Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Aug 2018, 19:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Google Chrome 64-bit SFS packages (now has a NEW 'look')...
Page 15 of 16 [227 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec 2017, 15:13    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
I do not like spot, very restrictive for me if I'm batching without being able to use wget.

I'll let you into a few secrets, mate. I may have only been a Puppian for about 3 1/2 years, but I've been a Chrome user from day one. I downloaded that very first beta, pre-release evaluation spin of Chrome, in Autumn 2008.....and I've never looked back since.

Chrome has always had what's known as the 'developer mode'. Essentially, it frees the developers from having to run like 'normal' Linux distros do (as a 'user'), and allows them free rein to do what they want with the browser.

For a long time - till quite recently, in fact - that mechanism has been achieved in Linux by allowing the browser to run as root. Because of the unique way in which Pup runs, we've always taken full advantage of that 'loophole'.

Well.....no more, unfortunately.

During the last year, the WebExtensionsAPI (the same one that FireFox is now building the extensions eco-system around) has finally reached maturity. Google have been making no secret of the fact that they fully intended to implement it in Chrome so that the need to allow running as root could finally be done away with.

And that's what's happened at long last.

For the very first time in Pup's 'relationship' with Chrome, we no longer have a choice. We're not running Chrome (or the other Chromium-based browsers) as 'spot' because we want to.....or because we think it's better. (Which it isn't...)

Since Chrome 62, running as 'spot' in Puppy is, (quite literally), the only way to make Chrome run at all now. Big Brother (aka Google) has decided, in his wisdom, that Daddy knows what's best.....and naughty Puppians must finally 'toe the line'. Or else....

If things carry on like this, we shall eventually end up re-writing Puppy, via 'patch' after 'patch' after 'patch', into a carbon copy of every other distro out there.....and Pup will lose it's unique identity.

I'm not looking forward to that day, I tell you..! Shocked

Mike. Wink

ally

PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec 2017, 16:25    Post subject:  

I fully understand it is a chrome's making apologies if it came across otherwise

Smile
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec 2017, 18:17    Post subject:  

ally wrote:
I fully understand it is a chrome's making apologies if it came across otherwise

Smile

Nah, you're all right, mate. I thought it was as good a time as any to clarify the situation as of this moment in time.....seems like Google have been making major changes with every other release these last few months.

Just be patient with us; that's all I ask. Those of us who package the various incarnations of these browsers.....Oscar, peebee, myself, to name but three.....if we didn't share tricks & tips around between us I don't know where we'd be. Even PhilB (with his 'bbe' script for changing ownership permissions), and Iguleder (with 'libpuppygc.so') have indirectly helped out. Not forgetting the 'head honcho' himself, Micko, for pointing me toward the latter last year.

And, last (but by no means least) battleshooter, for his assistance on the self-contained NSS libs'n'stuff, and belham2 with his modifications to the wrapper scripts, and the 'new' method for running as 'spot'. Everybody's pulled together, and helped out.

Anyroad, I'm not gonna find fault with our archivist, now.....am I?? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 07:05; edited 2 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan 2018, 15:50    Post subject:  

Evening, boys'n'girls.

The current stable release of Chrome - 64.0.3282.119 - is now available from the usual location in post #1. Sorry for the slight delay; this has been out for a week, but I haven't had time till this evening.... Embarassed

----------------------------------------------------

Belham2's wrapper-script and 'run-as-spot' modifications are still running sweetly, as are battleshooter's 'self-contained' NSS/GTK3 libs. No real problems to report, aside from the afore-mentioned possible reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing. I still maintain this could be confined to my own machine, since I haven't had any reports of problems in this area, Please remember, boys & girls.....feedback is important, and helps me to keep producing Chrome for all Puppians.

'Silent-launch' is now included as standard.

Changes for this release:-

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2018/01/stable-channel-update-for-desktop_24.html

Google's devs/techs keep on coming up with ideas to improve your browsing experience. The new, up-and-coming one is 'lazy loading':-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-chrome-to-feature-built-in-image-lazy-loading/

.....which apparently, only loads items on the webpage as and when they actually come into view.....this is, of course, supposed to help with page-load times. We'll see!

-------------------------------------------------------

Any problems, let me know, as always, and we'll see if we can fix them..

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

mjmikulcik

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2018, 23:20    Post subject:  

Thanks a lot for this.

One note, I found it difficult figuring out how to get the sfs to run because GTK3 wasn't installed and I hadn't symlinked libpcre.so.3 as the following thread suggests. I had to dig through the forum a lot to figure that out, so I recommend putting that somewhere conspicuous.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107301&search_id=2107702706&start=165

I've done brief testing and I've found no problems with downloads, but crashes on uploads with error "Glib-gio-error **: setting schema org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser does not contain a key named startup mode" .
Otherwise, good work, thanks.

Edit:
I finally fixed my error by locating the proper org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml file from this url.

https://github.com/GNOME/gtk/blob/master/gtk/org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml

Then I put it in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas and compiled it with glib-compile-schemas in terminal.

That made it work and it uploads okay now. I can't reproduce any upload/download errors on my Slacko64 6.3.2

Edit 2:
I can't get it to open any ntfs formatted partition to upload. I don't know why that is.

Last edited by mjmikulcik on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 13:37; edited 2 times in total
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb 2018, 06:43    Post subject: reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing
Subject description: reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing

"reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing"

Hello Mike,

I can re-produce this crashing upon download/upload. I applied your NSS/GTK3 libs folder and running Waterfox56.0.3 on system without GTK3, the browser just kill itself whenever i try to upload/download files. So I think your NSS/GTK3 libs folder may be the cause of the crashing, but i am not sure as i am not a coder.

Hope this info. provide you some debugging hints.

Thanks again for your effort in packaging these browsers for the puppy community.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2018, 10:22    Post subject:  

G'day, kiddiwinks.

The current stable release of Chrome - 65.0.3325.146 - is now available from the usual location in post #1. It was released during the last 36 hours, so we're fairly up-to-date on this one!

Belham2's wrapper-script and 'run-as-spot' modifications are still running sweetly, as are battleshooter's 'self-contained' NSS/GTK3 libs. No real problems to report, aside from the afore-mentioned possible reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing. I still maintain this could be confined to my own machine, since I haven't had any reports of problems in this area, Please remember, boys & girls.....feedback is important, and helps me to keep producing Chrome for all Puppians.

'Silent-launch' is now included as standard.

Changes for this release:-

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2018/01/stable-channel-update-for-desktop_24.html

Chrome has now acquired a new directory inside the /google/chrome folder; something called 'MEIPreload' (???) I cannot find any discussion or mention of this anywhere in the Google/Chromium Project eco-sphere at all, but from opening up the 'manifest.json' file that accompanies it, 'twould appear to be something that pre-loads data for 'Media Engagement' (whatever that is).

If anyone else can unearth any info on this thing, let me know, please.

-------------------------------------------------------

Any problems, drop me a line; we'll see what's what.

Have fun.

Mike. Wink

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:50    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
No real problems to report, aside from the afore-mentioned possible reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing.

Hello Mike,
This may be happening because GTK3 needs its file chooser.
When you download or upload you get that window asking to browse for location.
The libs alone don't provide this.
Look in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
There should be an .xml file for FileChooser and at least one other for ColorChooser.
If those are present you then have to run the command glib-compile-schemas
This updates the gschemas.compiled cog-wheel file to include all the .xml files present.

But the snag is that users may have other .xml gschemas files already installed and you don't want to "uncompile" those. Also, if you include an updated gschemas.compiled file in an .sfs package it won't appear above an existing one in the layered file system. I believe we don't have the option of a pinstall.sh script either.

I like the idea of standalone all-inclusive packages for convenience and I know that others are offering them. In this case though I am not sure what the best way forward is. Options include instructing the user to install the GTK3 package via PPM and removing it from the Chrome package or at least instructing the user to run glib-compile-schemas after loading the Chrome .sfs package (with the .xml files included).

Marv

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2018, 15:25    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:

This may be happening because GTK3 needs its file chooser.
When you download or upload you get that window asking to browse for location.
The libs alone don't provide this.
Look in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
There should be an .xml file for FileChooser and at least one other for ColorChooser.
If those are present you then have to run the command glib-compile-schemas
This updates the gschemas.compiled cog-wheel file to include all the .xml files present.

But the snag is that users may have other .xml gschemas files already installed and you don't want to "uncompile" those. Also, if you include an updated gschemas.compiled file in an .sfs package it won't appear above an existing one in the layered file system. I believe we don't have the option of a pinstall.sh script either.

I like the idea of standalone all-inclusive packages for convenience and I know that others are offering them. In this case though I am not sure what the best way forward is. Options include instructing the user to install the GTK3 package via PPM and removing it from the Chrome package or at least instructing the user to run glib-compile-schemas after loading the Chrome .sfs package (with the .xml files included).

A slight bit of an aside, still chromium related, but this hint fixed the problems I had with Slimjet version 18.0.1.0 running from SFS in LxPupSc64 18.03 crashing/exiting on any attempt to save-to etc. I ran
Code:
glib-compile-schemas  /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
after the SFS was loaded.

Thanks,

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, and LxPupBB for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS. Now tazpup for puzzles Smile
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2018, 18:33    Post subject:  

Hi, Oscar.

Mm. As usual, you've hit the nail on the head there. I'd suspected the 'glib-schemas' a while ago, but I've had so much on my plate here at home one way or another since Xmas that I really haven't had time to investigate.

I've tried this myself, and downloading now works nicely. Only snag now is I've currently got that old problem rearing its head; text not displaying properly in the 'Save' dialogue, and loads of those little wee boxes in their place.....

(Grrr..!!)

I think I'll repack with the schemas .xml files, and add instructions to run that line of code. peebee's got it included in with his wrapper-script, but I cannot get it to work with the bastardized wrapper-script we're having to use in Chrome nowadays. I greatly appreciate battleshooter's and belham2's input on this, don't get me wrong.....but the darn thing is hardly recognisable as the relatively simple script that you and I remember it as being..... Rolling Eyes

All in the name of 'progress'! Such is life.... (*sigh*)

---------------------------

@Marv:-

Thanks for confirming the routine works for you as well. It doesn't matter a hoot which Chromium-based browser you're using; it should work for all of 'em, since they all use the same code-base.

Cheers.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2018, 07:43    Post subject:  

Morning, boys & girls.

Following Oscar's advice (and taking a leaf out of peebee's book), I've re-packed the most recent Chrome - Google_Chrome-65.0.3325.146-amd64 - and added the necessary 'schemas' in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas.....to include the newest 'File Chooser', amongst a few other things.

When you've loaded the SFS, run the following line of code in the terminal:_

Code:
glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

All things being equal, downloads will now once again work as they should do.

---------------------------------------------------------

However; files in ~/Spot/Downloads will have 'spot:spot' ownership. peebee has arranged things so that anything downloaded into ~/Spot/Downloads has 'root:root' ownership automatically. I think it's nicer if you can move those files to your normal Downloads folder with the correct permissions already in place.

Accordingly, I've knocked up a new version of a wee utility I put together last year. It's called 'Spot2Root'; you'll find it under Menu->Utility->Spot2Root, and all you do is click on it. It works like this:-

It creates an 'intermediate' folder in /usr/share, called Spot2Root, and a sub-folder within ~/Downloads, called CHROME-DOWNLOADS. When you click on it, it first moves the contents of ~/spot/Downloads to the intermediate folder, /usr/share/Spot2Root.

It then changes the spot:spot permissions to root:root, followed by moving the changed files into ~/Downloads/CHROME-DOWNLOADS.

So:-

You download something with Chrome. You click on Menu->Utility->Spot2Root.....and the downloaded file is now in the sub-directory inside your main Downloads directory, with the normal root:root permissions.

Perhaps slightly clunky, but it gives you the choice of whether to change ownership of your downloaded file or not. You might for some reason want your file to have spot:spot ownership..! (*shrug*)

I've attached it to the bottom of this post. Since it has a Menu entry, if you wish you can add it to the launcher area, left-hand side of the JWM tray.....and then you don't need to hunt through the Menu for it..! Or, drag it onto the desktop...

Mike. Wink
Spot2Root-v3.2.pet
Description  Spot2Root downloads ownership changer/mover
pet

Download 
Filename  Spot2Root-v3.2.pet 
Filesize  13.89 KB 
Downloaded  145 Time(s) 

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr 2018, 18:31    Post subject:  

Evening, all.

The current stable version of Chrome - Google_Chrome-66.0.3359.117-amd64 - is now available for download, from the usual location referenced in post #1.

------------------------------------------------

From this version onward, Google are becoming really strict about security. They have now commenced a phased 'distrust' of all certificates issued by Symantec (the people who bring you, among other things, Norton Security), prior to 2016. This will be fully completed by October this year. You can read about it here, and here.

One of the downsides of this is that you may find some of your regular websites will no longer display in Chrome. I don't believe this is a decision that Google will back down from, despite plenty of objections from Symantec themselves. The advice given by most of the tech bloggers is that you'll simply have to use a secondary browser for these sites, so FF Quantum will be a good standby.

--------------------------------------------------

Changes and updates in this release are as explained here, on the regular Chrome blog page.

One interesting item of note is the trialling of 'Site Isolation', part of Google's original research into Spectre mitigation.

62 security issues are also addressed.

I explained in the last post about the need to 'set-up' the now-included glib-schemas so that downloading/uploading will work without crashing the browser, by running

Code:

.....immediately after loading the SFS. (This will only need to be performed once). I also introduced a perhaps slightly clunky 'workaround' for changing permissions from spot:spot back to Pup's usual root:root for those dowloaded items (which involves a single extra mouse-click).

The 'Spot2Root' file permission changer script & files are now included as a built-in part of the Chrome package. And instead of having to look up Spot2Root in the Menu, it now appears as a large green 'tick' in the notification area (or 'system tray', for those of you used to Windows-speak).

Download your item (which goes to /root/spot/Downloads, with spot:spot permissions). Click on the green tick.....and the item is now in your main Downloads directory, with the normal Puppy root:root permissions.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Any problems, you know where to find me.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sat 12 May 2018, 11:04    Post subject:
Subject description: chrome66 - running as root

Hello fellow google chrome users,

does anyone tried ETP's latest google chrome 66. It seems to be able running as root.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=991458#991458
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2018, 08:30    Post subject:  

Afternoon, everybody.

The current stable version of Chrome - Google_Chrome-67.0.3396.62-amd64 - is now available for download, from the new location referenced in post #1.

From the previous version (66) onward, Google are becoming really strict about security. They have now commenced a phased 'distrust' of all certificates issued by Symantec (the people who bring you, among other things, Norton Security), prior to 2016. This will be fully completed by October this year. You can read about it here, and here.

One of the downsides of this is that you may find some of your regular websites will no longer display in Chrome. I don't believe this is a decision that Google will back down from, despite plenty of objections from Symantec themselves. The advice given by most of the tech bloggers is that you'll simply have to use a secondary browser for these sites, so FF Quantum will be a good standby.

Changes and updates in this release are as explained here, on the regular Chrome blog page.

One interesting item of note is the trialling of 'Site Isolation', part of Google's original research into Spectre mitigation. This began in Chrome 66, and is ongoing.

34 security issues are also addressed.

I explained in the last post about the need to 'set-up' the now-included glib-schemas so that downloading/uploading will work without crashing the browser, by running

Code:

There is no need to manually run this command any longer. A small script has been placed in /usr/sbin & sym-linked into /root/Startup, which will automatically run the compile command at boot time.

The 'Spot2Root' file permission changer script & files are now included as a built-in part of the Chrome package. And instead of having to look up Spot2Root in the Menu, it now appears as a large green 'tick' in the notification area (or 'system tray', for those of you used to Windows-speak).

Download your item (which goes to /root/spot/Downloads, with spot:spot permissions). Click on the green tick.....and the item is now in your main Downloads directory, with the normal Puppy root:root permissions.

Any problems, you know where to find me.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul 2018, 13:29    Post subject:  

Afternoon, all.

The current stable version of Chrome - Google_Chrome-68.0.3440.75-amd64 - is now available for download, from the new location referenced in post #1.

From version 66 onward, Google started becoming really strict about security. They commenced a phased 'distrust' of all certificates issued by Symantec (the people who bring you, among other things, Norton Security), prior to 2016. This will be fully completed by October this year. You can read about it here, and here.

42 security issues have been addressed since the previous release.

The biggest issue of note with this release hits you in the face as soon as Chrome fires up; the new-look to the GUI. Google have been tweaking things in the background for the last few months, and at long last the sloped tabs have bitten the dust. In come tabs very reminiscent of the older 'Australis' Firefox interface; more space between your extensions, your bookmarks; a softer, 'rounder' look to the omnibox.

(No, sorry; my bad, kiddiwinks. The 'new look' doesn't yet come as standard. It's known as the 'Material Design 'refresh''. If you want to try it out, go to chrome://flags. Enter 'material design' in the search box. When 'UI layout for the browser's top chrome' appears, from the drop-down box, select 'Refresh'. Then, re-launch Chrome from the prompt at the bottom of the page.

I've been using this for a couple of weeks so far, in the 'Beta' version. I understood it was coming by default in Chrome 68, but.....apparently, not just yet..! Personally, I'm in two minds about it; in all likelihood, I shall stay with the 'normal' Chrome look for as long as I can.)

I think this is comical. Mozilla, with Quantum, have finally created a Firefox more like Chrome than I would have believed possible, in terms of speed, performance, and outright reliability. So what do Google do? They throw away their unique identity and try to make themselves as much like the competition as they can.....

TBH, it's getting so I no longer care what browser I use; after being a staunch Chrome user for almost a decade, for my use-case, there is nothing to choose between them any more. I use Quantum as much as, sometimes more than, I do Chrome. And that's after giving FF the 'bum's rush' due to constant crashing when Chrome was released 10 years ago...

So what do y'all think of the new look? 'Thumbs-up'? 'Thumbs-down'? 'Whatever?' (And in case you've lost track of where the 'New Tab' button's got to, it's now skulking in the top-left corner..!)

Code:

There is no need to manually run this command any longer. A small script has been placed in /usr/sbin & sym-linked into /root/Startup, which will automatically run the compile command at boot time.

I just want, once again, to say a heartfelt 'Thank you' to those individuals who've helped to make these Chrome Puppy packages possible.

Credits go to:-

Battleshooter - for help with the self-contained NSS libs'n'stuff several releases back.
belham2 - for cobbling together the 'launch' script that is now employed.
And further back, 01Micko (the 'head honcho'), and iguleder - both of whom have indirectly helped keep this thread going for as long as it has, with references & links.

Thanks must also go to OscarTalks and peebee, for suggestions and assistance over the last couple of years.

---------------------------------

In many ways these packages are a joint effort. I absolutely refuse to take credit for the innovations by some of our true 'experts'.....only, perhaps, for actually putting everything together so it all works as you Puppians would expect.

Any issues, you know where to find me.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 29 Jul 2018, 20:04; edited 5 times in total
Page 15 of 16 [227 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: