SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
rokytnji

#31 Post by rokytnji »

Post deleted. I figure better handled through a PM.

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 11.0.6.0 now available***

Morning, everybody.

The new release, 11.0.6.0, is now available for download. Both 64-bit and 32-bit packages can be found at their usual locations. This includes the new version of Pepper, 23.0.0.162.

This release is supposed to have fixed a recurring problem where embedded videos within Twitter are refusing to play. So says the changelog. Won't be testing this personally, since I loathe the whole concept of social networking sites.....

64-bit here.

32-bit here.

Enjoy. Any problems, you know where to find me...

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

It seems that 11.0.6.0 is being recalled, due to the Twitter 'fix' causing other stuff to stop working!

http://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

Anybody who's experiencing problems with Facebook videos may wish to revert to 11.0.5.0 in the short-term. Apparently the Twitter 'fix' wasn't working in any case. I would hazard a guess that it won't be long before version 12 is out, anyway. Oscar also confirms this:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 253#926253

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 11.0.7.0 now available. Also, the Beta for version 12! ***

Afternoon, all.

Thanks are due to Oscar for alerting me to these two new releases. I've not been watching the Flashpeak site as regularly as I should, since what with having involvements on half-a-dozen different forums these days, I just don't have as much time to devote to things as I'd like. So, this will be marking a change of direction for me. I shall no longer be releasing .pet packages for these, mainly because when you're getting up into this kind of size territory, it fills the save file/folder pretty quickly...

I also won't be releasing my 32-bit version any longer. TBH, Oscar has things nicely covered on that front (he doesn't, so I understand, have any 64-bit hardware), and he does an excellent job with them, too. I still use these myself, anyway, so duplication seems a wee bit pointless..!

I shall, instead, be concentrating on the 64-bit SFS packages, as I have been for a while with Chrome. This is, after all, what I originally had in mind when I first started this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new release, 11.0.7.0, is now available for download. This includes the current version of Pepper, 23.0.0.162. It seems the embedded videos within Twitter are still refusing to play..!

The beta for the new version, 12.0.0.0, is also available (including Pepper 23.0.0.162). I've been testing this for the last few hours, and it appears to be fairly stable. Interestingly, both Tahr64 and Slacko64 packages are now running with almost full sandboxing for the very first time.....

These 64-bit packages are available from here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.1.0 now available***

Morning, everybody.

The new release, 12.0.1.0, is now at 'stable', and is available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the new version of Pepper, 23.0.0.162.

Have fun. Any problems, you know where to find me...

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

I may be resurrecting my 'generic' 32-bit SFS package, after all. From what Oscar's been saying in the other SlimJet thread, he's considering putting an end to his SlimJet experimental packages.

I know a 'generic' package works fine for all my 32-bit Pups, anyway. I've used it in the past, until recently, when I started sym-linking a single, 'common' version of it into each of my 32-bitzers. And that works fine, too.

I'll keep y'all posted on this one.

Mike Walsh

new 64-bit releases....and 32-bit re-released!

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.3.0 now available***

Afternoon, all.

The new release, 12.0.3.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 23.0.0.185.

I'm also re-releasing my 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet. It, too, is available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3so7h6 ... S_packages

Please do be aware that from version 12, SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch; it just won't have it any other way with Pup's 'root' model.

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.6.0 now available***

Afternoon, all.

The new release, 12.0.6.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 23.0.0.185.

The 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet is also available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

This runs in most of the 'modern' Pups.....including the majority of the 5-series. For now, that is...

Don't forget, from version 12, SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch; Pup's 'root' model doesn't allow for any other mode of operation, unfortunately. However, for some weird reason, the 64-bit versions are now running with almost full sandboxing; yay! God knows what the difference is.....I haven't a clue. I'm not a 'code guru'; I'm just a 'tinkerer' who likes putting packages together..!

Have fun. Any problems, give me a shout.

sheldonisaac

Sandboxing

#39 Post by sheldonisaac »

Mike Walsh (in part) wrote: Don't forget, from version 12, SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch; Pup's 'root' model doesn't allow for any other mode of operation, unfortunately. However, for some weird reason, the 64-bit versions are now running with almost full sandboxing; yay!
Please excuse my asking here (rather than ??).

Can someone explain this "sandboxing"?
I never heard of it in relation to Opera 12.16 etc

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, sheldon.

Now remember; I'm far from being an 'expert' in this stuff.....but as I understand it, it's a method of running individual tabs within a browser which was pioneered by the devs at The Chromium Project (coincidentally sponsored by Google, and oh! what a surprise; it's where Google draw the source code from for Chrome....)

My understanding is that whatever processes are running within any given tab are kept inside that tab.....so any nefarious nasties that may get downloaded can't spread mayhem to the rest of the browser (and from there, to the rest of your system).

It's just an extra safety feature which is being adopted, and implemented by, most of the major browsers. Opera 12 I don't know about, never having used it.....but the new Opera (which is based on the Chromium model, and the 'Blink' engine), definitely does.

Hopefully that makes things a shade less 'foggy'..!

OldAcer

#41 Post by OldAcer »

The "32-bit generic SFS of Slimjet" source mentioned by Mike Walsh 3 posts ago can not be downloaded using Dillo as it is https. The slimjet.com/en/postdl .php... (tar.xz) page is available, but does not download; using the "if download does not start automatically" link goes to a blank page where nothing seems to happen.

Any alternatives?

Mike Walsh

#42 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, OldAcer.

Mm. I've read a few of your posts recently; you're having 'problems' with Dillo, aren't you? Unfortunately, it's a bit restricted, from what I understand.

Can you download anything with it? Like, for instance, FireFox? Perhaps install and use FF to download SlimJet?

Seems perhaps a 'roundabout' way of doing things, but you may have to. What Pup are you running? SlimJet may not run on older Pups, because of the age of the glibc - the main 'C' library, that Puppy's built around.

I believe you can use 'wget', but I don't know how that works, I'm afraid..... It is, so I understand, installed in all Pups as standard; it's how the package manager downloads stuff.

OldAcer

#43 Post by OldAcer »

The fundamental problem is Firefox 45.2 ESR, which keeps crashing when i try to use certain sites; its Crash Reporter has never worked.

When I first got my Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 CD, it did offer to download Firefox but didn't succeed- I don't remember the reason. Dillo, in the package, did work right away, and would download things. FTP also worked.

In any case I got a FF version on flash drive and used that to upgrade to the present one.

The recent problem was that FF was crashing upon startup due to its Restore function. So I was trying to find another SSL browser that Dillo would download.

Just now, I found and renamed the FF restore files, so it is working until I try to do what I have needed to do for the last week. Using it I can go to the Mediafire.com URL you posted above. Selecting only the "32 bit generic" then "download" offers a popup with only "upgrade" or "cancel", which then goes back again to "download". How does one actually download?

Mike Walsh

#44 Post by Mike Walsh »

Right. Well, for one thing, what you're wanting to do isn't going to work. I run rerwin's Lucid 5.2.8.7 Sulu-002.....and SlimJet will not install, 'cos the glibc is way too old.

I've tried, believe me.....I installed Lucid originally to try and help out somebody else (TwoPuppies, I believe) who wanted to run SlimJet in Lucid (only to find out I was on a hiding to nothing.) :shock:

Same goes for Chrome, too. Modern versions just won't have it. Depending on what you want to do with it (it's too old to be supported by the App store, and extensions won't install), I do have a copy of Chrome 26 I can let you try out. I'm a long-term Chrome user, ever since it was in beta, back in 2008.....and Chrome 26 kinda reminded me of just why I fell in love with it originally; it's extremely nippy, and light on its feet. :D

If you're interested, I'll put it in a different location, where you should be able to access it without problems. Let me know what you want to do, please. :)

OldAcer

#45 Post by OldAcer »

I was going to try Chrome or Chromium, if you have one you think might run, I'll try it, being desperate for any SSL alternatives. I don't have enough buffer space to create another boot CD. My impression from Android tablets was that Chrome probably made it difficult to have privacy against Google- many steps to clear cookies, etc, but I'll give it a try.

Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Old Acer.

Okay. Well, Chrome 26 will run with Lucid, because it was built to work with Lucid's glibc....which is 2.11, I believe. The following release, 27, was compiled with 2.13....which is why it won't run on Lucid.

Give me a few minutes, and I'll send you a link by PM.

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.9.0 now available***

Morning, all.

The current release, 12.0.9.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 23.0.0.207.

The 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet is also available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

Don't forget, from version 12, SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch; Pup's 'root' model doesn't allow for any other mode of operation with these recent versions, I'm afraid.

Enjoy. Any problems, I'm never very far away...

Mike Walsh

#48 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.12.0 now available***

Morning, all.

The current release, 12.0.12.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the brand-new version of Pepper, 24.0.0.186 (released today).

As usual, version 12 of SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch; Pup's 'root' model doesn't allow for any other mode of operation with these recent versions.

Have fun. Any probs, you know where to find me...

kerl

#49 Post by kerl »

Hi! First off thanks for your work :P
A newbie question: how should I replace my previous installation? I guess I can unload the old .sfs, delete it, download the new one and load it from the sfs manager.. but what about cache folders and everything else? erasing them by hand? is there some sort of (un)installer?

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, kerl.

Easiest way is to just unload the old version with the 'on-the-fly' loader/unloader (in the right-click menu), then having moved the new version to the same location (/mnt/home), load it the same way. You can then delete the old one, or do whatever else you want with it.

/root/.cache/ & /root/.config should be left as they are. Your settings will carry over to the new version.

Hope that helps!