Legacy OS

News, happenings
john biles

Legacy OS

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Legacy OS 2.1 is still being downloaded at a rate of 200 to 300 times per week.
I was hoping to have released a update by now but due to my wife being seriously ill for the last 6 months, her and the families care had to come first.

To celebrate 10 years of TEENpup and Legacy OS in 2017 the next update will come late 2016 early 2017. There will be some nice stuff in the next release.

Now the my wife is hopefully on the mend I can put the required time in to getting the next release ready.

Check out the new Control Panel coming in the next release.
Attachments
Control Panel.png
(93.77 KiB) Downloaded 1005 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

" my wife being seriously ill for the last 6 months "

Family first JB....hang in there.

Cheers...and best wishes to your wife....Chris.

nitehawk

#3 Post by nitehawk »

So sorry to hear about your wife's illness, john biles. The thought of a new Legacy sounds really great, though. Best wishes your way on your family. Work on Legacy when you can get the time.

Pelo

One of the great distros !

#4 Post by Pelo »

One of the great distros ! Nobody talks about it ! Thousands of users. You have it, you keep it, at least in two different places.

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

@john biles -- I'm interested in trying Legacy OS on a very unusual system of mine. It is a Wyse Cx0-series "thin client" -- mine, equivalent to a modified C90LEW, has 2gb RAM and a 64gb SD card in SD-to-IDE adapter as its "hard drive", in addition to the the specifications as given here.

A couple of oddities exist with this system.

One, it requires that the "openchrome" Xorg driver/module be a version that is not 0.3.3. Version 0.3.3 of openchrome is the one that ships with TahrPup as well as any distro based on Ubuntu 14.04LTS Trusty Tahr. That version is broken on this hardware, as the Wyse Cx0-series systems all use a rare and unusual VIA chipset for which that driver does not operate in that one version.

Two, the system currently must be booted with syslinux; grub4dos only functions from USB, with the SD card and its adapter disconnected. There's something low-level about that SD-to-IDE adapter that gives grub4dos indigestion -- it tries to load, but gives a blinking cursor instead of a menu. I unfortunately can't provide any more detail than that, except that I have not yet tried "real" GRUB because I've only ever gotten it to work literally once. IIRC, in most Pups, the GRUB Wizard doesn't actually even function.

Given those two constraints and the system's specs -- which Legacy OS version would you recommend I test (or should I hold out for the new one?)...? Additionally, what should I expect from it in terms of performance?

EDITed shortly after posting, for clarity on the syslinux/grub4dos problem.

john biles

#6 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Work on Legacy OS 2 Series update continues for 2017 release.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

learnhow2code

#7 Post by learnhow2code »

john biles wrote: Work on Legacy OS 2 Series update continues for 2017 release.
im not implying that you have an obligation to document this process, but it could be an interesting read even if it left parts out.

Pelo

Downloads still go on.

#8 Post by Pelo »

Downloads still go on. Our Puppy Forum does not receive feed back from those thousands downloaders, perhaps should need one bug or two, to get some information about who they are.
I am one of them, of course.
What i could ask ? delete applications which are same function to get the ISO size slimmer. :!:
I am entering in Griffith my personal videos, and Legacy OS is the older one in my collection (2012). Uploaded to Youtube but not successfull. :(