Ndiswrapper confusion..? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Timmy

Ndiswrapper confusion..? (Solved)

#1 Post by Timmy »

Hi, I've just today started to use Puppy (good job, I really like it!) on an oldish laptop. I have done a HDD install using the Live CD.

I'm a little confused by Ndiswrapper. I followed the Newbie How-to install wireless video and knew from a previous Linux install (Damn Small Linux) that I have to use Ndiswrapper to get my wireless card working. It's a Belkin 54G USB card that uses the Prism2 USB Chipset (I think thats right!)

Anyway, following the Ndiswrapper instructions within Puppy, it says:

"1. You need to be running Pup 1.0.5alpha2 or later, and the file /mnt/home/user_devx.sfs -- which has Perl -- must be loaded."

This is where I get baffled, as I can't find the directory mentioned, let alone the file! I'm sure I'm running Puppy 2.x.x at least.

Ignoring this, I tried the following:

made the directory /wireless, copied the files from my card install CD to this directory, then:

ndiswrapper -i /wireless/bknUSB.inf

which results in the following:
sh-3.00# ndiswrapper -i /wireless/bknUSB.inf
Installing bknusb
couldn't copy /wireless/bknUSB.inf at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 144.
sh-3.00#

Me being bloody minded, I tried ndiswrapper -l anyway:
sh-3.00#ndiswrapper -l
Installed Drivers:
bknusb invalid driver!
sh-3.00#

But this is definatly the correct driver. It comes from the CD supplied with the card and this self-same driver has been used to get wirless conectivity up & running on Damn Small Linux. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be missing (and why?) and also how to rectify the situation?

Many thanks!
Tim
--
Edit:
Solved with a fresh install of Puppy. Ndiswrapper worked right out of the box this time (same CD as well!). So my wireless card is now connected!
Last edited by Timmy on Fri 01 Sep 2006, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

First off, those directions didn't take into account that you're using a harddrive install. With the other methods, /mnt/home is the location where the pup_save file is. You don't have one, so I believe you'd put the file in / instead. The file it's mentioning, usr_devx.sfs, is now called devx_XXX.sfs, where XXX is the version of Puppy you are running. You can get it here.

I believe all you have to do is download the devx_XXX.sfs file for the version you're running, stick it in /, and reboot. If not, someone who knows more about the harddrive installation will be able to tell you.

Once it's installed, you should be able to install the driver fine.

Good luck!
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Timmy

#3 Post by Timmy »

Many thanks! I'll have to give that a try when I get Puppy working again.. I don't know what I've done, but it currently refuses to boot, something about sbin/init: /lib/lib.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.x.x` not found (required by /sbin/init)

With various different GLIC_2 versions mentioned. My hair is rapidly thinning!

Guess it's a question for a different part of the forums however!

Tim