I promise medieval tortures to anyone snobbing CLI

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

I've been debating about this in my head for a few days:

in view of her insult above, :) Sailor Enceladus should be tickled until she starts using CLI
programs again or confesses to their superiority.

Torture by tickling is not so bad. Any other ideas?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Pete

#17 Post by Pete »

musher0 wrote:.......
Torture by tickling is not so bad. Any other ideas?
Hack into his computer and change his defaultbrowser=elinks :lol:

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Good idea! :twisted:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

God pupsaves musher0 !

#19 Post by Pelo »

Never we will hurt translators of human language to the machines.
Si j'écris français ici, aucun british citizen ne va me comprendre, then Musher0 will translate
Personally, it's hard to translate my thoughts in english, but to translate them in CLI, never i would be able to
Thanks, Musher0, to do it for us ! God pupsaves you :)

learnhow2code

Re: God pupsaves musher0 !

#20 Post by learnhow2code »

Pelo wrote:but to translate them in CLI, never i would be able to
its not that bad.

to open a program in a gui, you click on the picture above the name.

to open in a cli, you just type the name.

but you dont usually have to type the whole name. no matter what browser you use, this is all you have to do in a debian/devuan system:

x
-
w
w
[tab]

x-ww[tab] automatically completes to x-www-browser. but you can make a shortcut, just like a gui.

browser starts with b, you can just make a shortcut called "b" if you like.

b is for browser-- would "br" make it easier to associate with browser?

"we?" how about "web?"

or create shortcuts in english and french. then whatever language youre thinking in, both work on your computer.

you never have to use the full length command, if it is going to stay the same-- except when youre making a shortcut.

by all means, use a gui or icon. but please dont think its impossible for you to learn the cli. i used it when i was 5 years old, and im not an astrophysicist.

you may be thinking, "i use iceweasel. why cant i just say iceweasel?" you can! x-www-browser opens whatever browser is set "default." change your default, x-www-browser still works for the new setting!

you can also just type the name of your browser. but again: you only have to type enough that [tab] can auto-complete it.

trying to think of a command name that starts with y? type "y" and hit tab twice. it will show you all the commands in your path that start with y.

type a couple more letters and hit tab, it will type the rest for you. then just hit enter.

now, the next time you want to ask a friend to do something for you, instead of telling them how or what you want, just show them.

instead of asking them: "can you get me a glass of water?" just walk them to the Out house, point at a glass, point at the sink, then point a finger at yourself (for "give to me") and then realize thats how we cli users feel sometimes, having to use a mouse.

sometimes its less effort to talk! and then you can sum it all up in a little command you get to choose a name for, like getwater (getw-[tab]. because "wget" is already taken.)

language is wonderful. mice point and click, and (are a) drag.

you can even make your own shell menu, look:

Code: Select all

cat > /usr/local/bin/shellmenu
#### public domain - edit/share freely
echo "shell menu"
echo a\) xArchiver
echo b\) web Browser
echo c\) Chat on irc
echo
echo "hit a letter key to open a program from the menu"
read -n 1 c
if [[ "$c" == "a" ]] ; then xarchiver ; fi
if [[ "$c" == "b" ]] ; then x-www-browser ; fi
if [[ "$c" == "c" ]] ; then hexchat ; fi

[CTRL-D] # use CTRL-D on your keyboard to stop pasting text into shellmenu

now run this: chmod +x /usr/local/bin/shellmenu #### after that, you have a menu program! just type "shellmenu" to run it (perhaps give it a shorter name, though!)
you dont have to learn that code to use the cli. but that is all it takes to make your own interactive menu programs in the shell.

someone can even make a menu-program-maker to take a text file like this:

a xarchiver
b x-www-browser
c hexchat

and turn it into a menu program (like shellmenu) for you.

some of us used menu programs like that for years-- even apple had them on machines that didnt run a gui, like the apple ][.

Pete

Re: God pupsaves musher0 !

#21 Post by Pete »

learnhow2code wrote:....
trying to think of a command name that starts with y? type "y" and hit tab twice. it will show you all the commands in your path that start with y.
Nice one @learnhow2code

If you want to get a list of all the commands:

compgen -c
or if you want to search for a certain keyword, lets use "print" as an example:

compgen -c | grep "print"
Of course one could wrap this in a GTKdialog script and present it in a GUI, but it would still be using the CLI to get the data.
Plus one would be restricted by any limitations introduced in the GTKdialog script not having a specific option/functionality.

If one uses the CLI directly, none of the restrictions apply.

musher0

#22 Post by musher0 »

Hello gang.

Pete said:
> "If one uses the CLI directly, none of the restrictions apply."

I've been wondering forever what it is with most people:
  • are they afraid that a cli window will devour them ? ;)
    is it laziness?
    is is snobbery?
    is it plain prejudice, like "agism"? As in: if you use CLI, you're "old"?
The more I work with urxvt, the more I find that it outperforms anything that YAD, etc.,
have to offer as to versatility, colors, shading, choice of fonts, size of window, etc.

My 2¢. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pete

#23 Post by Pete »

musher0 wrote:....
    is it laziness?
    is is snobbery?
    is it plain prejudice, like "agism"?
IMHO it's a combination of laziness (of typing and I'm guilty too hence my use of LXTerminal instead) and
fear/lack of knowledge about the CLI.

BTW this is prevalent in both Linux and Windoze.

Sailor Enceladus

#24 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

musher0 wrote:Hello gang.

Pete said:
> "If one uses the CLI directly, none of the restrictions apply."

is it laziness?
    is is snobbery?
    is it plain prejudice, like "agism"? As in: if you use CLI, you're "old"?
The more I work with urxvt, the more I find that it outperforms anything that YAD, etc.,
have to offer as to versatility, colors, shading, choice of fonts, size of window, etc.

My 2¢. BFN.
I have a trackpoint on my laptop. Moving one finger to an icon and clicking on it is easy enough. Typing everything out, not so much. I use the CLI for things that aren't automated, like typing "diff -ru folder1 folder2" or "./configure --prefix=/usr" or whatever, then I go back to relaxing my hand on the trackpoint and mouse button to read silly threads like this one. :lol:

learnhow2code

#25 Post by learnhow2code »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:I use the CLI for things that aren't automated, like typing "diff -ru folder1 folder2" or "./configure --prefix=/usr" or whatever, then I go back to relaxing my hand on the trackpoint and mouse buttons to read silly threads like this one. :lol:
youd think it would be easier to just tap the part of the screen (touchscreens are extremely inefficient for a number of things that provide better accuracy and feedback, but a monkey can use one easily) that has the thing you want on it.

the trick is getting the thing you want onto the screen to tap it.

when the web started out, it was full of links-- menus spread all over the screen, and there is still a lot of that.

but to get to them, you start by typing in an address or a search query, into google (or ddg, or some people actually use bing... which is surprising.) bookmarks are fine, the more you have the closer you will be to typing again. sure, you can do that in a gui. but the google search box is more like a command line than a gui, if you ask me.

this really isnt either/or. when i open gimp to do graphics, i know exactly why im using a gui.

i prefer a graphical browser over elinks much of the time. however, if i had to do everything in a browser, i would really hate it.

if i had to do everything in a term window, that would probably suck too. but take the term away and i will just use another os instead.

no one wants to go back to paging through menu after menu after menu of links like the early days of yahoo! even on a touch screen (5 pages of menus to do almost anything, it seems) that would be an obnoxious experience.

partly its subjective. but there are distinct advantages for each method of communication. thats what it is-- communicating with your computer, as well as others.

imagine if some person said "you know, f*** books, from now on im just going to communicate with pictures." hey, that works for some artists. you can get rich.

now imagine you work in a library, and someone comes in and says "books are stupid, i just want to watch youtube." (not just today, but as a lifestyle.)

some of the overzealous diatribes against the cli are similarly painful. but as i tried to hint, there arent a lot of true purists out there--

cli fans use guis, and gui fans use a command line all the time, but they dont normally realize theyre using one-- or that they actually prefer it for some tasks :)

Pelo

MPV unserviceable, try MOC !

#26 Post by Pelo »

MPV not working in my Puduan. PPM devuan says already installed.. Grrrr :evil:
Robert123 told us Moc is better. So try MOC
Ok i unterstand the micro-society, back to computers IBM with blue screen
I prefer MPV, sure
Musher0 promises Medieval Tortures, Moc is the first one.
Listen 'rythms' techno music with Moc is worth than playing Mozart with an electric guitar :!:
Attachments
moc.png
(29.4 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

rufwoof

#27 Post by rufwoof »

Pelo ... not for you then ...

htop (system monitor)
mc (file manager (and editor))
mocp (audio)
Rtorrent
lynx (web browser)
sc (spreadsheet)

all ncurses (cli, no gui needed).

:)
Last edited by rufwoof on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#28 Post by musher0 »

Hi rufwoof.

So?

Medieval tortures for pelo ?

Yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeesssssssss! :lol: :twisted:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

hamoudoudou

fried ? roasted ? medieval is awful..

#29 Post by hamoudoudou »

fried ? roasted ? medieval is awful.. a french kiss, perhaps..
Attachments
pub.jpg
un programmeur jeune.
(53.28 KiB) Downloaded 36 times