Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LateAdopter

#16 Post by LateAdopter »

howling_hound wrote: Here is a solution to consider. It requires modifying the options in ROX-Filer.
Thanks, that did it. Since background and Icon theme belong to JWM, I hadn't realised that the text belonged to Rox.

watchdog

#17 Post by watchdog »

I have tried it with my usual base install. All working well for my needs. Thanks.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: puppypc32096 Kernel: 3.18.7 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.5
           Distro: xenialpup64 7.0.7
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP 550 v: F.02
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3618 v: KBC Version 12.00
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: 68MVU Ver. F.02 date: 08/20/2008
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron 530 (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB speed: 1733 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GME/GLE GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Z-Star Micro Venus USB2.0 Camera driver: USB Audio
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.18.7
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection driver: e1000e
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:22:64:4a:70:62
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: b43-pci-bridge
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 00:21:00:5b:0a:06
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (86.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54251 size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 1.05GB used: 0.06GB (6%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 107 Uptime: 1:05 Memory: 364.9/986.3MB
           Client: Shell (urxvt) inxi: 2.2.14 

Billtoo

xenialpup64

#18 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 SSD, computer is a lenovo
desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 30 Jun 2016 on xenialpup64 7.0.7 Linux 4.6.3 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.45.18

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

I added applications with PPM (after applying the bugfix)
Downloaded and compiled the latest Nvidia prorietary driver.

No problems so far.
Thanks

EDIT: I updated Smplayer and Smtube, added Audacious-3.7.2.
Vlc plays movie DVDs well.
It's working well.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(77.31 KiB) Downloaded 2819 times
screenshot.jpg
(46.25 KiB) Downloaded 2858 times

Pelo

Linked to forum francophone,

#19 Post by Pelo »

Linked to forum francophone, for our colleague OUI, who refused to run 32 bits on its 64bits computer. Puppy Linux offers him Xenialpup64, he can trash his Ubuntu installation..
Ubuntu Xenial Xerus to be trashed :!:
It was a Christmas gift december 2015. This version was bêta.

I run audacious 3.7.2, on Xenialpup 32. Would i change for 64 bits version ? Xenialpup 64 downloading to my Puppy Collection... 300mb is not big when your RAM is 4GB as Mine.. A Long time ago, Cds were 700MB, now we can use Puppies Up to 2GB.
We only need a Puppy Linux media player able to read DVDs.

Pelo

first contact

#20 Post by Pelo »

desktop very garbled, but browser ok. Mouse with hesitations.
Desktop update slowly..
Diagnostic with 32 bits version was similar, but less important.
Everything is normal after five minutes.
Tested PPM : bino 3D downloaded well. Video avi ok (only left channel , because 2D). I Have no 3D movie at home for test.
Attachments
Marans.jpg
2D avi OK
(50.41 KiB) Downloaded 2778 times

Billtoo

xenialpup64

#21 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 hard drive, pc is a hp desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 1 Jul 2016 on xenialpup64 7.0.7 Linux 4.6.3 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 3200x900 pixels (846x237 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.0

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1800 3: @1700 MHz

Installed bugfix.
Installed applications with PPM.
Updated Smplayer/Smtube,added Audacious-3.7.2
Movie DVDs don't play properly with VLC, (jerky), they play properly
with Smplayer.

Vlc plays movie DVDs fine on my lenovo desktop which has the
proprietary Nvidia driver installed.

I installed a custom cursor with JWMDesk Manager, it's much easier to see now.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(38.36 KiB) Downloaded 2693 times

radky

#22 Post by radky »

Thanks to nilsonmorales for the nice oranchelo-pup and Sarai icon themes in xenialpup64. :)

One small issue: It seems the oranchelo-pup and Sarai icons do not display in the JWM menu of xenialpup64 (JWM 2.3.5). At least, not on my PC with integrated Intel video and vesa driver.

The included icons have png extensions but are mostly svg images. However, they will show in the menu of xenialpup64 after renaming the files without the '48' and changing the extension from png to svg.

For example: rename configuration48.png to configuration.svg

At least three menu icons in the Sarai theme are actually png images (folder48.png, home48.png and pc48.png). Possibly, they may require replacement with actual svg images for use in xenialpup64?

Thanks
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

oui

Re: xenialpup64

#23 Post by oui »

666philb wrote: this is the first stable-ish 64bit build. it's pretty huge though at nearly 300mb!
as I did explain it here, I don't see some real profit to install a lot of app's being not usual for the users...

what we urgently need in 64 bit are dotpets and dotsfs and not a lot of preinstalled software what are killing our time un-installing them because we have different needs...

a smart ISO without ballast would be better than an ISO with changes compared to old Puppy's. Palemoon for example did never become the new Puppy browser. The story is the same as opera bowser in the past. divers people did try to impose it to the community, the newest ISO of BK continue to include Seamonkey and I am happy on that (I would prefer Xombrero as it is more secure and works as good as Firefox, Seamonkey or Palemoon and is smarter! What? You find it not so smart at all, or not working well: Look pls at SliTaz, also with 64 bit kernel, and look how Xombrero looks after the second start!)

I don't like geany at all because you can't open two instances of the same doc (I am working on terrible long doc's: you absolutely need on them to have the view on two or more different parts of the same doc. bluefish can divide the view on the doc internal and, over this, allow more than one instance! why geany as standard it is not really better than leafpad?). I don't like abiword at all as the exchange of doc's with parents, friends and foreign person's are very difficult!

Why include those app's not really polyvalent, more, perhaps more a difficulty for the user as an help? since a very long time uses Puppy a format more to add / exchange app's, the dotsfs!

I propose you to create a list of 64 bit app's (or multi-architecture ones ready to use in 64 bit like XVidCap32 ready to use in 64 bit as it is not available any more in 64 bit) as a reference for all...

kind regards

Sailor Enceladus

Re: xenialpup64

#24 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

oui wrote:I don't like geany at all because you can't open two instances of the same doc (I am working on terrible long doc's: you absolutely need on them to have the view on two or more different parts of the same doc. bluefish can divide the view on the doc internal and, over this, allow more than one instance! why geany as standard it is not really better than leafpad?). I don't like abiword at all as the exchange of doc's with parents, friends and foreign person's are very difficult!
I agree, I just make leafpad the default for everything (it even has line numbers in Options). Geany also has this strange strategy of putting the error messages behind the window when you do a Find so it looks like the program is frozen/unusable until you minimize it and find the stray window. Never tried Xombrero, will check it out. :)

jlst

#25 Post by jlst »

I love geany, setting it as the default text editor was one of the right choices, whether i'm editing a shell script, a C/C++ file, config files, etc.. it just displays the right stuff.

I LOVE GEANY

Puppus Dogfellow

mirror for xenialpup64

#26 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mirror/thanks again for your work, 666philb!
oui wrote:I don't like geany at all because you can't open two instances of the same doc (I am working on terrible long doc's: you absolutely need on them to have the view on two or more different parts of the same doc. bluefish can divide the view on the doc internal and, over this, allow more than one instance! why geany as standard it is not really better than leafpad?). I don't like abiword at all as the exchange of doc's with parents, friends and foreign person's are very difficult!
I agree, I just make leafpad the default for everything (it even has line numbers in Options). Geany also has this strange strategy of putting the error messages behind the window when you do a Find so it looks like the program is frozen/unusable until you minimize it and find the stray window.

Never tried Xombrero, will check it out. :)
geany -i will open a new instance of geany (i've got geany and geany -i on my root1menu--you can open as many instances as you like) and window split is almost always a built-in plug-in, though you may have to enable it (check the tools menu--not on xenial64 at the moment, but from what i've seen, what i just wrote holds true for all geany-carrying 32 and 64bit pups).

hth

shot of geany opening two instances of the same document and splitting the view in each instance:
Attachments
geany--dub and and split.jpg
(104.04 KiB) Downloaded 718 times

Sailor Enceladus

#27 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

jlst wrote:I love geany, setting it as the default text editor was one of the right choices, whether i'm editing a shell script, a C/C++ file, config files, etc.. it just displays the right stuff.

I LOVE GEANY
Yeah, but the bugs.... THE BUGS

jlst

#28 Post by jlst »

I agree that VLC is not the best choice, but geany is. SMPlayer + mpv/mplayer is probably the way to go if we're using QT.

666philb

#29 Post by 666philb »

geany does have the split window plugin ... look in tools on the menu bar. the 'paste it ' plugin will also be added. I'll have a look at bluefish and see how it compares, but i do like geany and use it a lot.

xombrero is a browser that most people will hate :)
palemoon covers a lot of bases ... size & functionality wise... the only other valid option would be a chrome based browser with the widevine plugin. this would add extra size buy also extra functionality like Amazon video.

mplayer v vlc ... I'm really hesitant to go back to mplayer as i always end up with audio video sync problems however powerful the computer.

as it's early days for xenialpup64 for the next build I'll add some of these alternative options to see what people think and see how it works myself. xenialpup32bit will be sticking to its defaults though as it's nearer release.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Pelo

about included apps in Puppy.

#30 Post by Pelo »

about included apps in Puppy. Look what percentage of the distro occupied. It's no worth pain removing them as default. Remove built-in is easier for an old user fond of Linux than for a newbie to install. (oui msg) Puppy is a ready for use OS, for most of people. Professionnal apps will be loaded as SFS (Typists, photographs, cineasts,)
Geeks are eveywhere, the want a Pupppy for they own needs (experiments, often destructive :twisted: )
"mplayer v vlc ... I'm really hesitant to go back to mplayer" don't hesitate. Live was easier with Mplayer, lot of apps need it.
We need fun too, as Puppy passengers.
VLC can be loaded as SFS.
Geany is bigger than Mplayer Geeks prefer Geany than mPlayer, for their fun :!:
What about DVDs ? Slacko and tarhpup (Xenialpup) are unable to read chapters. Our children still use DVDs, at night.. DVDs and CDs are still nice gifts. Click with the mouse on the choosen chapter is Useless. Don't ask our children to type in terminal, i english, some Linux parameters. Unless Puppy Linux is a pet at home for old children, around fifty or sixty years old, playing or trying to be programers, in the cellar (while his wife, fond of mechanics,is dismantling the car in the garage).
Attachments
usrbin.jpg
in Red applications disk part used...
(53.15 KiB) Downloaded 2460 times

James C

#31 Post by James C »

666philb wrote:geany does have the split window plugin ... look in tools on the menu bar. the 'paste it ' plugin will also be added. I'll have a look at bluefish and see how it compares, but i do like geany and use it a lot.

xombrero is a browser that most people will hate :)
palemoon covers a lot of bases ... size & functionality wise... the only other valid option would be a chrome based browser with the widevine plugin. this would add extra size buy also extra functionality like Amazon video.

mplayer v vlc ... I'm really hesitant to go back to mplayer as i always end up with audio video sync problems however powerful the computer.

as it's early days for xenialpup64 for the next build I'll add some of these alternative options to see what people think and see how it works myself. xenialpup32bit will be sticking to its defaults though as it's nearer release.

For what its worth, I vote for Palemoon,Geany and VLC. :)

oui

#32 Post by oui »

Hi

I can understand that each one has the right to find this or that (geany, palemoon, vlc, abiword etc., this to name only the last app's appearing in the user answers) better for him... it is the little difference making working at PC more ... or less effective. ok!

but reallity is:

puppy 64 bit becomes an ISO being just under 300 MB in alpha (and perhaps more in stabil?)...

and some users have after that to spend and loose a lot of time to remove those absolutely not needing apps to re-install some traditionally also puppy typical app's like mplayer or seamonkey...

it is nonsens to impose some software excepted if they are really some under the most tiny ones (leafpad, didiwiki, jwm, mhwaveedit, ayttm, mtpaint etc.: they are under the most tiny app's available each as binary for 32 as well as for 64 bit at the official depositories of Ubuntu)!

alone because of the size of the ISO we make that a lot of users of old hardware can't have some interest any more for our puppy' s (distrowatch ranking...)

pls use dotsfs for all other goodies that you will use! what is more simple?

pls install an adult and not a baby remastering app (LazY remaster: you can easily adapt all file names, select or not to includes the load sfs modules, if you want or not split the main sfs etc)! start one time with you options palemoon/seamonkey/firefox/chrome geany/bluefish/nothing_more vlc/mplayer/xine/etc ayttm/skype/or_one_oft_the_million_other). if you are experimented with puppy you have 20..30 minutes after the first download of the alpha a complete remastered Puppy fully adapted to YOUR needs!

impose app's is silly dilly and contraproductive...

last comment to the alpha:

quitting puppy as to offer the default value "NO" save file and not save file "YES": it is a great ruthlessness of our developers, about all developers, to impose the save file! users playing with puppy and not interesting to save somewhat for example made under that alpha version have to change the default EACH reboot (users using the save system have to to that ONLY ONCE!) else if they do 100 reboot with the trial system! it is not serious really!

kind regards

PS: the first start of that version was bad - no text under the icones, no text in the menu, no text in the little message windows... I did already comment that error for the 32 bit version, and people did only laugh... but it is yet in the next :roll: because not taking in consideration in the 32 bit version... my solution:

- exit jwm (if you can! it is not easy without texts for newbies...)
- restart jwm with

Code: Select all

xwin jwm

in command line

- remaster (you have so or so to remaster to remove things like palemoon etc.!)

the problem seems to be definitively eliminated after that :wink:

LateAdopter

#33 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello 666philb

A suggestion for your DOTconfig:

CONFIG_X86_MSR=y (currently =m)

The reason is that MSR is the intended method for Intel PSTATE to control processors with hardware power management. Sandybridge onwards, I think. PSTATE will fall back to alternative methods if MSR is not available.
I have not previously checked whether it mattered, because I had to build kernels for my Braswell N3150 and they had it =y. I have now compared xenialpup64 with your 4.6.3 kernel and with my 4.4.4 kernel that I have been using with tahrpup64.

Testing my worst case test video on MPV with YADIF 2x in software.
With your kernel it clocks up to about 1970MHz, not maximum turbo, and drops 68 frames in 5 minutes, including a couple of noticeable skips.
With my 4.4.4 kernel it clocks up to 2070MHz and drops 26 frames with no skips.

The clock speeds were measured with turbostat.

EDIT:
For my kernels I used the fatdog 3.18.7 kernel DOTconfig with the MSR=y change. It did have some other Intel related differences from other Puppy kernels at the time, but I don't think they were significant..

EDIT 2
It looks like it's a kernel 4.6 regression. I just built 4.6.3 using the same DOTconfig as for 4.4.4 and it performs the same as your 4.6.3. So maybe MSR doesn't matter after all.

oui

#34 Post by oui »

James C wrote:For what its worth, I vote for Palemoon,Geany and VLC. :)
why are you so terribly enemy of dotsfs packages being better to preserve the freedom of users?

666philb

#35 Post by 666philb »

oui...

if i made xenial how you're asking, it would have no apps at all :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331