No Synaptics

Using applications, configuring, problems
wmichaelb

No Synaptics

#1 Post by wmichaelb »

Hi, I just installed and updated Tahr on an old Inspiron 4100 PIII that was given to me, but the cursor wanders around by itself. I can move it with the trackpad, but it won't sit still - until after I've plugged in a mouse, and then unplugged it. ??? In any case, when I try to click on Setup/Mouse-Keyboard/Trackpad, I get an error message with flsynclient:

"Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?"

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.7.4 shows up in PPM as having been installed. Is there some other package that I'm missing?

Thanks in andvance.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

I've always gone to great lengths to remove Synaptics drivers from my machines with touchpads.
It never seemed to stop the pad from working in simple mode and I have never used any advanced multifingered gestures (except at the drivers) anyway.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Burn_IT wrote:I've always gone to great lengths to remove Synaptics drivers from my machines with touchpads.
It never seemed to stop the pad from working in simple mode and I have never used any advanced multifingered gestures (except at the drivers) anyway.
Have you ever disabled synaptics within Slacko 5.6? Keen to try that.
Also - how do you modify touchpad properties if flsynclient isnt available to use?
Cheers

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

I don't use Slacko.
I only use Lucid based Puppies (or older)
I don't use a touchpad at all if I can help it. I carry a small USB powered mouse.
Even when I am forced to use a touchpad, I only move the pointer and tap for click or use the buttons.

As I thought I mentioned, I have never found any special drivers needed for any laptop pointing device above the standard mouse drivers.

I've now got to reboot into Puppy to check ALL the "nipples" and pads on this T43P
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett