actual puppy projects

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#16 Post by smokey01 »

I believe the main reason Puppy has declined in the distrowatch rankings is simply because now there are too many choices of puplets. Years ago there was only the official pup and maybe a few remasters. Now with all the new tools anyone can make their own distro and give it a different name which is unlikely to show up on distrowatch. It can take years to have your distro announced there. If all puppy variants were counted as one, puppy would be back around 10th place or maybe even higher.

greengeek

Re: Clearly a Puppy must be checked before release

#17 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:I...have been steadily plodding away, working (mainly in C) on a new audio/visual X screen capture program (almost ready with the alpha version actually), which may 'hopefully' be as flexible as xcap or even SSR (but not require qt).
Very keen to help test this when you are ready. I use pretty much only Slacko 5.6 but If my feedback can help I'm keen. There is still much of your earlier work I hope to get more familiar with regarding TTS and STT but there's never enough time in the day to go back through the old threads. Sometimes I wish development would just STOP for a while so we can finish testing the old stuff thoroughly :-)
In reality, there are of course plenty of better programs than I (at least) could ever write, or even think of, already out there in the big repos anyway. Maybe that is why Puppy seems to have moved away from much in the way of new "Putils"-making, preferring instead to draw on bigger distribution woofing, which hopefully gives all us 'customers' all we need or want.
True, but some of us still want to avoid bloat and also want to avoid riding the coattails of impenetrable code. I certainly learn much more from inspecting simple code that aims to complete a task without frills and without unwanted features.
Or maybe there are just as many Puppy-written utils being produced and I just haven't noticed, but for me, such utils (and 'trying' to write them) were as much to do with what Puppy was about as anything, whether 'customers' used them or not.
Amen to that. Please keep writing. Perfecting trim code to achieve specific features and functionality is still hugely important in these days of 64bit hardware and massive RAM. That's how I feel anyway.

learnhow2code

#18 Post by learnhow2code »

starhawk wrote:@ Pelo -- you should perhaps call yourself "chronic malcontent".
you know, ive been on both sides of the puppylove coin, and i reached a point where i was tired of trying to keep up with it. b*tching really honestly seemed like the solution at the time.

what it finally achieved was convincing myself (and no one else of course) to try other things. puppy, i was sure, would quickly slide downhill and the best thing one could do was try to save/fork it, something.

however, it has held together pretty well. its recognizable, 10 years later, and some things have even improved (one would hope! thats not always the way though.) the moral of the story (imo) isnt a prescriptive "stop your whining" but a constructive "figure out what you are longing for, and seek it."

at the time that didnt help me, as i figured there were no alternatives worth looking for. thats the nature of a rut, i suppose. but i did find things, eventually. 10 years later, only one non-puppy distro (refracta) reminds me of the fun i had using puppy live; and its relatively new. in between, i tried the sugar platform, debian, and learned python.
Last edited by learnhow2code on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

But all he does is bitch...!

If he'd actually contribute something other than grumble grumble grumble, there'd be a point.

learnhow2code

#20 Post by learnhow2code »

starhawk wrote:But all he does is bitch...!
i got that (at least, i got that its your opinion, and im not familiar enough to counter it.) and what i was saying was, thats sort of the first step. its kind of a loop, where doing it makes you do it. to break out, something has to grab you and make you go "oh..." hopefully he will find that soon. i said what i said in hopes of reassuring/inspiring you both (and it may take a while.)

Pelo

see topic XenialDOG. Wireless is working for Me

#21 Post by Pelo »

wireless with Xenialdog, see topic XenialDOG. Wireless is working for me. Yes i am a grump ! because you cannot post in XenialDog to describe new applications offered to Puppy users By XenialDog.
Forum is a repair station now, unable to go the step forward, how to use Puppy, what to do with it, apart from repairs.

Newbies, not interested by repairs, believe Puppy is always working bad.

mcewanw

#22 Post by mcewanw »

The work grumbled about is actually about development (with but occasional repair or tuning as part of that part of the development process). Without that, there are no vehicles, and the self-called 'passenger' should walk and grumble-off using his own feet to his cave; otherwise he should build or buy a vehicle for himself (such as that provided by non-free producers such as Microsoft).

'Passenger' is an unfortunate term to use in that it conjures up the image of some kind of 'Parasite' hitching a free ride on the back of some body, and not, in this case, caring if that system body becomes old and falls apart. I doubt that was the 'philosophy' the founders of the open-source movement intended, since a universal adoption of the grumbling 'passenger' philosophy would surely spell the end of the open-source movement altogether (or at least greatly shrink the number of its active contributors).
github mcewanw

learnhow2code

#23 Post by learnhow2code »

"where do you want to go today?" asks microsoft

"wherever we drag you along to, of course."

on a bad day, everyone gets out to push.

on a good day, the ride is smooth. with microsoft, you just sit there and wait for a tow, because thats your only option.

apple users dont need to go anywhere. they are happy to look at their navels for years, or just enjoy their wallpaper. its already perfect! no need to set it to something else.

Pelo

We have to many devs, only devs (students) !

#24 Post by Pelo »

We have to many devs, only devs (students) ! With puppy your are root of course, we don't forget some people satisfy being users , wondering only to get music, edit photo, or type their mail. Which kernel ? They ignore, like drivers ignore the Model of they car engine.
Why am i unhappy ? I am like wives having bought a brand new car and never their husband drives them outside, The car always being disabled for permanent overhaul. You could even sale the wheels !
Because the husband like mechanics ... But people searching an OS, easy to use, are frightened by the forum. 'Puppy linux is not for us' they think. In fact Puppy Linux is the easier OS That i know. But mechanics need breadowns (create them ?) as Linux students need exercice. Well no problem. But when VLC does not read DVDs in Tahrpup, we should like tahrpup creator take care of the problem, whatever the kernel is, or the tharpup version.
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

Pete

Re: We have to many devs, only devs (students) !

#25 Post by Pete »

Pelo wrote:We have to many devs, only devs (students) ! With puppy your are root of course, we don't forget some people satisfy being users , wondering only to get music, edit photo, or type their mail. Which kernel ? They ignore, like drivers ignore the Model of they car engine.
Why am i unhappy ? I am like wives having bought a brand new car and never their husband drives them outside, The car always being disabled for permanent overhaul. You could even sale the wheels !
Because the husband like mechanics ... ....
Nice analogy Pelo. :D

Pelo

We told him there is something wrong

#26 Post by Pelo »

For fun, once upon a time, for Christmas my nephew (5 years old) had a car race circuit (24 heures du mans) . So my brother in law and me had to install. And try it of course.
My nephew began to cry, because he could not even play with his gift. We told him there is something wrong. My sister came and my nephew could at least play his game.

Robert123

Re: see topic XenialDOG. Wireless is working for Me

#27 Post by Robert123 »

Pelo wrote:wireless with Xenialdog, see topic XenialDOG. Wireless is working for me. Yes i am a grump ! because you cannot post in XenialDog to describe new applications offered to Puppy users By XenialDog.
Forum is a repair station now, unable to go the step forward, how to use Puppy, what to do with it, apart from repairs.

Newbies, not interested by repairs, believe Puppy is always working bad.
What utter Bollocks Pelo try using Debian Sid for a while and having to deal with all the cruft from updates that bugger up your system and having to hold packages. Then there is systemad and packages having more and more dependency on it.

I you find Puppy so bad then go try Tiny Core of something else. Puppy is a gosh send after the updating hell that Debian Sid has become.

Pelo

Robert 1.2.3 try Xenialdog,

#28 Post by Pelo »

Robert 1.2.3 try Xenialdog, i was surprised everything was (quite) easy for me. Sure packages are huge. I just bought a nice 8GB pendrive and i decided to give a chance again to mixtures Debian porteus Puppy.
This one is not bad , but their forum is not available for helping users, there are fighting between Mint and Debian lovers.
Our Xenial Puppy is much better, in spite of some youth bugs.

fredx181

#29 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:This one is not bad , but their forum is not available for helping users, there are fighting between Mint and Debian lovers.
You are talking nonsense, Pelo, why would you think something like that???!!!

EDIT: And concerning what you wrote about "repairs":
In case of XenialDog , a few pages were about developing wifi-box, a possible replacement for frisbee.
That is not about "repairing" it's just providing an alternative for those (yes!! users, not developers) who are have problems using frisbee.
But that doesn't mean you can't post about anything else!!
Awaken, Pelo !!, you are seeing things just the wrong way.

Fred

learnhow2code

Re: see topic XenialDOG. Wireless is working for Me

#30 Post by learnhow2code »

Robert123 wrote:the updating hell that Debian Sid has become.
i feel i would be doing you a disservice by explaining that sid is supposed to be like that. i used jessie before it was stable, so i can relate to non-stable versions being less stable than is traditional (i hear you.)

as far as mint vs debian, i consider mint to be a flavor of debian (certainly not an official one.) probably closer to debian than ubuntu is. depends on which mint?)

as far as systemd, ive been on that since late 2014/early 2015, so im pretty confident that its lickable. lots of great anti-systemd and systemd-optional types here, together we can keep puppy from being forced to take on that kind of bloat and chaos.

obviously the devuan puppies are the quickest route there, because they already have debian packages that are automatically reconfigured/switched out without systemd. and im aware there other systemd-free distros puppy can draw from, but being a debian guy im most interested in the ones related to debian (that includes mint.) as for pelo and others with concerns, please consider: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 400#912400 - as an option, as an opportunity. about time that faq was updated anyway-- and we dont need to make it condescending or snippy. after all, we are (mostly) here to help.

Robert123

#31 Post by Robert123 »

Hi Learninghow2code,

Debian Sid based distro LinuxBBQ I didn't have much trouble with when upgrading but updates over say the last six months have deterioted to the point where xorg upgrades break the system. As a plus though Machinebacon developer for BBQ knows what he is doing so builds the appropriate fixes into the new builds or explains how to fix it.