Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 16:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages
Page 13 of 13 [188 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 17:46    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh (in part) wrote:
.. Google have been slowly but steadily pushing for everyone to go 64-bit for a while.....and I'm pretty sure it started when they became their own certificate authority last year. They've carefully allowed the certification for 32-bit to lapse
Anything Google-related (including YouTube, and tons of websites that use their version of web blogs), are now completely inacessible.

Hi, I'm just an ordinary user. In recent months, using 32-bit tahr and Iron browser.
What must I do?

Thank you,
Sheldon Isaac

Acer Aspire One: Windows XP, Puppy Linux 5.2
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 19:34    Post subject:  

@ sheldonisaac,

firefox, seamonkey and palemoon (32-bit, while they last Evil or Very Mad ) are not "google-related". I just ran a youtube video under a 32-bit seamonkey. So enjoy those browsers while you can. But, I guess it's best to prepare to go "64-bit OS" which I see you can do, i.e., running Tahrpup64 when you've had to.

mikesLr
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 15:26    Post subject:  

*** NEW Version 15.1.5.0 now available***

Morning, boys & girls.

The current stable release, 15.1.5.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the newest version of Pepper; 27.0.0.170.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New stuff in this release:-

https://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

NetFlix still working fine....... enjoy! Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The previously-mentioned 'silent-launch' feature has been added to /root/Startup; if you look in /root/Startup, you'll find a new script, entitled 'silent_launch_slimjet'. What this effectively does is to launch SlimJet at boot, without 'opening' it; rather along the same lines as how modern Windoze works with hibernation and Fast Startup; it essentially holds it in 'standby-mode' until you launch from either desktop launcher or Menu entry. Upon doing so, it starts almost instantly. Smile

I've also taken a leaf out of Oscar's book, and begun running '/slimjet' and '/slimjet-sandbox' through Phil's 'bbe' script. A few people have mentioned having problems recently (and Marv found it worked for him the other day), so.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any probs, I'm not usually far away. Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 12:46    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
*** NEW Version 15.1.5.0 now available***

This works for me in Slacko 64-6.3.2
As long as SlimJet is based on Chrome 59, it seems to be OK!

Thanks Mike!

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 13:20    Post subject:  

Hi, orrin.

I think we'll be okay for a while, so long as the next series is based on Chromium 60. 61 is where all the NSS-related stuff (and other 'problems') have surfaced.

However, 14.0.0.0 was based on Chromium 57. 15.0.0.0 was based on Chromium 59. Flashpeak jumped a release. I've got a nasty feeling they may decide to jump to 61 with the release of 16.0.0.0, but, there again, they may decide not to..... They seem to prefer working with releases that have been around long enough to get at least most of the bugs ironed out, before they start to modify them. And they always release SlimJet with what I consider to be out-of-date versions of PepperFlash....which is why I replace it with a newer version prior to packaging. Who knows?

Time will tell. Meanwhile, I'll continue with them as long as I can; SlimJet, I'm happy to say, is one of the easiest of all the Chromium 'clones' to re-package (and, in my humble opinion, one of the best to use, too!)

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct 2017, 10:32    Post subject:  

Well, I had a weird feeling that this is what would happen.....and I've been proved right.

Flashpeak have jumped over Chromium 60, and gone straight to 61. So, expect problems.....'cos this is where all the NSS-related 'nasties' rear their ugly little heads.

I'll try the 16.0.0.0 'beta' out, but I'm not expecting too much. And neither should you, because I may be knocking development on the head for all the 64-bit Chromium-related browsers I package for Puppy. They're just getting too problematic, and hard to get running in Puppy.

Watch this space.

Mike. Sad

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct 2017, 16:20    Post subject:  

*** NEW Version 15.1.6.0 now available***
***Also 'Beta' 16.0.0.0 available for evaluation***

Evening, all.

This is going to be a 'double-bill' for y'all tonight!

Here is the final release in the 15.0.0.0-series, 15.1.6.0, the last SlimJet based on Chromium 59. PepperFlash 27.0.0.183 is included, as are the WideVine decryption modules as usual. Find it in the usual location.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here, too, is the 'Beta' release of the forthcoming 16.0.0.0-series, for which (as stated above), Flashpeak have jumped over Chromium 60 straight to 61, and dived head-first into the horrendous current-day mess of the up-to-date Chromium Project.

Again, Pepper 27.0.0.183 is included, as is WideVine. As it stands, near full sandboxing is implemented, browsing is A-OK, streaming video & audio are 100%. Uploading/downloading does, however, crash the browser instantly.

I make no bones about this; I'm going to swallow my pride and ask peebee how he's 'fixed this' (I know he has.) I can see the required files in his current Chromium 62, and there's a relevant line in the wrapper script.....but I'm not sure exactly where it should go in Slimmie's wrapper script, or how it should be implemented. I'm no 'coder', and never will be..! Rolling Eyes Embarassed

You can find this in the 'Beta-16.0.0.0' sub-directories.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I can only apologise for the horrendous size these Chromium-based browsers are ballooning into. This is in large part due to the need for keeping updated libs'n'stuff 'self-contained' within the browser itself, so as not to interfere with pre-existing system dependencies for installed software that is working OK.

I have a nasty feeling this is only the start of a period of upheaval until Google get their 'new vision' of how they think the internet should be, out of their system.....

Time will, as always, tell. This stuff is of course a Puppy-specific problem ('running-as-root' & no regular system updates notwithstanding), which simply has to be 'tackled' as & when it becomes necessary.

Have fun.....and feedback as usual, please, boys & girls. Thanks.

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct 2017, 21:45    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Version 15.1.6.0 seems to run OK in Slacko 64-6.3.2.

Everything I have tried based on Chrome greater than 59 has resulted
in the same error, i.e.,

undefined symbol: gtk_widget_get_scale_factor

Maybe someone can look into it and maybe resolve the issue!
I have the version of GTK 3 that is in the respository. (gtk+3-3.8.2)

Page 13 of 13 [188 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: