X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
augras

#511 Post by augras »

Hi mistfire,
i just install your puppy, thanks for your work, and note that you use thunar with these networks capabilities.
I'm trying for a long time to get thunar with network capabilities to work but never win !
Can you explain me all i need to get it works ?
Thanks,
Philippe

Marv

#512 Post by Marv »

r42 install updated to r43 on the frugal Grub4Dos install to SSD on my core 2 duo laptop. Continuing to use the stock 4.10.2 kernel on the core 2 duo. No issues at all noted. I haven't gotten to the Pentium M yet. Could you expand a bit on the changes to initrd? Might make it easier to test.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#513 Post by mistfire »

augras wrote:Hi mistfire,
i just install your puppy, thanks for your work, and note that you use thunar with these networks capabilities.
I'm trying for a long time to get thunar with network capabilities to work but never win !
Can you explain me all i need to get it works ?
Thanks,
Philippe
well @rg66 (the original creator of x-slacko) can answer your questions about thunar.

mistfire

#514 Post by mistfire »

Marv wrote:r42 install updated to r43 on the frugal Grub4Dos install to SSD on my core 2 duo laptop. Continuing to use the stock 4.10.2 kernel on the core 2 duo. No issues at all noted. I haven't gotten to the Pentium M yet. Could you expand a bit on the changes to initrd? Might make it easier to test.

Thanks,
Here are the changes in initrd:
* Easier pupsave management and upgrade (dialog command is implemented)
* Bugs for humongous initrd is fixed.
* A bug where pupsave 2fs/3fs/4fs file was still mounted (that supposed to be unmounted) if the user declines to upgrade is fixed.

augras

#515 Post by augras »

Thanks mistfire, i will ask him.
Philippe

mistfire

#516 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Bugfix for ircp-tray startup
* Improved internet connection wizard
* With USB tethering support
* Touchscreen calibrator, Ram Cleaner, and Stay-Online is added
* More bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... nktcjZaaVE
MD5 Checksum: 4370d3e923ded6c1f4e85def412440f5

Pelo

Touchscreen calibrator ???

#517 Post by Pelo »

Touchscreen calibrator ??? any tester for that ? does that mean you can use X-Slacko with tablet ?

mistfire

#518 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo you can use touchscreen or tablet peripheral in X-Slacko Slim however its just an experimental. It does not guaranteed that it will work because I have no computer with a touchscreen. I noticed that the lxpup 4.10.2 kernel has touchscreen drivers. So I decided to add xorg driver for touchscreen and a touchscreen calibrator. But It does not affect the size of the puppy.

Pelo

Think about people where wireless is hard to join,

#519 Post by Pelo »

about people satisfaction our devs of course are working linked in their workshop. Think about people where wireless is hard to join, they bought a dongle for which a driver is needed and compiled for Puppy Linux (wlan1). That is much more important than PAE (useless IMO), bluetooh, and touchscree,.
My X-Slacko Slim running now is it the kernel 3.14.56. Wlan1 is inop. Wlan 0 is active just for a while. Simply use 3.14.55 I/O 3.14.56 would change my wworld, because driver is made available for Realtek 8192CU by rcrsn 51 in Puppy forum.
Thousands of people are concerned. I am sad that devs make life better to already rich people, but don't have in mind laptop owners. All the new kernels really don't bring anything for most of us.
One of reasons of great success for Puppy was to get old computers with XP continue their life, fast and easy With Puppy. Would Puppy nowadays changes its mind to deal only with bluetooth, wide screens and Tv , becoming unserviceable for its first 'customers' ? And unserviceable for Puppy makers themselves unless they buy new hardware ?
Attachments
antenne.jpeg
Poor passenger has no web without the accurate kernel
(8.4 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

Volhout

Slim pup

#520 Post by Volhout »

Mistfire,

Please continue your effort for slim x slacko. To be honest this puppy is the closest to puppy from earlier times. And small in size.
From your releases i understand you are not trying to create a new puppy, but are sharing whatever you are building for your personal needs. And that is great.
In fact it is one of the most vivid and inspiring developments on the forum.
Just look at the popularity of Barrys Easy linux. Hardly any activity. That was completely different in the Wary and Racy times.

Succes mistfire....keepp the good work.

rcrsn51

#521 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Pelo: Unfortunately, building a kernel has become a do-it-yourself procedure. So people want to churn out their own versions without considering how to provide extra drivers that are not included.

A better strategy for the community would be to build a small collection of reliable kernels that people can easily drop in using instructions like here.

mistfire

Re: Slim pup

#522 Post by mistfire »

Volhout wrote:Mistfire,

Please continue your effort for slim x slacko. To be honest this puppy is the closest to puppy from earlier times. And small in size.
From your releases i understand you are not trying to create a new puppy, but are sharing whatever you are building for your personal needs. And that is great.
In fact it is one of the most vivid and inspiring developments on the forum.
Just look at the popularity of Barrys Easy linux. Hardly any activity. That was completely different in the Wary and Racy times.

Succes mistfire....keepp the good work.
Thank you. Actually I want it to make SFS even more smaller. Im still searching an more lightweight browser but still complies SSL, HTML5, and AJAX. Also I'm still searching for a smaller media player and a smaller initrd.

Sage

#523 Post by Sage »

Volhout is right and so are you, misty - small and smaller is definitely on the right track. And so is rcrsn right. We cannot bug you to follow our personal prejudices and preferences, although suggestions might help you from time to time. The wider the utilisation the better, of course. Chasing a better, smaller browser is going to be a considerable challenge. Some developers have chosen to select a text browser or semi-text browser (Dillo) so that users can post-install a full-size one of their choice. However, that ends up with a larger overall package unless the preferred browser is reloaded every boot-up. Perhaps one solution would be an embedded command to install the preferred browser from the InterWeb at start-up without carrying the overhead in the .iso it would otherwise incur?

johnywhy

Re: Slim pup

#524 Post by johnywhy »

mistfire wrote:Im still searching an more lightweight browser but still complies SSL, HTML5, and AJAX.
hi mistfire

the browser benchmarks listed here might interest you.
Xombrero beat Chrome and Midori on some measures!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... f45ffeb2d9

cheers
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

Sage

#525 Post by Sage »

Not Xombie, apparently - follow this thread;
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/ ... #c_2763548
Yes, I used Arachne in DOS5, too...

Marv

#526 Post by Marv »

r43 updated to r44 on the core 2 duo laptop. No issues noted other than that I continue to carry the Intel ipw2200 and iwlwifi firmware in my savefile or add it into the resquashed main SFS.

A humble suggestion (I did it to force and test a true upgrade). You could clear it with rg66 but since your work is clearly labled as X-slacko Slim I don't think he'd object or that it would be confusing. I changed the distro version and drv names to 4.2.44 in DISTRO_SPECS in the initrd.gz and in /etc. That way a true update is made on the savefile when the version is updated.

I continue to run slimjet as my main browser, now using OscarTalks 13.0.8.0-tahr SFS. I like the look and feel and It hasn't failed on any of my sites to date. The extra libs needed in X-Slim are in a post of mine in this thread earlier.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Thu 30 Mar 2017 on X-Slacko Slim 4.2.44 Linux 4.10.2-lxpup-32-pae i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Pelo

building a kernel has become a do-it-yourself procedure

#527 Post by Pelo »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Pelo: Unfortunately, building a kernel has become a do-it-yourself procedure. So people want to churn out their own versions without considering how to provide extra drivers that are not included.

A better strategy for the community would be to build a small collection of reliable kernels that people can easily drop in using instructions like here.

The Puppy buider should provide its Puppy with appropriate driver for the kernel IMO. I regret that in the forum Puppy Linux is considered an OS for english and linux experts. Our Puppies are downloaded all around the world, by thousands. Don't ask people to compile anything. I cannot compile myself, and i am not te only one.
What we need is a lot of rcrsn51. First the puppy developers should think about to compile, before users. If our Puppy-builder unable to compile drivers, how could they ask to their passengers to do it ?
The challenge is to allow laptops really be laptops, with Puppy Linux running outside your home.
Attachments
pet.jpeg
Wireless, happiness.
(40.29 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 06:00, edited 3 times in total.

mistfire

#528 Post by mistfire »

@Volhout I will continue the X-Slacko Slim project as long I'm still online or I'm not busy on my work on everyday life. I'm just only a hobbyist I'm just doing this as a past time.

In case I cannot longer online. You and the community can continue or fork this project. I kept all my script changes and the modified files in a tarball (The download link was on the beginning of this thread). Also it has script on it if you want to create your own X-Slacko Slim from the pristine X-Slacko.

mistfire

#529 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
*Small tweaks only

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... XRMcFAydGs
MD5 Checksum: 06a0933755d3f400ce06d829d5e36903

deltacat

#530 Post by deltacat »

Hi

I'm a relatively new user of Puppy and have been trying several puplets on a couple of netbooks I own. I'm really more of a user rather than a programmer.

I'm running the latest X-slacko slim on my Acer Aspire one used to type this and it's running really nicely. One thing I like is the way it goes into suspend mode when I close the lid, which other puppy distros don't do.

The only slight issue I had was when I installed it frugally to my hard drive, it didn't give me the usual option to encrypt the system with a password. Is this by design or is something missing?