Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Jan 2018, 12:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 43 of 43 [633 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43
sindi

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2018, 14:41    Post subject: Re: Scrambled video on HP dv6500 (Slacko 63 Tahr 605 Xenial 75)  

[quote="sindi"].

On this laptop palemoon will not play youtube videos in lupu or Win7.
(It does in Firefox.) I click and nothing happens. On other laptops it plays but only at 360p.
[/quote]

The problem was a buggy 'cinema-look' add-on. Palemoon now plays youtube on here but I still prefer smtube, and the required latest version needs a newer puppy (or a lot of added libqt5 libraries not available in lupu ppm, libgst* and other libraries not found in lupu, and probably updates to others).

Should I be manually editing some config file for X to make the three newer linuxes work in X?
foxpup

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2018, 19:33    Post subject:  

Yoliano wrote:
In both cases, I encountered no problems with this method. But it seem's to me that, if xenialpup64 does not have the driver for the Radeon R5 graphics, booting from a USB-SSD will encounter the same problem as the CD.
I suspect that neither fatdog nor quirky have the amd driver and are using a generic driver. Try to check that in their system information tools or even in the xorg.conf file.
Bigpup tries also to get you booting xenialpup64 with a generic driver. Are you sure you add the boot parameters that bigpup gave in the right place? Maybe you are already at the prompt when you type them.
If you boot in uefi mode and not in legacy mode, you (probably) do not get the splash screen at F2 where you can add a line "puppy ..." with boot parameters. Instead you get 2 grub menus. In the second menu you have predefined boot options you can edit 'e'. That is where you can add extra boot parameters in the "kernel line", that is the line that starts with "linux". Add the code from bigpup at the end of the kernel line and press F10 to boot.
Code:
radeon.modeset=0

I also wonder: could there be a problem with the version of xorg for your graphic card? Xenialpup has xorg1.18, while fatdog and recent quirkies have xorg1.19 .

I think that the amd propriety driver, like the nvidia drivers, is kernel specific. To use the propriety driver you will have to build/compile yourself, which can be difficult, not painless. It is better to have the possibility to get to X, with a generic driver, if you want to do that.
You may find a link to the build package for the driver you would need here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux There are 3 R5 there; try to get more details about your graphic card(s) with lspci command in console (VGA controller and 3D controller/3D acceleration).
Hesse James

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:32    Post subject: Additional software for Xenial64  

Hello
I have started a thread where I would like to summarize additional software for Xenial64 which is not included in the quickpet or other repositories.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=980848#980848

Maybe others like to contribute too ?
Thank you.
Christian
Page 43 of 43 [633 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: