SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Davids45

This might help. @Shinobar has 3 "portable" browsers that he has made available. From the sound of things, Full/Frugal, you "may" be better off mimic'ing his solutions.

The benefit: A portable can be "just clicked to run". Thus you'll merely have to, after you install it once, drag its icon to the desktop whenever you boot ANY other PUP OR you open its portable folder and click to run: the choices are to you.

Hope this is helpful.

Belham

#17 Post by Belham »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Edit:- Answer me one question, if you will. Are you getting the 'ghost' entries in the Menu that I talked about? The 'FlashPeak Slimjet' entries, without an icon? By all rights, you shouldn't, since the cause of that was all stripped out of SlimJet's start-up wrapper-script before I packaged it.....but I would just like an answer, one way or the other. Feedback serves multiple purposes, you see..!

Mike. :wink:
Hi Mike,

Sorry to get back to you so late. No, I had and have not seen the "ghost" entries in the Menu bar. Since, like you, I use quite a lot of different distros where Puppy is concerned, I'll give it a go on a few others too and see what happens. Hopefully no ghosts. You know, this darn Slimjet is weird....I'm not use to the browser opening so fast and/or responding to my clicks so fast. I gotta pay attention all the time, lol. Didn't realize how I'd gotten use to supertankers FF and Chrome over the years.........though to be fair to our Overlord Take-My-Life's-Info-Master Google-San, they still make their latest Chrome snap compared to FF. But Slimjet...well... is like, uhmmm, fun to use! Forgotten how speed and ease of use used to be a part of dealing with a browser. It reminds me of 8Geee's FF27 that he keeps alive, tight, and fast. :)

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Belham.

Ah, glad to hear that. The 'ghosts' are obviously just on my machine, then. I'll get around to chasing down the extraneous entries at some stage..!

You see, feedback is important. If you don't get these things right, it gives the impression that you couldn't care less about putting out a sloppy, half-finished product.....and this helps me to improve my technique.

Thanks for getting back to me. Cheers!

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version Available ***

Afternoon, all.

The current version, 10.0.7.0, is now available as 64-bit .pet and SFS packages. Links as above in the second post:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 524#907524

Enjoy.

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

The current version, 11.0.1.0, is now available as 64-bit .pet and SFS packages. Links, again, as above in the 2nd post:-

Have fun.

poorguy

#21 Post by poorguy »

Hey All,

Just downloaded the latest Slimjet browser from the links in this thread.

So now I'll have to give it a try and see how good it works.

Thanks everyone who made this possible.

The PoorGuy

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

The current version, 11.0.3.0, is now available as 64-bit .pet and SFS packages. Links, again, as above in the 2nd post:-

Enjoy. Any probs, let me know, as always.

Mike Walsh

#23 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

I've decided to make a generic package for 32-bit SlimJet, since I run several 32-bit Pups myself, in addition to Tahr64 and Slacko64.

Unlike Oscar's packages, these follow my standard pattern, installing to /opt, rather than /usr/lib. I'm not attempting to steal Oscar's thunder here; if it wasn't for him, I would never have discovered this brilliant browser. I'm following the Puppy maxim of choice; these are constructed slightly differently to Oscar's, and are a 'generic' package, as opposed to Puppy-specific variants.

They can be found here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4bzwuu ... it_generic

Just select the package you want. I usually prefer the SFS, but just sometimes I need to employ the .pet package, because I have too many SFS packages at /mnt/home that I don't wish to unload.....

I'll be keeping these updated, so.....do enjoy.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 16:12, edited 3 times in total.

s243a

#24 Post by s243a »

It's not working for me in tahrpup 6.0.2 but I'll see if I can get it working.

Code: Select all

cd /opt/slimjet
su spot
root$ bash -x ./flashpeak-slimjet --incognito
+ grep '^flags' /proc/cpuinfo
+ grep -qs sse2
+ '[' 0 '!=' 0 ']'
+ exec
+ exec
+ exec
++ exec cat
++ exec cat
+ exec -a ./flashpeak-slimjet /opt/slimjet/slimjet --user-data-dir=/root/.config/slimjet --disable-setuid-sandbox --disable-namespace-sandbox --disable-infobars --incognito
[3498:3498:0806/213827:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(219)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/linux_suid_sandbox_development.md for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
Failed to create secure directory (/root/.config/pulse): Permission denied
[3498:3498:0806/213827:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(410)] readlink failed: Permission denied
[3498:3498:0806/213827:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(246)] readlink(/root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock) failed: Permission denied
[3498:3498:0806/213827:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(246)] readlink(/root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock) failed: Permission denied
[3498:3498:0806/213827:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(270)] Failed to create /root/.config/slimjet/SingletonLock: Permission denied
[3498:3498:0806/213827:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(410)] readlink failed: Permission denied
[3498:3498:0806/213827:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1460)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
[3498:3536:0806/213827:ERROR:cache_util.cc(134)] Unable to move cache folder /root/.config/slimjet/ShaderCache/GPUCache to /root/.config/slimjet/ShaderCache/old_GPUCache_000
[3498:3536:0806/213827:ERROR:cache_creator.cc(129)] Unable to create cache
[3498:3536:0806/213827:ERROR:shader_disk_cache.cc(589)] Shader Cache Creation failed: -2
root$ [0806/213827:ERROR:nacl_helper_linux.cc(307)] NaCl helper process running without a sandbox!
Most likely you need to configure your SUID sandbox correctly
^C
root$ bash -x ./flashpeak-slimjet --incognito &>bla.txt
root$ 
Note that I ran it as spot because it complained when I tried to run it as root.

I'll see what I can do to get it working.

**edit: I got it to work!!!!

I changed line 33 in /opt/slimjet/flashpeak-slimjet
from

exec -a "$0" /opt/slimjet/slimjet --user-data-dir=/root/.config/slimjet --disable-setuid-sandbox --disable-namespace-sandbox --disable-infobars "$@"
to

exec -a "$0" /opt/slimjet/slimjet --user-data-dir=/root/spot/.config/slimjet --disable-setuid-sandbox --disable-namespace-sandbox --disable-infobars "$@"
The problem was spot didn't have permission for /root/.config/

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

@s243a:-

Fair enough! Most folk don't tend to bother with spot, it's true.....but if you feel it affords you that extra layer of protection, go for it.

You do, of course, need to make sure that everything matches..... :)

Glad you got it working. Nice one.

s243a

#26 Post by s243a »

Mike Walsh wrote:@s243a:-

Fair enough! Most folk don't tend to bother with spot, it's true.....but if you feel it affords you that extra layer of protection, go for it.

You do, of course, need to make sure that everything matches..... :)

Glad you got it working. Nice one.

Thankyou :)

In my opinion It's pretty simple to use spot if you have a suitable startup script. For instance I just created the following two scripts:

For non incognito

cd /usr/bin/
nohup su -c "flashpeak-slimjet" spot& 
and for incognito

cd /usr/bin/
nohup su -c "flashpeak-slimjet --incognito" spot& 
and dragged them to my desktop.

This works although it would probably be nicer if I edited:
/usr/share/applications/slimjet.desktop

and fixed the menu to give both an incognito and non incognito option. I'll think about making these modifications and repackages the sfs.

In my opinion since the internet is the most likely place where someone is to get a virus from it makes sense to run browsers as spot.

Besides the browser wasn't working for me as root anyway.

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

@s243a:-

Hi again.

If you want to make a /spot version, with the mods you've mentioned, go for it. No probs with that. You will find, with all the Chromium-based browsers, that they do have a tendency to 'whinge' when started from the terminal in Puppy, although they'll invariably run......99 times out of 100, anyway.

I got my inspiration from Oscar, who's been messing around with browsers far longer than I have. No reason why you can't do the same thing and re-package it as a 'Spot' version. If you'd like, get it it working and packaged, let me have a copy of it, and I'll host it on my MediaFire a/c, alongside my other SlimJet packages, with credit for it attributed to yourself. We may as well make it available, for those who want to use it!

Fair enough? How would you feel about keeping it updated, as I package the newer versions? And perhaps producing a .pet version? I can of course do them if you want, but you might like to make this your personal contribution. It's not hard to do when you know what you're doing.

I use trio's 'Pet-Maker' utility.....a very useful little app, though I do find it's easier to place the contents into the target directory manually, then use the utility to do the actual packaging. I've just got my system set up for the way I prefer to make my packages; it 'works' for me!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40457

It uses 'dir2pet' and 'mksquashfs' under the hood, although I find it's actually quicker to use the 'mksquashfs' script directly.....but it's an incredibly useful tool nonetheless. The GUI for editing the '.pet specs' is especially handy.

Let me know what you'd like to do, and if applicable, we'll make the necessary arrangements.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#28 Post by cthisbear »

Working today in Precise Puppy version 5.6.1, released May 2013..

Showed in the menu etc..and quick to run the first time.

Excellent Mr MW....Chris.

Mike Walsh

#29 Post by Mike Walsh »

@cthisbear:-

Thanks! Glad you like it, Chris. Positive feedback is all useful stuff.....and, like I said, for me, it's all but replaced Chrome on the 32-bit Pups, since I can no longer keep it up-to-date.

For the 64-bit Pups, Chrome is still very much in use.....

BTW, if you find you like a certain version of SlimJet, and want to hang onto it (FlashPeak seem to do 3 or 4 releases based on any given release of Chromium.....mainly just adding 'bling' as Oscar very aptly put it..!), you can always keep Pepper up to date with my PepperFlash .pets, from here. There's a link to the re-released, up-to-date 32-bit Pepper.

Mike Walsh

#30 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 11.0.5.0 now available***

Afternoon, all.

The new release, 11.0.5.0, is now available for download. Both 64-bit and 32-bit packages can be found at their usual locations.

64-bit here.

32-bit here.

Enjoy. Any probs, let me know, please.

rokytnji

#31 Post by rokytnji »

Post deleted. I figure better handled through a PM.

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 11.0.6.0 now available***

Morning, everybody.

The new release, 11.0.6.0, is now available for download. Both 64-bit and 32-bit packages can be found at their usual locations. This includes the new version of Pepper, 23.0.0.162.

This release is supposed to have fixed a recurring problem where embedded videos within Twitter are refusing to play. So says the changelog. Won't be testing this personally, since I loathe the whole concept of social networking sites.....

64-bit here.

32-bit here.

Enjoy. Any problems, you know where to find me...

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

It seems that 11.0.6.0 is being recalled, due to the Twitter 'fix' causing other stuff to stop working!

http://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

Anybody who's experiencing problems with Facebook videos may wish to revert to 11.0.5.0 in the short-term. Apparently the Twitter 'fix' wasn't working in any case. I would hazard a guess that it won't be long before version 12 is out, anyway. Oscar also confirms this:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 253#926253

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 11.0.7.0 now available. Also, the Beta for version 12! ***

Afternoon, all.

Thanks are due to Oscar for alerting me to these two new releases. I've not been watching the Flashpeak site as regularly as I should, since what with having involvements on half-a-dozen different forums these days, I just don't have as much time to devote to things as I'd like. So, this will be marking a change of direction for me. I shall no longer be releasing .pet packages for these, mainly because when you're getting up into this kind of size territory, it fills the save file/folder pretty quickly...

I also won't be releasing my 32-bit version any longer. TBH, Oscar has things nicely covered on that front (he doesn't, so I understand, have any 64-bit hardware), and he does an excellent job with them, too. I still use these myself, anyway, so duplication seems a wee bit pointless..!

I shall, instead, be concentrating on the 64-bit SFS packages, as I have been for a while with Chrome. This is, after all, what I originally had in mind when I first started this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new release, 11.0.7.0, is now available for download. This includes the current version of Pepper, 23.0.0.162. It seems the embedded videos within Twitter are still refusing to play..!

The beta for the new version, 12.0.0.0, is also available (including Pepper 23.0.0.162). I've been testing this for the last few hours, and it appears to be fairly stable. Interestingly, both Tahr64 and Slacko64 packages are now running with almost full sandboxing for the very first time.....

These 64-bit packages are available from here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy. Any problems, you know where to find me...

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.1.0 now available***

Morning, everybody.

The new release, 12.0.1.0, is now at 'stable', and is available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the new version of Pepper, 23.0.0.162.

Have fun. Any problems, you know where to find me...