How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gcmartin

Connecting Smart Phone/Tablet/Phablet/Device to PUPPY Linux

#1 Post by gcmartin »

There are 3 ways to connect smart devices to Puppy Linux. They are
  • wired via USB; using
  • wireless via Bluetooth
  • wireless via Wifi over the same LAN your PUP PC is attached
This thread is for members to contribute ways/steps/directions to accomplish connections about "connecting your PUPs with your smart device(s)".

Feel free to ask questions for guidance on this thread. But be aware that answers from knowledgeable members might be directing to other forum threads on utilities specific to your questions.

Feedback is welcomed. Hope this is helpful
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 16:50, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Reserved for future use.

Pete

#3 Post by Pete »

I always use PupCamera, however it sometimes gives an error that
a directory is empty or does not exist.

A refresh sorts it.

Pelo

Never i used my phone linked to my computer,

#4 Post by Pelo »

Merci GCmartin. It should be helpful. Never i used my phone linked to my computer, excepted for pictures transfer. The phone becoming an access point for wireless seem of great interest.
all that is very difficult to understand because of technical words that mean nothing to me. But it becomes my project for next months.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Gcmartin: this isn't much of a How-to yet. Can you give some worked examples?

Pete

#6 Post by Pete »

@Pelo

If your phone/tablet is Android based, why not load a ftp server on it?
Then via wifi from your computer (or even via ethernet to a wifi A.P.)
you can read and write files to it and according to the app below,
even the sd card in the phone/tablet is accessible simply by using a web browser on your pc and entering:

ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the i.p. of the phone and yyyy the port number.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rver&hl=en

Note that I have not tried this app so cannot vouch for it.
A quick Google search will no doubt return many more.

Keef

#7 Post by Keef »

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/Android

jmtpfs /mnt/Android

rox /mnt/Android
The first and third actions can be done easily with the mouse, and the directory (which does not have to be under 'mnt', and call it whatever you like) only needs to be done once.

jmtpfs is in the PPM in Tahrpup.

Works with a Samsung Moto G.

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Flash

Some of the main PUP utilities are now expressed in the opening thread.

As we can see, members are already contributing ideas and solutions to this thread. An FTP server/client is one.

If you have a physical WiFi on your LAN and your mobile device connects, I "semi-strongly" encourage you look at the free ES app from your mobile's app store. It is a rather robust client and will talk/read/connect/write/share with all of the modern PUPs which have SAMBA V4+ running. It is excellent for backup and restores, if necessary of files you want to protect to your PUP system(s).

If you decide ES as a app, BE SURE your WiFi connection is on the EXACT SAME LAN as your running PUP with SAMBA active (via PUP's Menu>Network>Simple Samba Manager). With SAMBA running on your PC and with ES running on your mobile, the mobile can control what is done with its files and it can also playback media files it sees.

ES can "see" and connect with FTP servers, if you choose that element of its features as well as the SAMBA element it is so well known for. The SAMBA element (SMB), as many of you already know, is found in EVERY MS/Apple/Linux/modern-PUPs on the planet.

I mention ES because, not only is it free, but it does not use sneaky ways to shove ads down my throat as some of the other free clients do.

Hope this is helpful

Pete

#9 Post by Pete »

gcmartin wrote: I mention ES because, not only is it free, but it does not use sneaky ways to shove ads down my throat as some of the other free clients do.
Ha yes the eternal problem of all those pesky ads in the free apps.
To me it's really irritating.

There is another way to get files from the phone to the computer without loading anything extra on the phone/tablet.
Most puppys come with a web server (hiawatha) and also perl, so we could put them to good use.
Create a simple web page on the computer with a file upload script.

Then from the phone we use the web browser and via wifi we go to that
web page which will be served by our local web server.

The file/s will then be uploaded from the phone to the computer and stored in a directory we chose for the web server to store them in.

Obviously it would be a cumbersome way to transfer many files in one go, but for the occasional upload it's fine.

This method will work for any web server like Apache, Hiawatha (plus many more) and file uploading scripts are available for perl, php and many others.

For php:

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_file_upload.asp

and for Perl:

https://www.sitepoint.com/uploading-files-cgi-perl/
Last edited by Pete on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.

Pete

#10 Post by Pete »

Or even, the hardware only solution........ :D
Attachments
DualUSBstickjpg.jpg
(20.01 KiB) Downloaded 1522 times

Moose On The Loose

Re: Connecting Smart Phone/Tablet/Phablet/Device to PUPPY Linux

#11 Post by Moose On The Loose »

gcmartin wrote:There are 3 ways to connect smart devices to Puppy Linux. They are
  • wired via USB; using
  • wireless via Bluetooth
  • wireless via Wifi over the same LAN your PUP PC is attached
This thread is for members to contribute ways/steps/directions to accomplish connections about "connecting your PUPs with your smart device(s)".

Feel free to ask questions for guidance on this thread. But be aware that answers from knowledgeable members might be directing to other forum threads on utilities specific to your questions.

Feedback is welcomed. Hope this is helpful
Over in:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 37c9336289

I suggested working on an improved pmount system. I made a start on it but my camera died. Other projects took priority.

gcmartin

Connecting SmartPhone via Wifi

#12 Post by gcmartin »

This is one of the easiest (at least for me) solutions for 2 way file transfers.

Reasons for ease of use of a PUP distro with a SmartPhone
  • No installations occur on PUPs I use. SAMBA is already installed. I run the PUP's SSM to share a Public folder.
Then on the SmartPhone, I open the ES app and select LAN. ES shows me my servers. I choose the PUP PC with the Public folder and I can move access or change data in that folder as is necessary. ES will playback multimedia files I would have in that folder.

Note: In following pic, notice the "LAN" entry for finding your PUP PC which is sharing content to your LAN
Finally, ES has a file-manager making it easy to cut and past files or folders from one place to the next.

Hope this is helpful

mcewanw

hotspot

#13 Post by mcewanw »

The other useful way of connecting a smart phone to Linux is a bit different: using smart phone to create a wifi connection hotspot (settings option is often called 'tethering' and can be wifi or usb tethering). Most android phones, at least, have that as a simple to set up option. I say this, because that is what I am currently having to use since my broadband connection isn't working. Alas, here at least, it is much much more expensive to use a 3G or 4G mobile connection for internet, which the hotspot is of course.

For anyone who doesn't know this, the hotspot simply allows you to connect your laptops and other mobile phones to the internet via that one smart phone assigned as a 3G/4G hotspot. It is proving invaluable for me at the moment (aside from the cost of continuously having to top up the SIM - good to turn off any background internet using apps when using the phone thus as a hotspot - saves some precious bandwidth).

William
github mcewanw

davids45

For simple file transers - try Dukto

#14 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&t=101010

I regularly use dukto to transfer files between devices on my home network.
Phones and tablets have the android version loaded.
Windows computers (XP and W7) use the Windows version of dukto.
Puppies run the linux version.

Very simple and fast file transfers. Click or tap the desktop dukto icon on the devices involved and share away.

My camera just plugs in to a USB to share files, i.e. to download taken photos.

David S.

greengeek

Re: hotspot

#15 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:....connect your laptops and other mobile phones to the internet via that one smart phone assigned as a 3G/4G hotspot. It is proving invaluable for me at the moment (aside from the cost of continuously having to top up the SIM
I used to use prepay with a small data plan and pay for extra topups as required. But then I found a better way to control data costs and it works well if you have multiple family members. A few months ago I set up a monthly payment to 2degrees (phone network provider in NZ) in order to get their data sharing plan - it gives you 100 free minutes and unlimited texts on your main phone, but allows you to share your data plan across multiple devices - and those other devices don't have to be topped up - they just need a valid sim.

In my case this works well because it lets me have texts and calls on my old button style phone, and also internet access on my 3G tablet (which has a word processing suite on it so it saves me taking a laptop everywhere) and also lets my son use a third phone as a wifi tether for his laptop on the other side of town. I can also use my tablet as a tether for my own laptop.
Yes it's $29.95 per month but it turns out cheaper than the cumulative costs we were paying before and the convenience has become indispensible.

It also meant I could have a cheaper plan on my home broadband.

Johnnyboy

#16 Post by Johnnyboy »

I would like to use my laptop running puppy as a monitor for the raspberry pi- although I can do this when connected to my network by getting the ip of the pi and using r desktop to connect.- If I have no internet this won't work. A usb tethering option exists for android devices using vncviewer - is this possible on puppy?
Thanks
John