Post by wiak »

Yes, that's exactly the installation method I always use when wanting to compare SSR capture quality, GUI interface, and functionality to weX. There are some advantages to SSR and other advantages to weX...

wiak ;-)

hamoudoudou

Synaptic for Wex

#964 Post by hamoudoudou »

wex:
Depends: ffmpeg but it is not going to be installed
Depends: weav but it is not installable
Depends: scrox but it is not installable
It is just feedbac.. I will not screen cast with XenialDog.. StretchDog has it available and SSR too
pAVrecord 9.0.5 provided by synaptic needs avconv.. Load it (synaptic will join stuff needed). Settings : choose x264 ..

fredx181

Re: Synaptic for Wex

#965 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:wex:
Depends: ffmpeg but it is not going to be installed
Depends: weav but it is not installable
Depends: scrox but it is not installable
It is just feedbac.. I will not screen cast with XenialDog.. StretchDog has it available and SSR too
pAVrecord 9.0.5 provided by synaptic needs avconv.. Load it (synaptic will join stuff needed). Settings : choose x264 ..
Yes, my mistake, fixed now (forgot earlier to include weav in repo)
Need to update package lists first before installing weX, "Reload" from synaptic, or with apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install wex
Thanks for reporting !

Fred

fredx181

#966 Post by fredx181 »

*** Set system shell to dash ***

In Ubuntu and Debian official, the system shell is /bin/dash, it means that /bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/dash.
In XenialDog (and other 'Dogs') the system-shell is bash (sh > bash).
This because we wanted to include scripts using "gtkdialog" for a graphical interface.
Some of these scripts didn't work properly with sh > dash. Without going in technical details, that was the reason that we made sh symlink to bash, to overcome that problem.

Now, thanks to wiak, there's gtkwialog that will make it possible to have sh > dash without having to change much in the scripts (several needed shebang change to #!/bin/bash, therefore some packages need to be upgraded, see below 3) )

To transform your XenialDog system for to use dash as system-shell, follow these simple steps:

1)
Type in terminal:

dpkg-reconfigure dash
│ Using dash as the system shell will improve the system's overall performance. │
│ It does not alter the shell presented to interactive users. │
│ │
│ Use dash as the default system shell (/bin/sh)?
You will get the above dialog, then choose "Yes"

2)
Install new version of "porteusbootscripts":

apt-get update # is required, several packages need to be upgraded
apt-get install porteusbootscripts
3)
To upgrade, you can do: (will upgrade all packages that have newer version available):

apt-get upgrade
Or: (to upgrade only the packages from Xenial 'Dog' repository, this is in fact only required)

origin="xenialdog"
INSTALL=$(
for package in $(dpkg -l | awk '/ii/{print $2}'); do
    if apt-cache policy $package | grep -q "$origin"; then
        echo $package
    fi
done
)
apt-get install $INSTALL
Just copy and paste the above in terminal.
(is a bit slow, needs to filter first before install, note: it will say that a number of packages is already the newest version, this can be ignored, just install the available upgrades)
This will also install a new version of the "gtkdialog" package, which includes "gtkwialog" (gtkdialog is symlink to gtkwialog in /usr/bin)

That's it !

Fred

Max Headroom

#967 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Fred & Co, I've just installed this on a HP Pavilion DM1 NetBook, DualCore AMD 1.4 GHz, 3 GB RAMemory, Frugal install on eXt4 FS, When I first installed it, it Booted OK, But at some point after installing a package that I can't recall, it's Slowed down Seriously, I don't want 2 re-install again ( altho I know it's just a matter of a New changes Folder, some of those packages aRe a bit big & I've already done re-created the changes folder 4 or 5 times... )

So I'd Really Appreciate some Help TroubleShooting the issue & Simple Solution(s?). I Need this NetBook w/ the XenialDog OS Running Smoothly 4 a Demo in 3 days time so it's kind of Urgent!

I do know the dmesg command, But I don't know if it's appropriate in this instance? I Guess I'll Need 2 Copy & Paste CLi Output or Capture ScreenShots. I don't know if the solution is editing scripts or conf files? What's idiot-proof? ;-)

I'm rather Stressed at the moment, because the LandLady is eXpected in about 40 mins for a Property inspection & Need 2 Make 100 Computers disappear from the Basement & Garage which is whY I Need this NetBook Operating Sweetly at the Demo in 3 days time for an Appeal 4 Storage...

:? K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

fredx181

#968 Post by fredx181 »

Max Headroom wrote:When I first installed it, it Booted OK, But at some point after installing a package that I can't recall, it's Slowed down Seriously
I'd help if I could, but I have no idea what could have happened.
What exactly slowed down ? boot time.. running applications... which applications...
The package you installed was it from Ubuntu or one of the custom packages from 'Dog' repository ?

You can type top in terminal and see if there is some process using extreme memory or cpu.

Fred

Max Headroom

#969 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx Fred 4 your Reply, it's the Booting time that's the Problem, there was a Lot More Stuff Happening after Call Trace, taking a Long Time, But it's Hard 2 Put my Finger on it, Otherwise once the Desktop is Loaded, it's Fine, as I can easily See from Conky....

Any Other ideas Welcome Please!

:? K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

fredx181

#970 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Max,
Ah, long boot time... you don't have any idea what you did that could have caused it ?
Did you do a kernel upgrade maybe? Anyway please post the output of:

uname -a
And indeed have look at dmesg, or post the output here (as attachment, with fake .gz), e.g. :

dmesg > dmesg-out
Fred

Max Headroom

#971 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Fred, Apologies 4 not Replying sooner w/ the Results, But Unfortunately my Plans have been Derailed by a Family eMergency & so haven't been able 2 Post yoU the Output, Actually I had Trouble doing so, so ReBooted, But Unfortunately it's Hung, Meaning Now I don't have much choice @ this late time, but 2 ReCreate another change Folder. I Hope this hasn't inconvenienced yoU. :oops: K

quantumbox

RemasterDog After Upgrading BionicDog

#972 Post by quantumbox »

Start fresh bionicdog with new save folder then upgrade ubuntu, then RemasterDog. I use this squashfs file for another save folder on another machine, delete old squashfs, but it seems not upgraded. Whats wrong with my configuration.

johnywhy

#973 Post by johnywhy »

hi, i found some issues in Jessie. Anyone know if these are fixed in XenialDog or any other DebianDog release?

Desktop: Trash icon doesn't appear, when turned on in Desktop settings.

Appearance:
- Mouse-pointer themes don't work
- Hinting settings not saved (not sure if they even work)

Workspaces: Can't adjust number of workspaces. Workspace switcher properties gives error on click "Workspace settings"
Unable to open the workspace settings. Failed to execute child process "xfwm4-workspace-settings" (No such file or directory.
Thx for DebianDog!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

dancytron

#974 Post by dancytron »

johnywhy wrote:/snip

Appearance:
- Mouse-pointer themes don't work
/snip

Take a look here where I describe how I got mouse pointer themes to work in Debian Dog Stretch. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 038#972038

johnywhy

#975 Post by johnywhy »

Thx, dancytron!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

fredx181

#976 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:Workspaces: Can't adjust number of workspaces. Workspace switcher properties gives error on click "Workspace settings"
Quote:
Unable to open the workspace settings. Failed to execute child process "xfwm4-workspace-settings" (No such file or directory.
Yes, that doesn't work, but you can set it in the "Openbox Configuration manager" in Menu > Settings
(Tab "Desktops")

Fred

zagreb999

slimjet, chromium last

#977 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

is there latest slimjet, chromium
for xenialdog and dd 32 bit?

fredx181

#978 Post by fredx181 »

@zagreb,
Try the slimjet deb perhaps ?
https://www.slimjet.com/en/postdl.php?v ... 2&type=deb
Chromium is in the repository AFAIK.

zagreb999

djview4

#979 Post by zagreb999 »

fred,
is it possible to kreate sfs (or install)
djview4?

thanks.

dancytron

Re: djview4

#980 Post by dancytron »

zagreb999 wrote:fred,
is it possible to kreate sfs (or install)
djview4?

thanks.
You should be able to use apt-get. It is in the repositories.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?sea ... ds=djview4