Firefox no longer updating in Lucid 5.2.8.6

Booting, installing, newbie
Al1000

Firefox no longer updating in Lucid 5.2.8.6

#1 Post by Al1000 »

Hi,

It's been a while since I used Lucid 5.2.8.6 because the old laptop I used to use it on broke. I have just bought another identical old laptop so am using Lucid once again. :)

I used to be able to install an old version of Firefox then update it to the latest version by clicking on Help --> About Firefox, and it would check for a new version.

I have just installed Firefox version 13.0 and when I try to update it, it appears to check for updates, but then says "Firefox is up to date."

Does anyone know why Firefox won't update like it used to? Is there any way to get the latest version installed on Lucid 5.2.8.6?

I know there is 5.2.8.7 and I might resort to trying it again, but last time I tried it on my old laptop it used noticeably more system resources than 5.2.8.6 uses, so ideally I'd like to stick with 5.2.8.6.

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

It's probably because of gtk3 requirement in mozilla build of FF46: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106670

Al1000

#3 Post by Al1000 »

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Have now downloaded and am running version 45.0. That should be good for a while.

Thanks for the info.

Al1000

#4 Post by Al1000 »

A strange thing just happened which I thought I'd mention. I had been using Firefox version 45.0, the only problem being that for some reason it tried to open at some site ending in ...qaba.com, which I couldn't find any info about on the internet with my ISP reporting that it couldn't find the site... but otherwise it was working fine. It was set to open at the default Puppy home page.

I just decided to investigate further, and in the first instance fired up Firefox 13 to see if it opened at the same site. It didn't. It opened at Puppy's home page like it's supposed to do.

Next thing I did in Firefox 13 was check the version by clicking Help --> About Firefox, and when I did so it started checking for updates, and downloaded version 45.0.2, with a message saying: this is not the latest version but your system does not support the latest version.

Please update your system and try again! :lol:

Now when I click on Help --> About Firefox, it briefly checks for updates then says: you cannot perform further updates on your system, as opposed to: Firefox is up to date, like it did before, when it wasn't up to date.

So somehow, it seems to have fixed itself. I just deleted the entire Firefox version 45 directory, and am now using version 45.0.2, which is opening at the default Puppy home page like it's supposed to. :D