Uninstalling standard programs

Booting, installing, newbie
PeterB

Uninstalling standard programs

#1 Post by PeterB »

I have done a Puppy hard disk install and very happy with the way it is running. Just wondering how I get rid of some programs that I don't really need, e.g. I don't need 2 scientific calculators or 2 partition managers etc. Understand how to download new programs and install / uninstall them but what about the standard programs?

PS What a speedy puppy it is!

Dougal

Re: Uninstalling standard programs

#2 Post by Dougal »

PeterB wrote:I have done a Puppy hard disk install and very happy with the way it is running. Just wondering how I get rid of some programs that I don't really need, e.g. I don't need 2 scientific calculators or 2 partition managers etc. Understand how to download new programs and install / uninstall them but what about the standard programs?

PS What a speedy puppy it is!
The easiest way is probably to comment out the relevant lines in the JWM menu (/root/.jwmrc) and forget about those programs... they don't take up much space and uninstalling will be much more complicated.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

One way is to download the package from ibiblio that contains that program, extract it (tar -zxf PACKAGE.tar.gz), then find the files that are in it within the actual Puppy distro.

For example, you open up coolprogram-1.5.tar.gz, which makes the directory coolprogram-1.5/. Inside is a usr/bin/coolprogram, so you go to the actual /usr/bin/ and find coolprogram and delete it.

I wrote a script that does all this for you and works much like Pupget in reverse (as it was pupget before I hacked it to pieces). I don't know if it works in Puppy 2 though. I think it should, but I'd still be carefull with it.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if it's even being hosted anywhere since my site whent down in the spring. I'll dig it out, test it, and upload it later tonight after I get done reading the 35 other tabs I have open in Firefox right now (I'm not kidding).

It's named PupBeGone, by the way.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

darkerror05

#4 Post by darkerror05 »

pizzasgood: yes your Pupbegone still works great in 2.xx . I use it all the time.
-darkerror

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

Great. I just searched the forum and found out I had it hosted here as an attachment, so it's still availible to all.

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 82&start=0
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

PeterB

Uninstalling standard programs - Pupbegone

#6 Post by PeterB »

Pizzasgood - Pupbegone - Great little app. Just what the puppy ordered - works a treat.