Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jss83

#676 Post by jss83 »

Works like a charm now. Thanks so much! :D

Edit: one more thing I noticed in Xenialpup different from Tahrpup, changing the icon theme does not changes the folder icons.

666philb

#677 Post by 666philb »

jss83 wrote:one more thing I noticed in Xenialpup different from Tahrpup, changing the icon theme does not changes the folder icons.
hi jss83,

in xenialpup, ROX uses the 'puppy standard' icon theme by 01micko
you can change this in ROX's options >>> Types >>> icon theme. and setting it to ROX for the folders to match the desktop theme.

(ROX options can be accessed by right clicking in an open window)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

jss83

#678 Post by jss83 »

bigpup

#679 Post by bigpup »

Keyboard layout problem that is not fixed by doing this:
There is a script in /startup/disabled called:

keyboardlayoutfix.

You just drag that to the startup directory.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113243

It is stated that this was not an issue in Tahrpup.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Gem1964

#680 Post by Gem1964 »

Hi,

I have an old Asus X552C laptop. It has only two usb connectors, so I prefer optical media instead of using usb flash drive. Just to spare usb connectors.

I booted Xenialpup64 7.5 from DVD+RW, made the custom-puppy-uefi.iso, burned it to DVD+RW (multisession) and installed some stuff like Chrome browser. While saving the session I noticed the warning message which said that laptop CD/DVD-drives are not suitable for saving the session.

I saved the session (or tried to) anyway.

Then, while booting the computer with that very DVD, booting hangs when it is "loading folder ...blah... from CD/DVD". Also, seems that there is no pup_save.2fs file in the DVD.

Does that mean that with my laptop DVD drive I cannot save the session and that's why the booting fails?

One more problem with my desktop computer (Asus P8P67 Deluxe). When I boot with Xenialpup64 DVD I end up to Xenialpup desktop OK, but my mouse or keyboard won't work at all. Keyboard is connected to usb connector and mouse is connected to ps/2 with adapter. There's nothing else to do but shut down the computer with hardware power button.

Both keyboard and mouse work nicely with bios setup and Windows 10. But not with Xenialpup64 or the new Bionic Beaver Puppy 18.05.

Changing bios setting USB Legacy to Auto or enabled won't help.

bigpup

#681 Post by bigpup »

message which said that laptop CD/DVD-drives are not suitable for saving the session.
If you get that message it may or may not write the save correctly to the CD/DVD disk.
made the custom-puppy-uefi.iso
What exactly did you do to make this?
Good chance something did not get done correctly.
while booting the computer with that very DVD, booting hangs when it is "loading folder ...blah... from CD/DVD". Also, seems that there is no pup_save.2fs file in the DVD.
If you are saving to the CD/DVD.
The save is a directory on the CD/DVD.
It will not be named pup_save.2fs.
The save directory will be given a name that is the date and time it was made.
Are you giving it some time to load the save?
What may seem like hanging up, may be time it is taking to load the save directory.
Does that mean that with my laptop DVD drive I cannot save the session and that's why the booting fails?
I assume you are trying to save to the CD/DVD disk.
Have to make sure the inside of the CD/DVD drive is clean and the read/write lens is clean.
You could have a save that got made to the CD/DVD, but it was not burned good.

You can always just make the save on the computers internal hard drive.
The Puppy CD/DVD booting is designed to look for saves on the computers hard drive.

Also when you burn the iso image to the CD/DVD.
Burn at a very low speed.
8X or less.
Less chance of something not getting burned to disk.
desktop computer (Asus P8P67 Deluxe). When I boot with Xenialpup64 DVD I end up to Xenialpup desktop OK, but my mouse or keyboard won't work at all. Keyboard is connected to usb connector and mouse is connected to ps/2 with adapter.

Try a different USB port for keyboard.
mouse is connected to ps/2 with adapter.
so, is it a USB mouse?
If yes.
Use USB port.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Gem1964

#682 Post by Gem1964 »

Thanks for your reply, bigpup!
bigpup wrote:
message which said that laptop CD/DVD-drives are not suitable for saving the session.
If you get that message it may or may not write the save correctly to the CD/DVD disk.
Yes. I understand that. That's why I tried to test saving session with my desktop computer with normal Bluray burner. But that didn't work either, because of the usb problems I mentioned earlier.
bigpup wrote:
made the custom-puppy-uefi.iso
What exactly did you do to make this?
Good chance something did not get done correctly.
I don't remember exactly, but I just read the instructions and did what I was told. :)
bigpup wrote:
while booting the computer with that very DVD, booting hangs when it is "loading folder ...blah... from CD/DVD". Also, seems that there is no pup_save.2fs file in the DVD.
The save directory will be given a name that is the date and time it was made.
Are you giving it some time to load the save?
What may seem like hanging up, may be time it is taking to load the save directory.
I waited for 13 minutes. Meanwhile the screen went black (or kinda gray), as if a screen saver had kicked in? When I pressed some button the loading screen came back. And it was still loading (there was no green "done" yet). Maybe it was still loading my session, but 13 minutes is kinda long time anyway, and I ran out of patience. So, I think maybe it is better to use usb flash drive.

And actually there are two directories in the DVD+RW (named by date and time) because I saved the session two different times before powerin down the puppy after making some custom installs etc. And puppy is trying to load stuff out of one of those directories while booting.

Maybe I try once again and wait for an hour or so... :lol:

linuxcbon

#683 Post by linuxcbon »

xenialpup64 version 7.5
- in package manager, it says pulseaudio is installed, but it is not installed or even configured.

Code: Select all

root# pulseaudio
bash: pulseaudio: command not found

bigpup

#684 Post by bigpup »

In Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
What exactly did you download and install for Pulseaudio??
What is the specific name ???

Did you do the download after you did a PPM>Configure>Update database?
YaPI(any iso installer)

linuxcbon

#685 Post by linuxcbon »

bigpup wrote:In Puppy Package Manager(PPM)

I installed nothing, it's displayed as installed by default, but it is not.

lcpuppy

Xenialpup64 7.5 apache2 install

#686 Post by lcpuppy »

After installing apache2 in Xenialpup64 7.5, using Puppy Package Manager, the "/etc/apache2/mods-enabled" directory is empty, similarly the "/etc/apache2/conf-enabled" directory. In contrast, when installing Ubuntu 16.04.4, the 'mods-enabled' and 'conf-enabled' directories seem to have been intialized by the install script, and apache2 starts cleanly at the end of the installation. Can Xenialpup 64 7.5 be persuaded to initialize the apache directories during installation in a similar manner ??
A capture of the terminal install verbiage is attached. You can see the apache2 modules being enabled towards the end.
Attachments
puppy_cap_1.gz
Capture of terminal verbiage for Ubuntu 16.04.4 terminal command "apt-get install apache2".
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

rockedge

#687 Post by rockedge »

I have set up hundreds of Apache servers on Puppy Linux. Xenial runs a LAMP server very well.
I always select ALL in /etc/apache2/conf-avialable and SYM-LINK them in conf-enabled.
This I also must do to /etc/apache2/mods-avialable. With the mods be sure to disable mpm-worker and mpm-events by removing the symlinks in mods-enabled.

be sure to also enable the sites config in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled.

look up the utility a2enmod and a2dismod ...I just manually create the needed symlinks.... on Ubuntu the install does do some of these tasks in Puppy Linux I have only found the manual way to work 100%

bigpup

#688 Post by bigpup »

linuxcbon wrote:
bigpup wrote:In Puppy Package Manager(PPM)

I installed nothing, it's displayed as installed by default, but it is not.
If you do a search for pulseaudio in PPM.
It will show some parts of pulseaudio installed, but it is not the complete pulseaudio.
Is that what you are talking about?
YaPI(any iso installer)

linuxcbon

#689 Post by linuxcbon »

bigpup wrote:If you do a search for pulseaudio in PPM.
It will show some parts of pulseaudio installed, but it is not the complete pulseaudio.
Is that what you are talking about?
No. It's not "parts", it says it's installed, but it is not.

watchdog

#690 Post by watchdog »

linuxcbon wrote:xenialpup64 version 7.5
- in package manager, it says pulseaudio is installed, but it is not installed or even configured.

root# pulseaudio
bash: pulseaudio: command not found
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 004#957004

I do not recommend using pulseaudio in puppy but I did some experiments.

linuxcbon

#691 Post by linuxcbon »

watchdog wrote:I do not recommend using pulseaudio in puppy but I did some experiments.
I didn't talk about how to use it or how to install it, or if it is recommended or not. I talk about a bug, that's all.

watchdog

#692 Post by watchdog »

linuxcbon wrote: I didn't talk about how to use it or how to install it, or if it is recommended or not. I talk about a bug, that's all.
I do not think it's a bug: puppy does not use pulseaudio but some libs (example libpulse) are required so PPM declares pulseaudio installed but it's not the full pulseaudio: only what makes puppy working with alsa.

linuxcbon

#693 Post by linuxcbon »

watchdog wrote:I do not think it's a bug: puppy does not use pulseaudio but some libs (example libpulse) are required so PPM declares pulseaudio installed but it's not the full pulseaudio: only what makes puppy working with alsa.
It's a bug because pulseaudio is declared as installed.

lcpuppy

apache server

#694 Post by lcpuppy »

rockedge wrote:I have set up hundreds of Apache servers on Puppy Linux. Xenial runs a LAMP server very well.
I always select ALL in /etc/apache2/conf-avialable and SYM-LINK them in conf-enabled.
This I also must do to /etc/apache2/mods-avialable. With the mods be sure to disable mpm-worker and mpm-events by removing the symlinks in mods-enabled.

be sure to also enable the sites config in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled.

look up the utility a2enmod and a2dismod ...I just manually create the needed symlinks.... on Ubuntu the install does do some of these tasks in Puppy Linux I have only found the manual way to work 100%
Rockedge, Thank You for the feedback. That gives me the lay-of-the-land.

linuxcbon

#695 Post by linuxcbon »

Xenialpup64 7.5

I installed steam from quickpet -- fun , and it says :

root# steam
Setting up Steam content in /root/.local/share/Steam
  File "/usr/bin/steamdeps", line 367

^
SyntaxError: EOF while scanning triple-quoted string literal
Running Steam on puppy_xenialpup64 7.5 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libstdc++.so.6
/root/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
/root/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 444: no match: ssfn*
I installed 32 bit compatibility libraries sfs and then I got the same error.
What did I miss ?

----

OK I solved it by running

#ldconfig
after loading the sfs libraries.