Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#736 Post by bigpup »

linuxcbon,
Have you done Quickpet>Xenialpup updates?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

linuxcbon

#737 Post by linuxcbon »

bigpup wrote:linuxcbon,
Have you done Quickpet>Xenialpup updates?
yes of course.
Those 2 icons dont keep the menu when right clicking. You need to keep the mouse button pressed.

Moat

#738 Post by Moat »

@linuxcbon - maybe try a different mouse...? Sometimes old mice switch contacts become a bit "dirty", and releasing the button can actually register as a second "click" (especially in JWM, which has far too short of a mouse click event delay IMHO - possibly tweakable in a setting somewhere?).

Bob

linuxcbon

#739 Post by linuxcbon »

Moat wrote:@linuxcbon - maybe try a different mouse...? Sometimes old mice switch contacts become a bit "dirty", and releasing the button can actually register as a second "click" (especially in JWM, which has far too short of a mouse click event delay IMHO - possibly tweakable in a setting somewhere?).

Bob
I tried 2 different mouses and same result.
Can you try this : install xenialpup64, update it. And short right click each icon situated in the right bottom side, and tell us how they behave. Short right click.

roadkill13

#740 Post by roadkill13 »

yes of course.
Those 2 icons dont keep the menu when right clicking. You need to keep the mouse button pressed.
Not so on my setup. I can release the mouse button and the context menu remains "up". I wonder why the difference between your experience and mine.

linuxcbon

#741 Post by linuxcbon »

roadkill13 wrote:Not so on my setup. I can release the mouse button and the context menu remains "up". I wonder why the difference between your experience and mine.
the only difference I have is when I start, I choose french language and french keyboard.

mikeslr

opera on Xenialpup64 = upgrade to 7.5 recommended

#742 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

You'll notice that my results in installing Opera on Xenialpup64 differed from those of 666philb. See this post and the following, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 69#1007669

By the time Xenialpup64-7.5 was published I had extensively "flashed out" my Xenialpup64-7.0.8.6 and didn't feel there was any reason to "upgrade". It is now evident that 7.5 includes substantial improvements. After copying the the script /usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh from 7.5 to 7.0.8.6, I was able to obtain a functional opera on that system. The improvements in hacks-postinstall.sh may not be the only one. So, I've 'bitten the bullet' and am now in the process of rebuilding my Xenialpup64 system, based on Xenialpup 7.5.

linuxcbon

#743 Post by linuxcbon »

Xenialpup64 CE 7.5
run ppm
click the "configure" button

Code: Select all

/usr/local/petget/configure.sh: line 190: /var/local/petget/ui_choice: No such file or directory

roadkill13

#744 Post by roadkill13 »

the only difference I have is when I start, I choose french language and french keyboard.
Ah...

Mike Walsh

#745 Post by Mike Walsh »

WeX 0.8.18 'all-in-one' screencaster for Xenialpup64.

Morning, all.

A 64-bit, 'all-in-one' version of Will McEwan's WeX screencaster (with Weav post-processor, and Will's 'scrox' fork of 'scrot') is now available.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 99#1009799

Make sure to update the PPM, and install the newest 'ffmpeg' stuff first. Also, check to see if libgiblib1 is installed, as this is required. If not, plug 'giblib' in to the PPM search box, and install the result. (If needed, this should pull in libImlib2 as well.)

Have fun.

Mike. :wink:

HiDeHo

apps

#746 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi was trying to install vlc from the ubutnu repos. there is no gtk front-end so vlc works only in terminal which is not practical. reading here that vlc is not the best app in xenialpup 64. Now i need a small fast easy full media manager for my music files mainly mp3 format. Pmusic is not included in this install as a default option. why it was great app.

watchdog

#747 Post by watchdog »

In the following rep there is a vlc-2.2.4 which should work in xenialpup64:

http://www.smokey01.com/Bill2/

666philb

Re: apps

#748 Post by 666philb »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi was trying to install vlc from the ubutnu repos. there is no gtk front-end so vlc works only in terminal which is not practical. reading here that vlc is not the best app in xenialpup 64. Now i need a small fast easy full media manager for my music files mainly mp3 format. Pmusic is not included in this install as a default option. why it was great app.
hi HiDeHo deadbeef is the music player in xenialpup, for a quick music manager try gogglesmm from quickpet
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mikeslr

Re: apps

#749 Post by mikeslr »

HiDeHo wrote: Pmusic is not included in this install as a default option. why it was great app.
Pmusic is available via Puppy Package Manager.

don570

#750 Post by don570 »

I was able to use BarryK version of dropbear for SSH replacement.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 40#1010785

Ledster

googleearth

#751 Post by Ledster »

Tried this in xenialpup64 and bionicpup64_7.9.6 with same problem in both.

Brief computer spec:
Mesh - about 6 years old
i5 quad core 2.166GHz
ASUS P7P55 LX mobo
4 Gb DDR3 memory
ATI Radeon HD5750 graphics with 1 Gb memory
1 Tb SATA hard drive

Both running frugal with save file.

Downloaded googleearth from quickpet, installed and it runs ok.
However I'd prefer to run it as an sfs (keep the pupsave file small and tidy) So;
right click and choose 'extract pet' or pet2tgz and tar xvzf in xenialpup64
right click and choose 'dir2sfs'
go to SFS-load-on-the-fly and select to load it and get the following:

error - fatal: failed to mount......
google-earth-pro-stable_7.1.8.3036-r0_amd64_7.9.6.sfs file has wrong permissions
'drwx------'

First it's a file, not a directory (as the 'd' in 'drwx------' indicates)
Second if I run 'ls -l google-earth-pro-stable_7.1.8.3036-r0_amd64_7.9.6.sfs'
I get '-rw-r--r--'
which is the same as other sfs's that load and run with no problems.

Any idea what's going on?. I have no idea - my brain cell can't cope!
Attachments
capture16672.png
screen capture of failure
(11.19 KiB) Downloaded 915 times

mikeslr

#752 Post by mikeslr »

No idea why you've gotten a permission error. Rather than going nuts:

Unload you're google-earth. Try this one: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 878#962878

File/Folder > same difference. In Linux a folder is just a specialized file. So the notice was correct, just missing a word or two for the 'sake of brevity' and 'easy reading'.

Ledster

googleearth

#753 Post by Ledster »

Thanks for the suggestion mikeslr - no joy.

loaded Google_Earth_Pro-7.3.0.3830-tahr-amd64.sfs - menu entry does nothing.

Open a terminal and:-

root# /usr/bin/google-earth-pro
/usr/bin/google-earth-pro: line 43: ./googleearth-bin: No such file or directory
root#

go to /opt/google/earth/pro/
right click on googleearth-bin and choose 'run in terminal' :-

/tmp/runinterminal-20732: line 3: /opt/google/earth/pro/googleearth-bin: No such file or directory
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.

I can SEE it! but it also appears not to exist.

Now I'm really confused!

Mike Walsh

#754 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Ledster.

Well, Mike is of course right; everything in Linux is a 'file'......even directories! (Yah, I know it can overload your brain cell, but bear with us....) :D

Put me right on this one, will ya? Your screenshot shows you've been running the Bionicpup version; do I take it you downloaded this for Bionicpup, then decided to try it in Xenialpup, too?

I generally find that anything made for Tahr (like the SFS Mike's linked you to) will usually run OK in Xenial. Not so for Bionicpup (well, not to the same extent, anyway). Canonical decided to make some pretty major changes in the way Ubuntu handles stuff; personally, I haven't been able to make Google Earth run in Bionicpup at all, regardless of the version I try.

Every time I try to start it from the terminal, it'll invariably display a message something along the lines of

"Google Earth has caught Signal 11.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Google Earth has crashed.
This is a bug in the program, and should never happen under normal
circumstances. A bug report and debugging data have been written
to this text file:

/root/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-xxxxxxxxx.txt

Please include this file if you submit a bug report to Google."

------------------------------------------------------------

I've just done some more digging on the subject, and this Google Product Groups forum thread seems to be the most promising lead so far; it hinges around permissions - apparently Google Earth attempts to own the whole of /usr/bin.....?!!?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... 5uH01RFGP0

(You'll have to copy/paste that; the forum won't parse it, for some reason. I suspect the '!#' in the middle is chucking a spanner in the works...)

Sounds to be related to the old saga of how CUPS always used to go tits-up after installing Chrome from a .deb file. Which is to do with the .deb being built for Debian/Ubuntu, which are true multi-user systems......which Pup is not!

It looks like the solution hinges around running

Code: Select all

chmod 777
on the G.Earth .bin file (although the way the packages work in Puppy, the G.Earth entry in /usr/bin is merely a sym-link to /opt/google/earth/pro/googleearth-pro. This then starts the 'googleearth-bin' file proper in the G.Earth directory...)

(Although having said that, it doesn't make sense. I'm in Xenialpup64 ATM, and the 'googleearth-bin' executable is in fact running with '755' permissions Hmm; interesting.... This bears closer examination, I think.)

Mike. :wink:

Ledster

google earth

#755 Post by Ledster »

FYI
I downloaded the pet from xenialpup64's quickpet and as I said the pet loads ok and works.

Change the pet to sfs and run it in a fresh xenialpup save file and all the above happens.

Looks like I'll just have to use the pet.

@Mike
Got some other things to do right now - will follow up your links for interest later.

Cheers