Vote: Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

Promote Puppy !

Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

Yes, I exclusively use Puppy Linux
32%
Yes, I exclusively use Puppy and other Linux(es)
20%
No, I mainly use Linux but keep Windows around
34%
No, I use Linux but also use Windows a lot
14%

Total votes: 91

Pelo

Caution with Puppy, the more powerful the computers are

#31 Post by Pelo »

Its a reality, sound is tree times better in Windows.
Even the same CD.. Even burnt with Linux.. Or listening You Tube..
There is no secret, if 95% of people keep on Windows, they are not idiot.
But perhaps 50 % of the remaining 5% like computing.. and choose Puppy..

Now Puppy is more to study Puppy, than to use it. It's only an opinion.
And there is also the pleasure to speak english :)
Imagine if Puppy was only in french, how many of you would use it ?
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 14 May 2016, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#32 Post by nic007 »

Hi musher0. I use XMplay which is a windows application but also runs well in Wine. It's much better than any other linux application (and any other Windows player I have ever used) as far as quality of sound is concerned. The reason for this is that it's able to use the old Winamp plugins eg. Enhancer which is a DSP plugin and really makes a massive difference. As said, same application/ same settings/same songs. Sounds good in Puppy but crisper and more vibrant when using Windows. Having used Puppy now exclusively for quite a long time I forgot how good it sounds in Windows. It was a bit of a wow moment for me to be quite honest.

Pelo

I will try XMplay !

#33 Post by Pelo »

I will try XMplay !

nic007

Re: I will try XMplay !

#34 Post by nic007 »

Pelo wrote:I will try XMplay !
Remember to download and install the Enhancer 017 dsp plugin too. Download it from the Xmplay support site

grump

#35 Post by grump »

I only use Pups on one laptop, and while I used Precise for quite a while something broke software wise and I could not fix it. Most other Pups I've tried since then have been less than pleasing on the laptop (it's a HP with a Broadcom wifi chip). Things like the wifi needing to be setup each time I start, not being able to get Chrome working properly, not being able to get sound working properly, having to setup everything each time it starts etc. Not all at the same time mind you, but just some issues with various versions.

I used to use Puppy for all my internet banking after a password scare, but now that I have an iPad I don't feel the need to use Puppy for that purpose.

I like Windows 10 - it works well, is reliable and has no setup issues. I play with Puppies every now and then, and when I find a reliable version I'll go back to using it.

I see Puppy as something to play with - I'm not a tin foil hat user. I appreciate all the work that ppl put into developing the Puppies, and the help I've got in this forum over the years.

nic007

#36 Post by nic007 »

Another thing I have noticed running Puppy. The machine seems to be running "hotter" in comparison to when using Windows. Using Puppy the fan of my laptop stays on almost all of the time, not so when using Windows. :cry:

Scooby

#37 Post by Scooby »

nic007 wrote:Another thing I have noticed running Puppy. The machine seems to be running "hotter" in comparison to when using Windows. Using Puppy the fan of my laptop stays on almost all of the time, not so when using Windows. :cry:
Maybe you could use a cpu governor or a different one
if you allready have one

check out
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 865#903865

Burn_IT

#38 Post by Burn_IT »

What make Laptop??
Both Lenovo and Dell have fan control applications that run under Puppy.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

nic007

#39 Post by nic007 »

HP Compaq

Burn_IT

#40 Post by Burn_IT »

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... 32.519840/

I don't have an HP so I cannot advise!!

Billtoo

#41 Post by Billtoo »

I use Puppy quite a lot, quirky and other linux.
Also have an Acer Chromebook that I use a lot.

nic007

#42 Post by nic007 »

No problem when running Windows. Perhaps I should just use Windows instead. Sound is also better running Windows.

grump

#43 Post by grump »

Speaking of sound, after a bit of testing I found the CD ripper 'PCdRipper' that come in some Pups does a better job of ripping than just about anything else I've tried - and I've tried quite a few. The rips seem to have more detail in them - just my opinion though.

When I compared I used the same quality settings each time - but it was a while ago now.

nic007

#44 Post by nic007 »

grump wrote:Speaking of sound, after a bit of testing I found the CD ripper 'PCdRipper' that come in some Pups does a better job of ripping than just about anything else I've tried - and I've tried quite a few. The rips seem to have more detail in them - just my opinion though.

When I compared I used the same quality settings each time - but it was a while ago now.
The quality of the encoded file will depend on the encoder used (normally lame is used for mp3 encoding). Also some versions of the encoder may perform better than others using the same settings (better quality, faster). And then of course your sound card and sound drivers will also make a difference i.r.o the output quality of the sound. The actual applications "guiding" the encoding process shouldn't make much of a difference if the same encoder and settings are used. The process may be smoother but I doubt the quality of the output file will be affected.

Sailor Enceladus

#45 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

nic007 wrote:Another thing I have noticed running Puppy. The machine seems to be running "hotter" in comparison to when using Windows. Using Puppy the fan of my laptop stays on almost all of the time, not so when using Windows. :cry:
Scooby wrote:Maybe you could use a cpu governor or a different one
Yes, on older puppies I had to change Menu -> System -> CPU Frequency Tool governor from "performance" to "ondemand". Newer puppies (with kernel 3.12 or higher) had ondemand set automatically. In Dos/Win98 I had to use a tool called sstep.

ahoppin

#46 Post by ahoppin »

I still use Windows 2000 for midi music, mostly because it's what I'm used to and it works. Also, the software's paid for. It's old enough that it doesn't phone home, or nag me to upgrade it.

I have Puppy Studio, Dream Studio, Avlinux, Artistx, and a couple of other multimedia distros. I've dabbled a bit with Rosegarden, but haven't taken the time to try to really learn to use it. Maybe someday.

I use Windows 98 on an old laptop as a printer server, mostly because my printers are ancient. They have Windows maintenance software that doesn't work under Wine. Puppy has no trouble printing through that server. Since it's not doing anything else, Win98 stays up for months at a time.

Those are the only two Windows machines I still use with any regularity.

I refused to buy Windows XP because of the EULA. I'm not going to agree to let Bill Gates "update" my OS for any reason he wants. I do however have XP on an aging Thinkpad that fell into my hands. I've used it a couple of times for software that I just couldn't run any other way. I guess its days are numbered though, now that XP is almost as moribund as Win2K.

Other than that, it's all Puppy around here. We have 3 machines running full installations of Lucid 5.2.5, one full Precise 5.7.1, a frugal Precise, a Wary 5.5, and a frugal Slacko 6.3.0.

It's all oldish hardware. The newest is from 2009, oldest around 2000. Don't need anything faster, don't want anything newer, won't let UEFI into the house.

I recently tried a couple of other non-systemd (allegedly) compact live distros, just to see if I was missing anything.

Antix Live ran pretty nicely from USB, but I didn't like the window managers. It's also kind of big for a supposedly compact distro, over 700mb.

Salix XFCE Live, also over 700mb, wouldn't boot on my primary machine, which isn't that old (2009). Oddly, it did boot on a couple of even older machines. But it felt alien. It's way more locked down than Puppy. It wouldn't let me log in as root.

When I was running as the default live user ('one') it demanded a password (which it didn't reveal) to download audio codecs. At that point I hit the off button and tossed the DVD-R in the trash. Life's too short.

So I'm still walking the Puppy.

One thing that gobsmacks me is that Slackware 14.1 is 2.3gb, and Slacko 6.3.0 is 208mb. How you compressed Slackware by more than 11:1 is beyond my ken, but it makes me happy. Thanks.

Burn_IT

#47 Post by Burn_IT »

By removing duplicate functions mostly - I think.

nic007

#48 Post by nic007 »

Have to say Wary Puppy is pretty good and solid. Still using Wary 5.3.90 which I suppose was a "beta" release of Wary 5.5. It's the only Puppy that works 100% on my 10 year old laptop and previous desktops. All the others I have used (well except for Puppy 412 which was also excellent) had some niggles, some more than others.

Mike Walsh

#49 Post by Mike Walsh »

I mostly use Puppy Linux as my 'daily driver', but also have a copy of XP Pro hanging around for....well, you know; just in case, like..!

Much prefer using Puppy, but there's just one or two things which, even though I run them in Puppy under WINE, still seem to work just that wee bit better under the system they were designed for. (*sigh*)

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 24 May 2016, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Robert123

#50 Post by Robert123 »

Most of the time LinuxBBQ and other Debian based distros and sometimes Puppy and austrumi on my 32bit Irons.

Only occasionally do I use my Wife's Win7 machine.