Is my Tahrpup installation complete?

Booting, installing, newbie
Abdo Alrhman Aiman

Is my Tahrpup installation complete?

#1 Post by Abdo Alrhman Aiman »

Hi,

I've just installed tahrpup 6.0.5, but I'm missing Omso (personal organizer) which worked from the CD but disappeared after installation. Nothing happens when I click "plan" icon from the desktop.
Also when i open "mo manger" (utility >> MoManger create non-English puppy) it says that I'm missing some libraries! (xgettext - msginit - msgfmt - msgnufmt)

am I the only one who's missing osmo and mo manger? Is my installation complete or should I re-do it?

peace.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Is Osmo supposed to be included in the installation.
Is it an option you needed to tick?
Is anything stopping you adding it?

I don't know since I only use Lucid.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Abdo Alrhman Aiman

#3 Post by Abdo Alrhman Aiman »

Hi,

no, I'm sure omso was supposed to be installed automatically without ticking any checkbox, it existed when i used to LiveCD, and i ran it & used it, but now after the installation it disappeared! or maybe it exists but the desktop launcher is broken??

anyway, what about MoManger?

please notice that when using the full installation instead of the frugal installation, the system wouldn't boot, it kept restarting, and I had to reinstall it using the Frugal so I can boot!

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

'Frugal' installations are far more common in Puppyland, since they're a lot more versatile, and infinitely easier to 'fix' when they go wrong.

'Full' installs are not that common; some people swear by them, but I have a sneaking suspicion that's because they think a frugal install is a bit of a cop-out; that it's for people who can't be bothered to put some work in and do things 'properly'..! :roll:

And many 'noobs' also think that the 'frugal' install must be a cheap, 'poor man's' version, and they'd rather use the real thing.....so they go for the 'full' install. But since not many Puppians use the 'full' install, you won't get that many people able to help with advice when you get a problem.

Re: the missing Osmo. Sounds like a bad download. It's not uncommon; with something like an operating system, the slightest missing few bytes (or whatever) is far more critical than the majority of other things you can download.

Swings & roundabouts..... Just re-download, and then do a re-install; it doesn't take more than a few minutes, and besides; it'll give you a wee bit more practice in how the Puppy Universal Installer works! Which is not, in itself, such a bad thing.

Mike. :wink:

Abdo Alrhman Aiman

#5 Post by Abdo Alrhman Aiman »

Hi,

many thanks for your help, I actually did thought that the frugal was a cheap version or some like that, but it won't matter because the full installation refused to boot and I had to use the frugal anyways :)

as for the "bad download" thing, i checked the md5sum, it matched! know that Omso existed in the LiveCD, and is functional!! but it disappears after installation, probably because I'm using the most crappy laptop EVER, it's a made-in-china insanely cheap laptop, it does the weirdest things ever, as if it were a hunted house :) perhaps the missing omso is one of those things, i will install it again soon once i get my new laptop.

by the way, they should provide SHA sum instead of Md5, it's far more accurate.

Sailor Enceladus

#6 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I think md5 is more universal though. I can just type "md5sum file" in terminal heh. Seems long enough

What is the make and model of your laptop? I'm curious. Mine is probably worth $20 US but I like it! :lol:
Last edited by Sailor Enceladus on Fri 01 Jul 2016, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

You need to make sure the location you are installing to has a good file system, not corrupted and not fragmented.

Can check the file system by running Gparted from the liveCD.
To use Gparted:
Boot with the Puppy live CD
At the Puppy boot screen hit F2 key.
Use the boot option puppy pfix=ram.
This keeps the hard drive from being mounted.
Hard drive can not be mounted for Gparted to work.

In Gparted
right click on a partition
Select check
If it finds anything wrong it will correct.

If you have more than one partition on hard drive
run a check on all of them.

If the location is formatted in a Windows format fat32, ntfs, you can use Windows chkdsk and defrag.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

I was going to add that you should always use the same OS to modify/check partitions as that used to create them.
There shouldn't be a problem if you don't but there will always be quirks that each OS creates.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Abdo Alrhman Aiman

#9 Post by Abdo Alrhman Aiman »

Hi,

thanks bigpup, I should have done that before the installation, will do it using same OS that created the partition as burn_it suggested :)

Sailor Enceladus:
my laptop's BIOS says: phoenix technologies i think, while the trademark printed on the laptop says: bluedot

1024 ram, 1,73 intel core duo CPU, a 74 GB hard disk, and a cam that doesn't work :) apparently the hard disk is filled with bad sectors, and the clock's battery needs to be changed which is causing a lot of troubles for me, I'm buying a second hand Toshiba one in 5 weeks.