Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#466 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64 7.0.8.6

Quickpet testing

When the icon for Quickpet was first put on the desktop after installing the pet for Quickpet.
The Quickpet icon was over the bugfix icon.

From puppypin
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<pinboard>
<backdrop style="Stretched">/usr/share/backgrounds/default.png</backdrop>
<icon x="32" y="512" label="quickpet">/usr/share/applications/quickpet.desktop</icon>
<icon x="32" y="512" label="bugfix">/usr/share/applications/bugfix.desktop</icon>
<icon x="96" y="320" label="play">/usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer</icon>
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#467 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64 7.0.8.6

Quickpet testing

Used Quickpet>Drivers to download and install the Nvidia driver for my hardware.
Clicked on the Nvidia 380.
It downloaded the Nvidia 384.98 driver, which was the latest version recommended by Nvidia web site.
Downloaded, installed, rebooted, and loaded with no problems.
Very easy to do. :D

Driver usage report:
Puppy is a little hog on graphics card resources.
Puppy is using 37MB of graphic memory.
My Geforce GTX 970 has 4GB of memory. :lol: :shock: :roll: :D

What do you need 4GB of graphics memory for? :roll:
Oculus Rift VR!!!!!!
No :cry: It does not work on Puppy :cry: I wish :!:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lassar

Where does xenialpup64 store the alsa sound settings?

#468 Post by Lassar »

Where does xenialpup64 store the alsa volume levels.

I am sure it's probably in the etc folder somewhere, but I can't find it.

Lassar

Bug in Xenialpup64: ALSA audio not loud enought.

#469 Post by Lassar »

At first I thought that the volume I was getting from my old computer was maxed out.

But then, I install audio mixer on kodi & set master and front to 100%.

Exited kodi, and went to alsa setup and test audio.

The sound was about 4 times louder.

So somewhere in Xenialpup64 is a bug, that sets the sound incorrectly.

It does it on both my intel computer as well as on my old amd computer.

These two computers have completely different audio hardware.

rufwoof

Re: Bug in Xenialpup64: ALSA audio not loud enought.

#470 Post by rufwoof »

Lassar wrote:So somewhere in Xenialpup64 is a bug, that sets the sound incorrectly.
Some time back when I tried 7.0.8.5 I got a loud startling bleep type burst at startup. After that it seemed fine but as you say something amiss somewhere.

p310don

Nvidia

#471 Post by p310don »

I have tried to get my nvidia card to work using the proprietary driver to no avail.

Doing what I've done in the past with Tahr, unload nouveau, reboot and run nvidia.run file builds the driver ok-ish, but upon restart my keyboard & mouse won't work.

I found that if I unplug and replug them in, they work. But that has to happen every reboot. Plus, I don't think the driver was actually working.

I tried the quickpet nvidia drivers. Both of which install, come up with "restart now to use nvidia" or something to that effect. Both boot to a xvesa screen with low res and no acceleration.

All of the above were tested using a fresh save file.

p310don

Nvidia

#472 Post by p310don »

I have tried to get my nvidia card to work using the proprietary driver to no avail.

Doing what I've done in the past with Tahr, unload nouveau, reboot and run nvidia.run file builds the driver ok-ish, but upon restart my keyboard & mouse won't work.

I found that if I unplug and replug them in, they work. But that has to happen every reboot. Plus, I don't think the driver was actually working.

I tried the quickpet nvidia drivers. Both of which install, come up with "restart now to use nvidia" or something to that effect. Both boot to a xvesa screen with low res and no acceleration.

All of the above were tested using a fresh save file.

bigpup

#473 Post by bigpup »

p310don,
builds the driver ok-ish
Is this saying the driver was made with no errors reported at the end of the build?

What is the Nvidia hardware?
What exact driver did you first try to install?
What driver does the Nvidia web site say is the correct driver for your hardware?
Did you uninstall it using PPM(Puppy package manager) before trying to install a different driver?
Also, each time you tried to install a different driver. Did you first uninstall any previously installed driver?
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#474 Post by p310don »

Bigpup wrote
Is this saying the driver was made with no errors reported at the end of the build?
It spat out errors saying "cannot create symlink xxxx because the file already exists". It did about 10 of those. It seems that the driver builds ok, but doesn't install quite right.
What is the Nvidia hardware?
GT210 - I think, not at home atm.
What exact driver did you first try to install?
The recommended driver from nvidia's website - 340.1040
Did you uninstall it using PPM(Puppy package manager) before trying to install a different driver? Also, each time you tried to install a different driver. Did you first uninstall any previously installed driver?
No. I used a pristine save file every time I tried either building or installing it.

bigpup

#475 Post by bigpup »

It spat out errors saying "cannot create symlink xxxx because the file already exists". It did about 10 of those. It seems that the driver builds ok, but doesn't install quite right.
If you get any errors at the end of the Nvidia run package build, it probably did not get built correctly.

You may already be doing it this way, but just to make sure.
Here is how I do it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110611
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#476 Post by p310don »

Thanks Bigpup. The last line on your linked post about "do not save the x config" might be the clue. I'll try it again when I get home and see how it goes.

jamesbond

#477 Post by jamesbond »

p310don:
1. Assuming you run the latest 7.0.8.6 xenial64 (64-bit) pup.
2. Assuming you start from a fresh savefile (or pfix=ram).

0. Download NVIDIA-xxx tarball (I used 340.104 as per your example).
1. Load devx and kernel sources using sfs_load.
2. mkdir to Linux partition (or /tmp, if it ls large enough (you need at least 512MB free).
3. cd to that dir
4. Extract: "sh /path/to/where/you/downloaded/NVIDIA-*.run -x"
5. cd NVIDIA-*
6. ./nvidia-installer -a --ui=none --no-x-check --no-nouveau-check --compat32-libdir=lib32 -k 4.9.58
7, When it asks you whether to install 32-bit library, please respond with "no" (unless you really need it).
8. When it ask you to update x-config, say "no"
9. Manually disable nouveau (echo "blacklist nouveau" > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf
10. Exit to prompt
11. Run xorgwizard. Choose "set video driver". Set it to "nvidia".
12. Reboot

13. If you need that 32-bit library (for use with wine or whatever), edit /etc/ld.so.conf and append a new line at the end:
"/usr/lib32"
Then save the file, and run "ldconfig".

Good luck.

EDIT: Better, fully tested on real hardware step-by-step guide on the next few posts after this: here.
Last edited by jamesbond on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

p310don

#478 Post by p310don »

Followed bigpup's method. Everything went without a hitch, seemingly.

Xenial boots to a full screen, the nvidia x-server control centre works, BUT, running WINE, the game plays like molasses, so no acceleration. Tried to play a video, but now mpv doesn't start. Mpv in terminal gives me:
root# mpv
mpv: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
root#
so that's buggered up too.

James. I'll have to try your method, tomorrow after work.

rcrsn51

#479 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you using the 32bit version of the NVIDIA package?

bigpup

#480 Post by bigpup »

If the game is using OpenGL
nvidia x-server settings>OpenGL settings
Uncheck sync to vblank

OpenGl runs much faster not sync to vblank.
Big, big difference in FPS
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#481 Post by p310don »

Are you using the 32bit version of the NVIDIA package?
No. The .run file is the correct one. It compiles the 64bit driver.

rcrsn51

#482 Post by rcrsn51 »

When the installer asks about installing the OpenGL libs, you should say no.

p310don

#483 Post by p310don »

I have some success to report.

Using the getnvidia.pet method loads the nvidia driver, as well as creating a .pet and .sfs.

The loaded driver does not work, and gives me the errors mentioned previously. Rebooting with a vanilla save file, I blacklisted the nouveau module and then installed the nvidia-glx-340.104-k4.9.58.sfs file created by the installer. Reboot and voila. Something is working. glxgears works as it should as does mpv.

However, my game in wine is still terrible. I don't know how to measure FPS, but I can almost count them, it's that slow.

So I'm not sure now whether I have an nvidia driver problem, or a wine configuration problem.

Note, I have tried bigpup's suggestion of unticking sync to vblank. Makes no difference.

Is there a performance overhead of running 32bit wine with 32bit compatibility layer that would cause such a massive drop in performance? I'll try 64bit wine and see if that plays differently.

666philb

#484 Post by 666philb »

hi p310don,

the problem with installing the 340 driver is that if you choose to install the 32bit compatibility libs it overwrites the 64bit ones in /usr/lib. as it installs the main driver to /usr/lib64 however in xenial this is a symlink to /usr/lib newer nvidia drivers install the 32bit libs to /usr/lib/i386. this was why you were getting wrong elf class errors.

with getnvidia the .pet it produces might work but the .sfs probably won't although i don't think that getnvidia makes the 32bit libs.

the 340 driver in quicket is built against xenialpups release kernel which is slightly different from the one you are using, and the driver may work with the release iso. (coming soon)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

jamesbond

#485 Post by jamesbond »

666philb wrote:the problem with installing the 340 driver is that if you choose to install the 32bit compatibility libs it overwrites the 64bit ones in /usr/lib. as it installs the main driver to /usr/lib64 however in xenial this is a symlink to /usr/lib newer nvidia drivers install the 32bit libs to /usr/lib/i386. this was why you were getting wrong elf class errors.
Which is why in my manual method (a few posts before) I specified --compat32-libdir=lib32. This will tell the installer to install it in /usr/lib32; which you can then access by adding "/usr/lib32" to /etc/ld.so.conf.

wine may or may not be built with OpenGL support. You need to find glu32.dll.so inside the wine.sfs. If this file exists, your wine should be able to use the 32-bit libGL.so library, as above.
Is there a performance overhead of running 32bit wine with 32bit compatibility layer that would cause such a massive drop in performance?
No.
I'll try 64bit wine and see if that plays differently.
Don't bother unless the game you're trying to run is a 64-bit Windows program. 64-bit wine only runs Win64 apps; it doesn't run old Win32 apps. And AFAIK, it's still a bit on the rough side.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]