X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pelo

XFmedia : what happens ? paroles does better ...

#46 Post by Pelo »

:evil: i Insert a different Puppy xfce in my computer to check XFmedia elsewhere.
Xslacko 3.1 is my choice for that (first casting of this XFCE)
Damned libav, i should have believed that Slacko had not same bad choice as Tahrpup..
Hum, it's quite clear we will be unable to run XFCE apps with Puppy XFCE... XFCE is not a nice desktop. If no XFCE apps available, I Will give up soon..
US go home, Me and Mistfire, that would have been a nice test..
Site parole here
"First off, of course mp3 and mp4 are generally supported by Parole, but you need the relevant gstreamer-plugins"
something missing, whatever you do !
RG66 complains : "Parole failed to compile with a bunch of perl errors that I couldn't sort out."
Attachments
chapelle.jpg
Bah !
(32.97 KiB) Downloaded 880 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 11:29, edited 5 times in total.

Robert123

#47 Post by Robert123 »

Libav you might be on the right track Pelo nice work.

Pelo

Slim Puppy will get fat soon

#48 Post by Pelo »

Slim Puppy will get fat soon , by adding there and there libs.

mistfire

#49 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo I knew about parole player. but according to rg66 it has too much dependencies but I will try the slitaz version of that player. I try to make the ISO file size as small as possible. I noticed that mostly web browsers and media players and framework contribute to the enlargement of puppies.

mistfire

#50 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo slitaz version of parole works on x-slacko.

Pelo

yes, you :D can.

#51 Post by Pelo »

yes, you :D can.
Old stuff ? I am sure people will be happy to use parole. I would be interested by your 'parole'
Parole has a special meaning in french.. (something promised is due) i check exact translation , for relax. Donner sa parole is 'to give his word'

mistfire

#52 Post by mistfire »

I currently testing the parole media player. It works better than xfmedia especially on playing HD mp4 videos.

mistfire

#53 Post by mistfire »

New iteration of x-slacko slim is released:

Changes:
* Parole player replaced xfmedia (xine-lib is now removed)
* Some fixes on sfs converter.
* Some changes on puppy remaster script.
* Add fail-safe feature on unapk script to avoid conversion of Android packages (which the file extension is the same as Alpine Linux)
* Automatic conversion of Slitaz, Tiny Core, Pardus, and Alpine Linux packages into pet packages when double-click.

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/chwcj ... 070816.iso

cthisbear

#54 Post by cthisbear »

Does this have...

UEFI support and boot with secure boot turned off.

In legacy BIOS mode.

Chris.

mistfire

#55 Post by mistfire »

@cthisbear for your concern, you may refer to X-slacko forum.

X-slacko works mostly on BIOS mode.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88846

@rg66 is the creator of x-slacko.

Robert123

#56 Post by Robert123 »

Downloading and will test for you Mistfire.:)

P.S. Machine: Dell D620
video: Doesn't boot straight to desktop have to use xorgwizard. Same as previous versions found intel driver through Xorg Wizard.
Sound: working as is Video playback. Previous MP4 problem gone. Nice job with Parole package.

Ram usuage with no apps open is 92meg ram Wow amazing for a XFCE system.

Nice work Mistfire - connects to web and every thing works no bugs noted.

Sailor Enceladus

#57 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Just tried the newest iso also. On Midori, m.facebook brought me to iphone.facebook instead, that works I guess - heh. I get a "Segmentation Fault" on boot, maybe I'll reboot to see what that was about (didn't happen in the 180MB iso). Some programs like Abiword and Gnumeric show up as already installed in Puppy Package Manager even though typing abiword or gnumeric in the Terminal didn't work, I guess you are still organizing .packages/builtin_files. I did get Hexchat from PPM to work though.

mistfire

#58 Post by mistfire »

@Sailor Enceladus the latest x-slacko slim boot nicely on real hardware. Remastering is done at virtual box. facebook mobile works well on midori

mistfire

#59 Post by mistfire »

Some programs like Abiword and Gnumeric show up as already installed in Puppy Package Manager even though typing abiword or gnumeric in the Terminal didn't work, I guess you are still organizing .packages/builtin_files. I did get Hexchat from PPM to work though.
@Sailor Enceladus that was the design flaw of puppy remaster script and remove builtin package script. I try to figure out how to remove that flaw.

cthisbear

#60 Post by cthisbear »

mistfire

" X-slacko works mostly on BIOS mode. "

Thanks.....Chris.

mistfire

#61 Post by mistfire »

New x-slacko slim iteration:

Changes:
* Full pup to pet conversion (app files inside PET packages instead of tarballs from pup)
* Wine ready. Just install wine and double-click the windows executable file to run Windows applications. It also works on MSI Installers, BAT, CMD, and COM, VBS, and REG file.
* Win Button is binded to whisker menu

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/td2cf ... 70816r.iso

Sailor Enceladus

#62 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mistfire, your newest iso is running well for me. I got my CPU back up to 1.86GHz atm (it is 'real hardware' - lol) and the depmod and loading network-drivers is a lot faster now. It turns out the "Segmentation Fault" was something silly about ddcprobe, I think I seen it in one version of LxPupSc also and was kernel related there, and I think puppy is getting rid of ddcprobe anyway so maybe it doesn't matter. The archive manager does not seem to be able to open zip files, at least the ones I tried, but just typing "unzip file.zip" in the terminal works. The wine integration is nice and the icons match well, and Thunar actually manages to run exes correctly that rely on data files that are located in the same directory (in Rox it seems to look in /root by default for them instead and fails, so I used Wine Explorer to click on them as a workaround), maybe that magic comes from the pre-wine script. Posted this message from inside Midori, which has a much more readable font on this forum than Opera 12.16 did.

edit: I forgot to mention, your browser history was still in midori when I opened it... googling pups to pets came up - heh.

Marv

#63 Post by Marv »

mistfire, This old XFCE fan just now got around to trying out your remaster of X-slacko. I manually installed it Grub4Dos frugal on my iwlwifi core 2 duo lapto to start. Congrats! It is a careful, thoughtful piece of work built on a solid base. Runs well in all aspects, the size and careful pruning of apps are both laudable as Office, CAD, and others are all available as SFSs. Midori imported my Opera bookmarks exported as HTML without a hitch and functions well as an inbuilt browser (once running I use shared portable browsers in all my pups). A great pup for those of us who run 'gracefully aged' machines. Alas I can't run it on my stable of Pentium M laptops where it would really shine because the 3.14.56 PAE kernel from X-slacko 4.1 doesn't have the forcepae patch enabled. In X-slacko 4.1 I swapped kernels but without a separate z_drv (I know that was discussed earlier in this thread) that is much harder here. Depending on how you remastered you might or might not have a list of what was in the trimmed z_drive. With that, I could back that out of the main SFS and have a go at swapping the kernel. With PeasyWiFi version 4.1 the dropouts in those Pentium M ipw2200 laptops is finally conquered without the bother of either static IP addresses or dropwait patches :D :D :D and that gives me new energy to keep them alive.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

quirkian2new

#64 Post by quirkian2new »

hello,
I noticed there is a description "With MTP client." at the beginning of the first post. Does it mean it can have my android phone "plug and play" and transfer my photos in android phone to PC with just a few clicks ? If this is so, it sounds very interesting. thanks

mistfire

#65 Post by mistfire »

quirkian2new wrote:hello,
I noticed there is a description "With MTP client." at the beginning of the first post. Does it mean it can have my android phone "plug and play" and transfer my photos in android phone to PC with just a few clicks ? If this is so, it sounds very interesting. thanks
--Yes it is. just plug your phone, run gMTP, and click connect. You can now transfer files between your phone and PC