RouterMaker

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
rcrsn51

RouterMaker

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

RouterMaker

Important: When Puppy computers boot up, they attempt to make an automatic Internet connection on eth0. If this is still happening when you start RouterMaker, the two processes will conflict and the RouterMaker server may lose its IP address on eth0. (You can check this by running IP Info.) So any client machines that boot up won't get a proper connection to the server. This is a particular issue with PeasyWiFi, whose Ethernet routine keeps running for a while.

You can usually fix this just by restarting RouterMaker. For a permanent fix, try the following:
a. Open /usr/local/bin/routermaker in a text editor.
b. UNcomment Line 4.

Code: Select all

#kill $(busybox ps | grep "rc.network" | awk '{print $1}') >/dev/null 2>&1
-----------------------------

RouterMaker is a little app that lets your computer act as a basic router. It becomes the hub of a wired network and assigns IP addresses to other computers connected to this LAN. It can optionally provide a gateway to the Internet.

The program is /usr/local/bin/routermaker. You will run it by opening a terminal and typing: routermaker

Go to /usr/local/bin and open routermaker in a text editor. Note these lines at the top:

LAN="eth0"
WAN=""
SUBNET="192.168.51"
a. The LAN variable defines the Ethernet port on your computer that is wired to the LAN.
b. The WAN variable is optional. Use it if you have a second port (like wlan0) that connects to the Internet.
c. The SUBNET variable defines the set of IP addresses that will be assigned to client computers on the network.

Here are some ways to use RouterMaker:

1. Directly connect two machines together by their Ethernet ports with a CAT5 cable. In the old days, you needed a special crossover cable, but I don't think this matters anymore.

Start RouterMaker on one machine. It will be the "server" and will have IP address 192.168.51.1. Boot up the other machine. Its networking software will automatically get an IP address from the server on the same subnet, like 192.168.51.45. The two machines can ping each other and you can run file transfer software between them, like Gnetcat.

2. The RouterMaker machine has a second port (eth1 or wlan0) that is already connected to the Internet. It will provide shared Internet to clients. To use this feature, you must also install the "iptables" package on the RouterMaker machine. And its kernel must contain the MASQUERADE module.

Assign this port to the WAN variable (see above) and run RouterMaker. When a client machine boots up, its IP address will include a gateway to the Internet via the server.

3. You have a private network of several machines connected to an Ethernet switch box with CAT5 cables. One of these machines will run RouterMaker. As the client machines boot up, they will get unique IP addresses on the subnet.

The RouterMaker machine can run sharable resources like a file server or printer that are accessible to the clients. Clients will locate the server at 192.168.51.1.

----------------------------

Also see WlanMaker.

----------------------------
Attachments
routermaker_2.1_all.deb.gz
Remove the fake .gz extension.
Updated 2019-10-15
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 18 Oct 2019, 22:47, edited 36 times in total.

stemsee

#2 Post by stemsee »

Hi rcrsn51

Your new script is very lean and keen.

Is this pinstall.sh correct?

#!/bin/sh
rm etc/init.d/hostapd
rm -rf etc/hostapd

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

stemsee wrote:Is this pinstall.sh correct?
Yes. The Debian hostapd package contains some stuff that doesn't apply to Puppy. The pinstall script just removes it.

Atle

#4 Post by Atle »

Got to take my hat of AGAIN...

When i install this to - lupusuper4 (kernel from pemasu's upup raring) (based on lupu 5.2.8.7, but with a 3.99 kernel, I get a error message that says:

iptables v1.4.4 cant initialize iptables 'nat' : tables does not exist (do you perhaps need to ismod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded

Does anyone make anything out of that?

iptables 1.4.4 is installed...

But i realize there is a answer to this in the very beginning of the post, so if i like to use this, i better choose one the is supported already since i guess you do put a lot of work into this and not all weird puppies can be supported always...

So since there are others that are supported, ill stick to them...

Atle

moi_classic2007

#5 Post by moi_classic2007 »

Hello, I used to successfully make a wifi repeater by using program "hotspotd", but now I can't, I don't know why. It used to work very well
I tried your program and I got these massages:

Configuration file: /tmp/hostapd.conf
Failed to update rate sets in kernel module
Using interface wlan3 with hwaddr aa:33:bb:cc:dd:aa and ssid 'haizzzz'
Failed to set beacon head/tail
Could not set DTIM period for kernel driver
Failed to set CTS protect in kernel driver
Failed to set Short Slot Time option in kernel driver
Could not set preamble for kernel driver
unknown mgmt cb frame subtype 4
unknown mgmt cb frame subtype 4
unknown mgmt cb frame subtype 4 (and so on)

Could you please give me a suggest? Tks!

moi_classic2007

#6 Post by moi_classic2007 »

I even made my own GUI program for this, it is for Tahrpup 6.0.5, but now it doesn't work anymore on my system, I don't know why, could you give a look at this please, I am not a programmer but I love Puppy
Attachments
wifihotspotd.zip
(201.8 KiB) Downloaded 618 times

moi_classic2007

#7 Post by moi_classic2007 »

I finally found the answer myself!
The problem was: the channel for hostapd that I set was different to the channel that my wlan0 connected to internet.
By this article https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/so ... cess_point
My wifi card does not support for different channels.
So I fixed it and now it works.
This is my program, which plays as AP, wifi repeater for Tahrpup 6.0.5 for anyone who needs it.
Have a good day!
Attachments
wifihotspotd.zip
(177.03 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

Atle

#8 Post by Atle »

I have downloaded Tahrpup 6.05CE, and then done the things according to rcrsn51's instructions.

Then i downloaded the wifihotspotd.

But from there I am sort of stuck.

I wanted to see what your code does, but it does not provide to much information about what this does and is. And how to get it installed.

I did install the ipt-xxxxx.pet, but got no desktop icons nor nothing. No gui, no nothing.

Can we please share the secret of how to install this?

atle

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Atle, if this is what you got running the masquerade command, then you'd need the kernel module:

iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
There is no GUI.

Now rather than merely install this, what's your goal here?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Atle

#10 Post by Atle »

First of all Semme. Congrats with you new avatar.

Well I like to explore the possibilites to make a Puppy that can be booted into the various things we see here, like Wlanmaker, Routermaker and their different setups. I like this development.

So in order to understand totally what this does I like to make it work and test it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jit7clird ... tLinux.iso

I got some work done on this, but i had to abandon it for a while due to other things in life, but you can boot this one and see what is does and I do not aim at making stuff for people in Orlando or Paris, but more like Lusaka and Lagos.

The needs there are very different, but its impossible to understand unless one has lived under such circumstances.

I want to take networking to a new level where you can get things that serves a purpose there, but not in "our western broadband and rich world".

I like to have a Puppy that can boot into four modes and that would be as a Wifi AP with a captive portal and webserver, ERP, POS and what not, and as a router for the ethernet port and as i belive i look at here, as a wifi repeater(Is that not like a range extender)?

But the learning curve is hard for me as I do not understand how to code or are very far from being good at this. All i got is stamina.

atle

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Thanks. The av is hopefully light-hearted enough.

==

As for your goals, I get the gist.

Did you need the kernel module? I'll assume you've got both the hostapd and dnsmasq-base pkgs installed.

You realize his "extender" scenario above relies on either TWO adapters or an additional wifi router.

He also states RM won't work with just any adapter.

So, your hw setup becomes particular if you plan on exploring any of the above routines.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

slavvo67

#12 Post by slavvo67 »

I noticed i386 debs. I tried this on Quirky Xerus64 and it's not working. Did anyone get this working on a 64bit Puppy?

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

You need the masquerade module for your kernel. Get compiling!

Atle

#14 Post by Atle »

@slavvo67

This will run very well on Fatdog64

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

Re-released. This needs testing and feedback.