Rationalisation of Woof-CE

News, happenings
jlst

Rationalisation of Woof-CE

#1 Post by jlst »

01micko wrote about this in http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00025

The action is happening at
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ationalise

The changes that are happening are actually not that planned, but you know, the hivemind. In the end it should just work.

Basically this is the place to comment about the changes, give ideas about what to change, what to delete, what to add, or try to oppose to the changes.

Of course those who have downloaded or used woof-ce might have a better understanding of the scope of the changes and might want to have a say

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

*crickets*

I thought there'd be a bit of interest in this but the silence is deafening!

Anyway, work is progressing. Thanks for taking the initiative jlist.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

learnhow2code

#3 Post by learnhow2code »

does this mean that bk no longer works on puppy, or simply that he no longer leads the project?

i used puppy years ago, this is interesting news. if its not getting more comments i presume that everyone that might click on it is already familiar enough with the topic?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Barry K has stopped controlling and for the most part working on Puppy.
He plays around with Quirky and does his own thing with it.

He turned control over to the Puppy community by way of Woof-CE and anyone that wants to work on Puppy.

List of current Puppy Linux stewards

Puppy Linux Master Steward - Mick Amadio (01micko).
Role: Appoint which distribution is considered as “Official Release
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

learnhow2code

#5 Post by learnhow2code »

bigpup wrote: Dima Krasner (iguleder)
hey, i think i know this guy. i think he did the only version of puppy ive tried in 5 years. (mm, almost.)

definitely lends credibility to puppy wherever he goes.

thanks for the cast list, thats good info.

Sailor Enceladus

#6 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I like the indenting by 1 space Barry uses, 8 spaces makes nests way too long and requires too much shifting back and forth.

Stuff like this for example:

8 spaces (no!): https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commit/3ad573f708b9abc2061d5f77d2392979ace1ea1a#diff-ea9ccf3734f33062ca2dbd5532427431R331
1 space (yes!): https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commit/3ad573f708b9abc2061d5f77d2392979ace1ea1a#diff-ea9ccf3734f33062ca2dbd5532427431L367

Plus if you have some files that are 8 spaces and some that are 1 it's not consistent... but I guess 1920x1080 widescreen is all the rage now.

jlst

#7 Post by jlst »

Good point Sailor Enceladus.. you're right, but a simple space " " is confusing when you actually have to deal with thousands of lines of code or when you want to read a script as fast as possible. Maybe 2 or 3 spaces are ok.

With tabs you can easily see where statements end, you can focus in the part of the code you want edit, that's why it's popular.

findpkgs is not the best example, but I had to do it. So making it look a bit better is a TODO.

This is a better example, but it uses functions for everything
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... s/build.sh

learnhow2code

#8 Post by learnhow2code »

jlst wrote:but a simple space " " is confusing when you actually have to deal with thousands of lines of code
if removing almost all the leading spaces makes running a php file that much faster, my next question is why? either way, this is a case for running code through an optimizer before uploading it, not for maintaining your indents so close together.

if everyone is really happy with it, i guess its fine for you.

i usually like 4 just fine, but sometimes i like 2. 1 would just get underfoot, imo. who does 8? thats ridiculous. (no?)

jlst

#9 Post by jlst »

Some puppy scripts have ridiculously long lines, so it makes sense to use 2 or 3 spaces at most...

---------------

Now have your ever used the "1choosepackages" script? Is it really useful?

Sailor Enceladus

#10 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I tried to use 4babybuild once but it didn't do what I thought a baby build was (or I just wasn't using it right - lol).

jlst

#11 Post by jlst »

I see 4babybuild deals mostly with kernel drivers, haven't tried it.

I built a slacko, it boots to desktop, but the desktop is messed up.. no brackground image, no icons, no jwm tray, I wonder what i did wrong, i used the defaults for everything.. enter enter enter. Perhaps I introduced a bug or something..

Sailor Enceladus

#12 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

That happened to me before too because I clicked X on a pop-up window instead of "Ok" out of habit from web spam (I think)

edit: Or it took the wrong path here github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/blob/testing/woof-code/3builddistro-Z#L1478

jlst

#13 Post by jlst »

That could be a reason. It seems that 3builddistro doesn't check whether you chose a working/valid/existing theme or not. Or perhaps my OS is not properly equipped for that step.

This time i chose buntoo, and it boots to desktop, and shows everything ok. But then I find that it freezes after a few seconds in this particular old fashioned machine.. the same thing happens in slacko 6.3.0.. so I'll try to figure out why.

peebee

#14 Post by peebee »

Built LxPupSc-16.06.103-R:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... tionalise/

using:

BUILD_FROM_WOOF='rationalise;1bf4933;2016-06-19 23:23:49 +0000'

seems sane so far tested on my desktop with nvidia graphics....

the build definitely went quicker - particularly the built-in .pet build stage

what should I test?

already tried fdrv - OKish - but see below

Cheers

PeeBee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#15 Post by peebee »

With fdrv - get the

Updating.... layered filesystem message and delay

on every boot

I think gyro mentioned that sfs-load needs updating??
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jlst

#16 Post by jlst »

Thanks peebee for building a lxpup with the all the changes that have happened... nothing seems to be broken, that's a good sign..

Well, it's working quite well, i don't see any difference. Regarding the fdrv issue, i'll test that in a moment

jlst

#17 Post by jlst »

peebee how about building a tahr lxpup?

jlst

#18 Post by jlst »

Ok, something happens when the fdrv is present, the layered filesystem is updated on every boot..

If if remove the fdrv and reboot.. I see the tray apps start twice. If i reboot again, everything's ok.

gyro

#19 Post by gyro »

jlst wrote:Ok, something happens when the fdrv is present, the layered filesystem is updated on every boot..
The problem is with "sfs_load".
It does not handle fdrv properly. At shutdown it removes the fdrv filename from PREVUNIONRECORD in BOOTCONFIG, making it different again, so next boot does "update" again.
Change "sfs_load" so that it handles the fdrv identical to the adrv, and all should be well.

Sorry, I haven't gotten around to producing a new version of "sfs_load", and am unlikely to do so in the near future.

gyro

jlst

#20 Post by jlst »

Ok, I'll add sfs_load to woofce