X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#586 Post by mistfire »

@Volhaut I always use wine package from slackware repo. I didnt try the wine SFS get. You may consult http://appdb.winehq.org to check app compatibility on wine

Volhout

tray save file right click

#587 Post by Volhout »

dear mistfire,

if I righclick on the save file ion in the tray it disappears. As far as I know it should bring up the dialog for save file enlargment. See attached.

Any idea how to fix this ?
Attachments
clipboard1.png
(10.31 KiB) Downloaded 511 times

Pelo

mistfire should easily repair it. It is not a No-Go item.

#588 Post by Pelo »

mistfire should easily repair it. It is not a No-Go item. With Puppy you can launch resizepup from the menu or in Usr/share/applications, and from the terminal too ( resizepfile.sh)
My idea, is to link it to the desktop
Screenshot :
Els 101 cadells de la meva gossera
Attachments
dalmatien.jpg
X-Slim 101st Puppy in my kennel (Catalan)
(83.64 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 09:40, edited 3 times in total.

mistfire

#589 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo, @Volhaut. The problem that you encounter is the xfce right-click issue. When you right click an item on the toolbar it will show a menu with very fast pace and selected the end portion of the context menu. Since Resize Storage has an exit menu at the end of the context. It will automatically clicks it and exit. A developers which have a knowledge in xfce can fix that. Im just in bash scripts. The best solution for that was right-click and hold then select.

zagreb999

hdd-hp-pavilion-win8.1-uefi

#590 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

how it can be installed
on hdd of hp pavilion win 8.1
uefi (8 gb ram)?
automatic boot.
with unetbootin?
win8.1 is deleted.
i use only linux.

thanks.

mistfire

#591 Post by mistfire »

@zagreb

1. Turn OFF secure boot on UEFI
2. Boot X-Slacko Slim
3. Mount EFI partition
4. Mount X-Slacko Slim live cd and mount efi.img
5. Put all efi contents from mounted efi.img to EFI partition (edit grub.cfg when needed)

6. Format the OS partition to ext4
7. Put the sfs, vmlinuz, grub.cfg, and initrd to ext4 partition (edit grub.cfg when needed)

8. Unmount all mounted images and partitions
9. Add efi file to uefi boot entry

mistfire

#592 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:

* Customized 4.12.8 lxpup kernel (compiled by myself). It has more kernel modules to support laptops and variety of hardware.

* Hibernation support (EXPERIMENTAL). It works nicely in both automatic and manual (by specifying resume=<swap partition> as kernel parameter on your bootloader.) You must have a swap partition which the size is the same or bigger than your RAM memory. Hibernation works in frugal (with saved session) and full installation. It does not work on pristine boot or multisession mode. WARNING: The hibernation needs more refinement and tweaks. Because it sometimes corrupts the mounted partitions. Use this feature at your own risk

* cbatticon replaces default battery icon.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2FRkt ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 4ebcca8d591ce5b1d6a92a484dd67c52

Pelo

Slim computers

#593 Post by Pelo »

:idea: battery icon, battery, wireless, and if all that stuff were useless for our forum subscribers ? it would give more place for indoor entertainment... chained to our chair and computer chained to the wall.... I manufacturers would sell laptop without batteries, for Linux world, that will allow more passengers to play Puppy. Puppy if free, of course, but laptops are expensive.
Don't care my message. Just an idea. For slim computers.
The reason of my dream is because my new battery still behind me. But it's winter season coming.. When spring back again perhaps i will change my opinion :)
Furthermore my battery icon gives full 100%, in fact it is full of its decreased capacity 0 mAh / 4400 mAh
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#594 Post by Sage »

r55: Uh? Am I missing something?
"Dumping last lines of /tmp/bootinit.log...
etc
etc
Dumping last lines of kernel log...
etc
etc
etc
etc
*** puppy_slacko_4.2.sfs not found
***Error is too critical, dropping to console...
etc"
I didn't bother to save debug, too busy

mistfire

#595 Post by mistfire »

@Sage did you put the main sfs file to a subfolder? If yes, specify the folder name using psubdir kernel parameter in your bootloader. Otherwise put the main sfs file on the root folder of the drive

Sage

#596 Post by Sage »

did you put the main sfs file to a subfolder
No - I didn't understand this part. I don't use laptops (see my previous), frequently I don't have an HD attached; my main use is for fast machine access, testing, diagnosis etc.
What exactly is the purpose of r55? r54 works just fine. Don't recommend listening to the the bleatings of every wannabe when you already have a very fine and functional product.

mistfire

#597 Post by mistfire »

@Sage it means that if you put puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs on this manner /<folder name>/puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs. If yes then specify the folder name on psubdir. for example if the puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs was in the folder named boot then put this parameter on your bootloader --> psubdir=boot

r55 is just a bugfix of r54. The only difference was the kernel versions between those version. If you want to stick to r54. That will be fine.

If sfs files was still not found you can still use the initrd of r54 and try to boot again.

By the way I have a goal to build a fully functional yet power efficient puppy. A puppy that can match windows functionality but small size and fast.

mistfire

#598 Post by mistfire »

TIP: if you set pfix=initrd on startup. It will show only a command prompt. Only initrd and vmlinuz are loaded. It was very usable for troubleshooting initrd.

Sage

#599 Post by Sage »

Thanks for explanation, misty. Suspect that few, if any, will bother with those manipulations. r54b is OK for now. Your goal sounds like a blockbuster - everyone will want it.

mistfire

#600 Post by mistfire »

@Sage I already considered called it r54b because I changed the kernel because I want to put a hibernation feature. However I realized that some scripts must be revised in order to support that. Even the initrd, init, and power management script must be revised. As a result it becomes some sort of overhaul so I have no choice but to name it r55 rather than r54b.

I hope that my ultimate goal reached.

Volhout

Maker Tools

#601 Post by Volhout »

mistfire,

I am not sure if this is of any use to you, but I packaged a set of development tools, that works on XSlacko Slim (tested on r54).

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111520

I have not tested r55, but will soon

Volhout

mistfire

#602 Post by mistfire »

@Volhaut that was nice.

Sage

#603 Post by Sage »

ultimate goal
Got a timescale in mind?

Volhout

Wine SFS

#604 Post by Volhout »

Dear mistfire,

Would it be too much to ask if you can provide a wine SFS tuned for Xslacko Slim including all dependencies.

I spend another evening in trying to combine the Xslacko-14.1 PET and dependencies in and SFS (using all kind of tools like tzx2pet and pet2sfs and petmaker, and failed to succeed. I do get sfs'es, but they simply do not work.

And I do not have the skills to turn this into a working system.

I would really appreciate it !

Volhout

mistfire

#605 Post by mistfire »

@Volhaut. the timescale might be long term. Creating wine sfs is a tough job but I will try my best to combine it all.