JL64-704 Slackware-14.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dry Falls

fido

#226 Post by Dry Falls »

pet to remove non-functional 'fido' (spot is non-root login account)
also some minor fixes.
re-uploaded Devx & 2_plasma5.
Attachments
upd-JL64-1.pet
(55.8 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

eztuxer

#227 Post by eztuxer »

Hi D F,

Tested the new iso, it boots ok BUT when I add pkeys=be it stalls and give me some can't conclude with TTY bs.

With us keyboard all is fine BUT internet : nada. :-(

Great week-end all.

E Z
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

stemsee

#228 Post by stemsee »

update to Wifi-Connection-Suite
Attachments
Wifi-Connect-2017.sfs.gz
(220 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Last edited by stemsee on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

Dry Falls

#229 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks Stemsee. On the sfs, move /sbin and /share to /usr. May need to

Code: Select all

removepkg Wifi-Connect_JL64-2
first. I inadvertently removed '/opt/local/etc/oui.txt' in the remaster. Is that still necessary in the new iteration of wifi-connect? I'll get it back if it is. There is a oui.txt in /usr/share (link to hwdata) from slackware already. Also, a pet will overwrite the application files. Otherwise, wifi-connect points to wifi-connect-2.

Eztuxr, I couldn't replicate your pkeys issue. Tried 'pkeys=be' after vmlinuz in grub ram and with savefile and got "loadkeys be-latin1" in both cases. Booted fine with new keyboard. It might be that you used a savefile from a previous iteration? Or, as happens occassionally, it was just a startup glitch which will disappear next try.

df

ps., I'll take a look at what I've dove to dhcp. It may involve removing frisbee altogether if this is going to be an ongoing issue. Might have to break down and buy a wifi dongle to test it. As it is, all I've done with wifi is as a deaf and blind man posing as a train-spotter.

stemsee

#230 Post by stemsee »

O yeah, oui.txt is for the random mac generator which uses 29,000 real world company mac address prefixes. Thanks for pointing that out, I will repackage.

wifi-connect-2 is obsolete, as Wifi-Connect now allows interface selection first. All the scripts do. Wifi-Scanner-2 behaves a little differently to Wifi-Scanner so I left them both in.

Quite a few bugs and improvements, particularly with Wifi-Connect now showing key on or off and AP mac addresses.

Wifi-HotSpot uses create_ap (included /usr/sbin/create_ap/*) which gets compiled on first use so devx must be loaded or dev libraries installed/loaded.

Dry Falls

#231 Post by Dry Falls »

As the name implies, this is an experimental delta file to be applied to JL64-703.sfs (NOT the iso)...
experimental-base-delta.tar.gz (14M)
CHANGES:
  • installed upd-JL64-1.pet
    removed all frisbee
    added (replaced) rc.network (etc) from BarryK's Easy
    added sns (simple-network-setup) and (replaced) connection-wizard (from same)
    reinstalled dhcpd
    removed wifi-connect...JL64
    added wifi-connect-2017
works fine for me (eth0 only) but a bit verbose

df

Dry Falls

#232 Post by Dry Falls »

Uploaded JL64-703v2.iso 412M See o/p for link
md5sum: b356890125faaab47a41222b019f6ead

Dry Falls

#233 Post by Dry Falls »

A little fix to pupver ('ver') which was loading xfce4-panel (line 32 should say xfce4-panel.bin):
Attachments
pupverfix-1.pet
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Dry Falls

more fixes

#234 Post by Dry Falls »

some new pets uploaded:

EDIT: whoops!

rm -f /etc/network-wizard/network/interfaces/F8:0F:41:B8:11:1E.conf
That's my address!
Attachments
ndiswrapper-1.61-x86_64.pet
ndiswrapper module, update GUI script, defaultconnect
(96.1 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
frisbee-2013Slaq.pet
Completes network connection management (LHP, Slaq, Easy morph)
(52.74 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
kcompile-21.pet
SUUK 2017
(132.81 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
sysdef-1.pet
accommodate netboot or rootfs /mnt/home
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
snsfix-1.pet
fix (important) for BK's simple network setup
(4.89 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

Dry Falls

new iteration

#235 Post by Dry Falls »

JL64-704
Probably the last in this series. See opening post

df

Pete22

JL64-704 Slackware-14.2 download failed

#236 Post by Pete22 »

Dry Falls:

I tried downloading the iso three times and it failed each time.
Could you check and see if you could fix it.

Dry Falls

#237 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi Pete22

Not sure what the problem is, but I just downloaded the iso with midori (there goes half my monthly sattelite quota!). No problem. mdsum checks out: 81c3d04098d3b39d66ce5101b9c3dda9 JL64-704.iso

You might also try http://just-lighthouse.000webhostapp.com/. Still goes to gdrive. That's the bummer!

I've fixed the problem with the new rc.network file but it's not quite ready for release. Till the next release (JL64-705), which is an alpha release based on slackware64-current, if the machine doesn;t auto-connect eth0 at first boot, just have to hit the connect button. I tested JL64-704 on a borrowed laptop and wifi worked without a hitch.

By the way, xfce now comes with cairo doc. I want to make Xfce the default desktop in 705. Still a few bugs to work out.

Thanks for your interest.

Dry Falls

new link

#238 Post by Dry Falls »

it occurred to me that I could download the iso because I was logged in. Seems they've changed the way google links your files. Here's the new "sharable" link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9zDf ... sp=sharing

will change the link in the opening post now. Sorry for the confusion.

df

stemsee

#239 Post by stemsee »

You can present the link shorter btw

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9zDf ... Gx5YTBFY28

Pete22

JL64-704 fugal install?

#240 Post by Pete22 »

Thanks to Dry Falls and stemsee for helping me get JL to download.

Now I am trying to do a fugal install. However, Grub4dos does not see Just-Lightouse. Any ideas.

Pete22

PS I figured it out.

Dry Falls

version2

#241 Post by Dry Falls »

Version 2 is up.

Put back in Tazoc & Jemimah's net discovery system for first run. Normally the kernel and dhcpd/wpa will connect automatically. If not, then puppy kicks in. After first save, rc.network changes to accommodate the 2017 nwcw + frisbee. SNS is default connect.

These sfs modules were uploaded/reuploaded:

DOC_JL64-704
Devx-JL64_704
JL64-704v2.iso
JL64-704v2.iso.md5sum.txt
NLS_base-JL64_704
Xfce-4.12.0-1-x86_64-16
2_perpy-base
5_JL64-704
boost-1.59.0-x86_64-1.sfs
compiz-0.8.12.3-x86_64-JL64-4
ffmpeg-3.0.9-x86_64-lt
flash-update-27.pet
gcc-5.3.0-x86_64 (with libtool)
goffice_suite-0.28-JL64-704
gtk-doc-reference_704
kernel_sources-4.13.2-JLx86_64
k4.13.2.txz
man_tools-14.2-4
mozilla-thunderbird-52.3.0
qt-4.8.7
qtlite-4.8.7-JL64-7
samba-4.4.15-x86_64-1_slack14.2
xscreensaver-5.37-x86_64-JL64

As always check o/p and Lighthouse update.

hoping this one works out,

df

Ray MK

#242 Post by Ray MK »

Hi
Have been using the latest JustLH64-704 for a few days. Very nice.

It is a little different to use and I needed to re-think the way I did things on a few occasions.

However, it is a very useful puppy and does all most users would require very well.
It also has a wealth of goodies built in that are normally add-on.

It is also the only puppy I have that runs the latest Firefox 55.0.3

I could not get SNS wifi to work but Frizbee does.
I also failed to get update to work despite downloading the updated databases.

Screen saver is nice but it locked me out after re-starting from suspend.
(Probably me being stupid)

Have not attempted to make a save file yet, that’s just my preference.
(I know Tazoc always recomended that one should always make a save file before doing anything else)

Am using a HP Elitebook 8440p laptop that has 4gb of ram.

All in all - very good so far with no unpleasant surprises.

Many thanks to you all for making such a nice puppy available.

Best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Dry Falls

#243 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks Ray.

If you've seen the movie, Mystic River, there was a character named Just-Ray (to distinguish him from the other Rays) That's what inspired me to call this Just-Lighthouse.

Anyway, it is a bit different. I intended it to be run in ram (pupmode=5) from the start. I just downloaded dillo with sfs-update (though I'm posting from Midori) and, since it's first run, update automatically transformed the sfs into a pet and petget installed it (after asking) but sfs-update saved a copy of the sfs to /mnt/home. In pupsave mode, on the other hand, it writes to the BOOTCONFIG file so the sfs will load it the next boot. The dialog asks you to save session and reboot, but you can say "later" and use sfs-load-on-the-fly (or just right-click the sfs file and follow the menu) to use it immediately.

Backing up a bit, Surf is called up to open the gdrive folder so you have to reselect the file you want from there. That is because I don't have a web-server to house the distro packages. Otherwise, It would be a simple change in the script to cut google and Surf out of the loop and use wget as the software was originally designed.

Anyway, It just worked for me. I admit, it's all a bit cumbersome.

I may have inadvertantly left "lock on suspend" as the default setting but only if you're running xfce4 or kde. That's simple enough to fix with settings manager.

On the other hand, I've experienced on occassion (even with Tazoc's Lighthouse) a freeze-out rather than mere lock-out coming back from the screensaver or suspend which required a hard shutdown, right down to unpluggin the damn thing. Never did trace that on down satisfactorily.

I'll wait to see what happens after the screensaver kicks in and get back to you.

Thanks again,

df

Pete22

Loading programs with pets and sfs

#244 Post by Pete22 »

Some sfs I ask to load at startup, do not. For example the libreoffice sfs shows as loaded
but, they will not run. They do not show up under office on the applications menu, nor do they show up as applications in the application finder.

I also notice that sometimes the default browser does not download items when it says it has. Yes, I did check the download file.
I even checked with pfind. I did this three times to download firefox. I finally got around this by
downloading the file to a new directory on the hard drive with a different puppy. I then chose firefox as my default browser.

I also downloaded all of the sfs files from your Gdrive, but the wine one did not show up when I unzipped them.
I then downloaded it separately with firefox and then loaded it.
However, I still can not find any usable files.

Can you help me make setting up JL64 less frustrating?

Dry Falls

#245 Post by Dry Falls »

Libreoffice works fine for me. Restart lxpanel or window manager (like any fresh installation) and it will show up in the menu (as will wine). The Desktop file is also in "Launcher". If you want libreoffice to be default word processor, open defaults-chooser and paste

libreoffice5.1 --writer
. Spreadsheet would be

libreoffice5.1 --calc
but I usually just use the menu or desktop icon (in Launcher).

There is no default browser till you choose one. Surf is the embedded browser for lighthouse update. It will work with cups. If you chose surf-spot, expect permission issues with downloading -- surf is hard-wired to use the root directory or Desktop. The standard download path for all other browsers is /File/Downloads or spot's download folder.

Probably better to download files as you need them than use google's "Download all" function. Not sure I'd know what to do with a multi-gigabyte zip file!

Don't forget, wine needs the 32Bit libraries.