Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Aug 2018, 14:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
I feel sorry!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 3 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 12:23    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Aside from that, most people in society find such images, at least in this sort of context, objectionable. That's an unspoken-but-agreed-upon thing en masse
I would like to make a general comment about how we should react when someone pushes the boundaries of what constitutes "offensive" or "objectionable" behaviour:

We have a choice to accept their right to indulge in that behaviour - or we can take that freedom away from them - as if our rights are more important than theirs.

In New Zealand and Australia we have just celebrated an annual national holiday which reveres the actions of ANZAC forces in the first world war. The driving spirit of that celebration is recognition that those soldiers gave their lives so that we could experience freedom.

Our forces fought to the death against those who would dominate us and tell us what to do. The same spirit drove the American pioneers to rebel against mother England. So why would we now capitulate and allow ourselves to lose freedom and have our behaviours driven by those who are afraid of imagery around the human body?

Are we now to have our lives shaped by those who indulge in bodyshaming? Will we ban pictures of fat people?

Always remember this - if you don't stand up against the tyranny of bodyshamers you will end up having to hide your wifes ankles, knees, thighs, and probably face - behind a dark veil that prevents other men being offended by the sight of such things.

As someone pointed out - it is laughable that we consider children might be damaged by the sight of breasts. Expression of sexuality is a core part of the human experience. Lets please not adopt the viewpoint that men should stop being men, and that women should stop looking like women. Those who are offended by gender based imagery need to own their own feelings and as JamesC said "Don't look".

I would prefer that easily offended people would stay home, hide themselves behind a dark veil and pull their internet cable out of the wall rather than demanding the rest of us behave like puritans. The right to offend is part of the right to free speech - without which the ANZAC (and other) sacrifices were completely worthless.

( @ )( @ )

Geoffrey - that's brilliant !
Size 18 indeed!
starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 12:55    Post subject:  

That's pretty detailed for what amounts to a flimsy rationalization.

You know what? I have better things to do than argue with idiots on the Internet who don't give two figs about what I say. Do what you want. If you get arrested for it, well, at least you were warned. Also I don't want to hear it.

I'm going to go reorganize my kitchen pantry.

0xdawg

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 13:10    Post subject:  

moar ( @ )( @ )
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 14:08    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
starhawk wrote:
Aside from that, most people in society find such images, at least in this sort of context, objectionable. That's an unspoken-but-agreed-upon thing en masse
I would like to make a general comment about how we should react when someone pushes the boundaries of what constitutes "offensive" or "objectionable" behaviour:

We have a choice to accept their right to indulge in that behaviour - or we can take that freedom away from them - as if our rights are more important than theirs.

In New Zealand and Australia we have just celebrated an annual national holiday which reveres the actions of ANZAC forces in the first world war. The driving spirit of that celebration is recognition that those soldiers gave their lives so that we could experience freedom.

Our forces fought to the death against those who would dominate us and tell us what to do. The same spirit drove the American pioneers to rebel against mother England. So why would we now capitulate and allow ourselves to lose freedom and have our behaviours driven by those who are afraid of imagery around the human body?

Are we now to have our lives shaped by those who indulge in bodyshaming? Will we ban pictures of fat people?

Always remember this - if you don't stand up against the tyranny of bodyshamers you will end up having to hide your wifes ankles, knees, thighs, and probably face - behind a dark veil that prevents other men being offended by the sight of such things.

As someone pointed out - it is laughable that we consider children might be damaged by the sight of breasts. Expression of sexuality is a core part of the human experience. Lets please not adopt the viewpoint that men should stop being men, and that women should stop looking like women. Those who are offended by gender based imagery need to own their own feelings and as JamesC said "Don't look".

I would prefer that easily offended people would stay home, hide themselves behind a dark veil and pull their internet cable out of the wall rather than demanding the rest of us behave like puritans. The right to offend is part of the right to free speech - without which the ANZAC (and other) sacrifices were completely worthless.

( @ )( @ )

Geoffrey - that's brilliant !
Size 18 indeed!

Well said.

smokey01

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:46    Post subject:  

Many years ago I ran a node in FidoNet (3:640/712), some of you may remember it.

One of the policies was "One should not be excessively annoying and one should not be too easily annoyed"

Seems appropriate here too Laughing

LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 18:51    Post subject:  

I'm again sorry.

But this time for creating this topic.

It wasn't my intention to end up here where it currently stands.

Sorry!!!

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
Page 3 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: