Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 16 Dec 2017, 05:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
VLC : what works, what does not
Page 5 of 6 [77 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
learnhow2code

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2016, 01:22    Post subject:  

jlst wrote:
mplayer did work but the mplayer window would disappear if the focus changed to other window.

interesting, havent had that happen. mplayer is always my first choice; vlc was once my next choice but lately (puppy aside) theyve taken a large quality hit. i would be interested in why mplayer has such an issue in puppy.
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2016, 01:31    Post subject:  

The problem with Mplayer is that Tahrpup, Xenial puppy kick it out, as Ubuntu did.
I a sure all answer for FFmpeg and Mplayer are available in the Puppy forum, as it has been since several years our choice to replace GXine.
About VLC, i don't have anything against VLC, created by french students. But Mplayer is needed so often by any of our puppies that is is really to bad idea to abandon it. The minimum is that persons who did that choice provide us with a no garbled version of VLC (if ever they choose anything).

Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2016, 09:09    Post subject: VLC : what works, what does not  

I compiled xine-lib-1.2.6 and xine-ui-0.99.9 in Xslacko 4.1, it's
working well with Smtube-16.7.2.
Vlc-2.2.4 is working well with it as well.
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   101.39 KB
 Viewed   484 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

jlst

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2016, 10:30    Post subject:  

learnhow2code wrote:
jlst wrote:
mplayer did work but the mplayer window would disappear if the focus changed to other window.

interesting, havent had that happen. mplayer is always my first choice; vlc was once my next choice but lately (puppy aside) theyve taken a large quality hit. i would be interested in why mplayer has such an issue in puppy.

Well, mplayer does have basically everything, but when you test it with various graphics cards, you're more likely to encounter issues, but mplayer will still play vids.

I have a script to rip DVD subtitles with mplayer... it's also used in scripts to play radio stations, etc... so i don't think it's a good idea to replace mplayer as the default media player in Puppy, unless it's replaced by mpv hehe..

If there is a problem with mplayer, one should upgrade..
learnhow2code

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2016, 10:54    Post subject:  

jlst wrote:
mplayer does have basically everything, but when you test it with various graphics cards, you're more likely to encounter issues, but mplayer will still play vids.

more likely to throw out the card or the machine than mplayer in that case. i dont have a lot of patience for other players, but i can appreciate that mplayer is not the de facto number 1 choice for puppy-- particularly given what youre saying.

Quote:
i don't think it's a good idea to replace mplayer as the default media player in Puppy, unless it's replaced by mpv hehe..

last time i used puppy to play media, xine seemed to be the thing. hateful thing, dont care for it at all. but i was quite aware that i could use something else, and i always used boot media (usb or cd) that let me add pups and pets for whatever player i wanted. if mplayer is the new default, i would say thats probably a good thing.
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 14:19    Post subject: pets For Slacko  

"I made pets of Vlc-2.2.4 for both Slacko-64-6.3.2 and Slacko-6.3.2 "
Biltoo kindly provided here Biltoo kindly provides pets here

Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul 2016, 12:52    Post subject: Please precise what you tested  

Vlc Can run files, but not CD, or DVD.
Please precise what you tested
File extension
CD
DVD, full and or Chapters

smokey01

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul 2016, 22:59    Post subject:  

pelo this is VLC-2.2.2 running in Fatdog64-710. As you can see it displays chapters and titles on a DVD. If you have a 64bit computer maybe you should give Fatdog a go.
vlc-chapters.jpg
 Description   VLC showing chapters.
 Filesize   77 KB
 Viewed   354 Time(s)

vlc-chapters.jpg

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul 2016, 23:31    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
pelo this is VLC-2.2.2 running in Fatdog64-710. As you can see it displays chapters and titles on a DVD. If you have a 64bit computer maybe you should give Fatdog a go.

It does in slacko-632 as well, with the correct dependencies installed.
vlcchapters.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   69.78 KB
 Viewed   343 Time(s)

vlcchapters.jpg

Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul 2016, 23:56    Post subject: merci Biltoo for information about Chapters.  

merci Biltoo and smockey01 for information about Chapters.
About Fatdog 64, it was tested, but i prefer Puppy, easier to use. I hope my opinion will not cause personnal attacks again ! Confused
A description of fatdog by pelo was available on You Tube (description, no opinion). Deleted because lot of tutos fatdog are yet available, and that is nice. If our Puppy Screencasters could do some How-to, please, because for french videos are easier to understand,
I really Like Puppy Linux, as passenger, i never liked programming. Further more i was judged bad by tests

I regret a lot Smockey01, his pets are useful and will be still usefull a long time.
My Thougt : Puppy does not need 64 bits. I have no software which need PAE or great speed. But that is to be discussed elsewhere.
FatDog.jpg
 Description   Tuto Fatdog by ... Gnome Mplayer (sorry...)
 Filesize   29.33 KB
 Viewed   319 Time(s)

FatDog.jpg

Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug 2016, 21:22    Post subject: VLC 2.2.2 Weather Wax  

VLC 2.2.2 Weather Wax included in :
puppy_xenial_7.0.1 Lxup > DVD, full and Chapters OK , just select with the mouse.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2016, 08:53    Post subject:  

jlst wrote:

Well, mplayer does have basically everything, but when you test it with various graphics cards, you're more likely to encounter issues, but mplayer will still play vids.

I have a script to rip DVD subtitles with mplayer... it's also used in scripts to play radio stations, etc... so i don't think it's a good idea to replace mplayer as the default media player in Puppy, unless it's replaced by mpv hehe..

If there is a problem with mplayer, one should upgrade..

I agree.

I've certainly used VLC often, previously in Windows as well as sometimes in Linux, and it has generally worked fine for me on these past occasions. But I also feel that mplayer is a better default for Puppy, and also noted today how important mplayer is to getting the most out of mhwaveedit in terms of not just handling format wav:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108071

I've never really had any problems with mplayer and find it easy to control even via the commandline keys, and it is not particularly resource greedy and works well for Internet radio streams too. For several of these reasons I find it painful to use any system which doesn't include it but I also find it painful to have to install mplayer when vlc is already present. I just want mplayer (and ffmpeg and I wish I could avoid QT when gtk+ is already on the system, but QT is becoming difficult to avoid since several common video editors now rely on it... pity).

William

Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep 2016, 09:44    Post subject: vlc in menu it loads and disappears in a second  

Wert : tahrpup 6.0.2 updated. When I click vlc in menu it loads and disappears in a second Mike Walsh suggest vlc-2.1.0-i686-nodeps-s14.sfs from Smokey01 mediastores. 13MB.
I suppose that all people are not concerned.

Mplayer satisfied most of us using music, videos, audio not only as watching but also creating, because it's our hobby. I have no shame coming back to Precise Puppies.

Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 10 Aug 2017, 21:56    Post subject: VLC 214 wiith Italian X-upup  

VLC 214 wiith Italian X-upup My video MP4 played.
I began to believe my video had a bug, because not played by VLC.. But version 2.1.4 does it. Strange, mais tant mieux

Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017, 21:33    Post subject: Audio : what are the default settings : alsa, or pulse ?  

Audio : what are the default settings : alsa, or pulse ?
Mp3 no sound. VLC 2.1.4 x-upup tahr 6.0.2 (italian version)..
Nota : i run some Puppy Linux versions only for language (Spanish, italian, but not magyar, too much difficult)
MP3.jpg
 Description   audio, there are so many choices listed.. Which one is the good ?
 Filesize   43.24 KB
 Viewed   68 Time(s)

MP3.jpg

Page 5 of 6 [77 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: