Vote: Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

Promote Puppy !

Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

Yes, I exclusively use Puppy Linux
32%
Yes, I exclusively use Puppy and other Linux(es)
20%
No, I mainly use Linux but keep Windows around
34%
No, I use Linux but also use Windows a lot
14%

Total votes: 91

Burn_IT

#16 Post by Burn_IT »

Bit difficult to not use Windows at the office.

Also doing hardware and software support for other people requires many different machine configurations and unfortunately Puppy doesn't feature high on the list.

I always try to leave a copy of Puppy on machines that I support - often "hidden" amongst my support files that the client is expected to leave alone.
If I think thy may possibly fiddle I leave a less hidden version for them to "find". That has led to a couple of "I've heard about this friendly version of Linux........"

And of course there is always the "What OS are you using to recover my files?"
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

peterw

Favourite is Puppy

#17 Post by peterw »

Hi

Just adding my reasons for voting as I have. I use various versions of Puppy and they are my favourite systems. However, there are other boxes running Mythbuntu which have proved very reliable My wife uses a Chromebook which does all she wants and she does not get into difficulty with it which is a result. I generally dual boot my machines with various distros.

Now the confession. I have an old laptop that has Vista on it. There are some occasions when you need Windows. For instance when you want to restore a "broken" SDHC card and since they have built in DRM the contents of which are not public you sometimes need a Windows or Mac system. Also, I have been "playing" with Android phones and whilst you can go a long way with Linux there are some procedures that are set out exclusively for a Windows system and rather than risk bricking the phone I have taken the cowards way out and used my copy of Vista.

peterw

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

When I get fed up with Puppy (it happens every once and while), I use PCLinuxOS.
I have no WhineDose on my active machine.

Surprised but happy to see Linuxes hovering at around 50 % in the poll.
We've come a long way! Let's keep this up!

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tallboy

#19 Post by tallboy »

I'm clean now! 8)

So, strictly Linux for me, some Debian, but usually Puppy. :D

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

puppyluvr

#20 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I can't say Puppy exclusively, because I use Debiandog.
And Quirky.. And Mintpup..
But other than that...
8 years...
My only use for Windoze is to be familiar with all the versions, if I need to help someone.
So I have all versions bootable, but rarely booted, and NEVER connected to the net.
My sig says it all...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

rufwoof

#21 Post by rufwoof »

puppyluvr wrote:I can't say Puppy exclusively, because I use Debiandog.
Ditto - best of Puppy (frugal boot, optional save etc.), best of repository/stability/updates.

smokey01

#22 Post by smokey01 »

I had to use windows when I was working but now that I'm retired it's Puppy Linux and derivatives only. At home it's been Puppy Linux since about version 1.09.
My Computer, My Operating System, My Way. I don't like being held to ransom.

01micko

#23 Post by 01micko »

Keisha wrote:Fedora-23 (in its Korora-23-xfce4 guise) as the daily driver
Quite nice. Chris Smart has done a great job with it. Australian too. :)

I have no need of windows. I did my computer course entirely on Puppy and Fedora, apart from 'lab' work with windows server.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Scooby

#24 Post by Scooby »

voted "Puppy and other Linux(es)", really it is other Linuxes.

At the office: windows, cannot use Linux? Does that count as some windows??

Thought I was going to have to install win at home when bank required Swedish bankid.
All swe banks dropped support for bankid on linux 2014.
Banks..huh..yeah, what are they good for? Absolutely nothing!

But some guys taught me to use chrome - App Runtime for Chrome (ARC) - android bankid on my Linux
This is not ideal but better than have to get windows again, right.

Typically the whole capitalist industry neglects the Linux users, I hate that.

8Geee

#25 Post by 8Geee »

EEEpc user since 2008 (Xandros Linux). In 2013 Puppy Slacko5.5-XL, now Slacko5.7 of my own spin. Many thanks to all who make Puppy an excellent distro. No Android, Windows, etc. just Puppy.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Pelo

I will never use Linux

#26 Post by Pelo »

I will never use Linux, only Puppy !
Linux CDs sold with magazine are still in a box, in the deep back of a drawer, forgotten for eternity.
It would be the same for windows too ! But why delete it, as Puppy is so tiny to get a place beside, or better not using hard-disk at all, just pendrives, in your pocket like coins or banknotes.
I had a Puppy 4.3.1 on a mini CD, in my wallet, to go at work. To do what i had to do with it, generally loading pets and print some files, because at home, i had no suscribed ADSL (expensive more than windows). I had a computer, of course, bought 50 euros (vendor was my boss, who always surprised me when i was with Puppy on the screen !)
I did'not know in these lonely times that Puppy was for Linux students only, not for the home entertainment as written on the reviews.
About Internet, most employees were allowed to use internet at work only since 2008. not before. Internet is the evil for the productivity, said the boss, and he was right. Linux too, i should add, our students hardly produce a pupplet to get their licence in July
I remarked than european people have much more imagination than the orverseas citizen of her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth, either for Puppies or applications. Vive la France, vive Pelo, vive moi ! :P .
An exception is Barry Kauler, he still make foolish tries ! Pupils only imitate (or clone).
43% vote as me... Well, nice :!:

nitehawk

#27 Post by nitehawk »

I use only Linux. But I simply HAVE to keep a copy of Win7 on my main machines,...as grandkids come over and have to have it for their homeschooling programs and such. Grandson is uber-hooked on the MUGEN game engine (which won't run on Linux).

I mostly love the smaller distros (Puppy and Debian-based). But experiment with different ones. Right now Barry's Quirky Xerus, and MX-15 are my main "Go-To's". I also am fond of Stella,...PCLinuxOS,...Vector,...Mageia. But MX-15 seems to be carrying-on where Simply Mepis left off. So good.

nitehawk

Re: I will never use Linux

#28 Post by nitehawk »

Pelo wrote: I had a Puppy 4.3.1 on a mini CD, in my wallet, to go at work. To do what i had to do with it,
....and wasn't that a totally LOVELY Puppy??? (Was one of my favorites! I still keep a copy of it around).

nic007

#29 Post by nic007 »

I use Puppy almost exclusively. Today I used Windows 10 to run a programme I couldn't get going with Wine, worked a bit in Windows and then listened to music. Having used the same mp3 player in Puppy, I was astonished how much better the sound quality was when using Windows (same settings, same machine). Vivid and clear. Are the Windows sound drivers just that much better than that of Linux? Mmmm. Perhaps I should spend more time learning the ins and outs of Windows 10, get the annoying popups and automatic updates sorted and use it more frequently.

musher0

#30 Post by musher0 »

Hi nic007.

What were you listening to? Online radio, youtube, a music file?

I don't know anything about comparing sound drivers, but maybe we can try to get
the most out of what we've got? What I'm getting at is this:

If it was some music file, like an mp3 or a ogg, was it the same file you listened
to on your WhineDose 10 and your Puppy?

Perhaps the ripping and encoding was not done initially with high quality in mind.
And once you've lost the quality of the sound while encoding from wav to ogg, for
example, you cannot get the quality back...

Maybe review your ripper configuration and bring up the quality parameters?

People (including me) don't realize this at first. They use the ripper's default settings
and then they complain about poor sound quality... Rippers are usually set for "so-
so" quality and medium-sized files. To get the best quality sound out of your ripping,
you have to not care about the resulting size of your ogg or mp3 file.

Better sound quality means bigger sound files. If you have the possibility to rip /
encode to FLAC, use that: it is a lossless format with really excellent listening
quality. But also the BIGGEST file size.

I hope my 2¢ are making sense?! BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Pelo

Caution with Puppy, the more powerful the computers are

#31 Post by Pelo »

Its a reality, sound is tree times better in Windows.
Even the same CD.. Even burnt with Linux.. Or listening You Tube..
There is no secret, if 95% of people keep on Windows, they are not idiot.
But perhaps 50 % of the remaining 5% like computing.. and choose Puppy..

Now Puppy is more to study Puppy, than to use it. It's only an opinion.
And there is also the pleasure to speak english :)
Imagine if Puppy was only in french, how many of you would use it ?
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 14 May 2016, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#32 Post by nic007 »

Hi musher0. I use XMplay which is a windows application but also runs well in Wine. It's much better than any other linux application (and any other Windows player I have ever used) as far as quality of sound is concerned. The reason for this is that it's able to use the old Winamp plugins eg. Enhancer which is a DSP plugin and really makes a massive difference. As said, same application/ same settings/same songs. Sounds good in Puppy but crisper and more vibrant when using Windows. Having used Puppy now exclusively for quite a long time I forgot how good it sounds in Windows. It was a bit of a wow moment for me to be quite honest.

Pelo

I will try XMplay !

#33 Post by Pelo »

I will try XMplay !

nic007

Re: I will try XMplay !

#34 Post by nic007 »

Pelo wrote:I will try XMplay !
Remember to download and install the Enhancer 017 dsp plugin too. Download it from the Xmplay support site

grump

#35 Post by grump »

I only use Pups on one laptop, and while I used Precise for quite a while something broke software wise and I could not fix it. Most other Pups I've tried since then have been less than pleasing on the laptop (it's a HP with a Broadcom wifi chip). Things like the wifi needing to be setup each time I start, not being able to get Chrome working properly, not being able to get sound working properly, having to setup everything each time it starts etc. Not all at the same time mind you, but just some issues with various versions.

I used to use Puppy for all my internet banking after a password scare, but now that I have an iPad I don't feel the need to use Puppy for that purpose.

I like Windows 10 - it works well, is reliable and has no setup issues. I play with Puppies every now and then, and when I find a reliable version I'll go back to using it.

I see Puppy as something to play with - I'm not a tin foil hat user. I appreciate all the work that ppl put into developing the Puppies, and the help I've got in this forum over the years.