Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 21:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
how many puppy users are there in 2016?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 7 [93 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next

how many puppy users are there?
i am a puppy user
97%
 97%  [ 66 ]
i am not a puppy user (if you want to be counted on here anyway)
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 68

learnhow2code

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 01:16    Post subject:  how many puppy users are there in 2016?
Subject description: cmon, everybody-- even if you start it up once a year

poll is mostly just to let posters up the counter.

if youre here and never use puppy, you can still up a counter-- theres one for you if you really want it. the percentages probably wont mean much.

drunkjedi

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 03:04    Post subject:  

I am only using Tahr and Fatdog since since 2 years.
I rarely boot in to Windows.
dejan555

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 04:59    Post subject:  

I think that the best indicator of puppy usage is how active this very forum is. You see there are still many puplets actively worked on and users interacting all the time, many new threads opened daily... so don't worry about that, you won't get nearly correct result of this poll but there are more then you'd think.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 05:43    Post subject:  

It's a difficult thing to quantify as some only use Puppy occasionally or as a rescue CD, whilst others may not even be part of the forum and others just read the posts and don't engage in discussions.

Between home and work, I have Puppy loaded on about 8 or 10 different machines, do I count as 1 user or 10?
There must be plenty of others that have Puppy loaded on multiple machines.

I suspect that the regulars here are the ones that use Puppy exclusively or together with another OS.

Either way, nothing wrong with a poll and to a certain extent the forum activity and number of new projects also tell a story.
Robert123

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 05:52    Post subject:  

I like to run Stripped down Puppies with a Browser running from opt and a few apps of my choice. Lucid 5.11 at the moment and sometimes Slacko 5.11.
learnhow2code

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 22:35    Post subject:  

Pete wrote:
Either way, nothing wrong with a poll and to a certain extent the forum activity and number of new projects also tell a story.

if the poll settings work, it should remain open until about a day before 2017, or 2017. so there will be plenty of opportunities for people to add themselves.

if they consider themselves a puppy user-- for any reason, at any level of use, that should count.

im sure there are puppy users that are not registered, or that do not frequent the forum enough to use the poll. this includes the author (the one i know) of dpup, whose account is locked.

Marv

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2016, 08:19    Post subject:  

I've used puppy exclusively for at least 5 yrs now and for over a decade in all. Three machines in the house and four to six farmed out to other users. All used daily. My wife is pretty much an android gal at this point but still has an ancient thinkpad with XP on it for downloading books only where the library software only supports you know what Twisted Evil (could prolly do it under wine but there's a learning curve involved) and a puppy laptop at her shop. Since I got used to LibreCAD and set up the puppy NAS box at home I'd be hard pressed to think of anything I need to do and can't do in a pup.
learnhow2code

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2016, 10:18    Post subject:  

Marv wrote:
I've used puppy exclusively for at least 5 yrs now and for over a decade in all. Three machines in the house and four to six farmed out to other users.

this is a good point about forum users vs. puppy users. its not only possible, but likely (and suggested in your post among several others like it) that sometimes multiple users exist per forum participant-- their family. if you are the "go to" person for fixing puppy issues in your family, you could be the only user in your family that comes to the forum.

Belham

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2016, 12:23    Post subject:    

I might just be guessing wildly here, but wouldn't it be fair to say that puppy users vs murga-forum poster users is lopsided way more than any of us can possibly think?

I am thinking puppy users (my definition is people who use puppy once a week) probably number in the mid-hundreds per person (if not higher) of people who actually post here. From other forums I've frequented on other Linux OSes, as I am a notorious multiple Linux multi-booter/user (out of sheer joy and the chance of discovery), I can think offhand of 40-50 people who use puppy but who've never posted here, ever. And this is surely a big, underrepresented sample.

For my two cents, here is my wild guess: worldwide, of all puppies and their deratives, I am thinking the low end of the scale of actual-at-least-once-a-week-to-more users ranges from a 1 to 1.5 million low end. High-end guess is 5 mill +. Call me an optimist. Heck, even with some old-timer afraid of computers people, when we visit their house, I see they have a USB and/or CD lying there on their computer desk and I notice written on it is something along the lines of Precise 5.7 (or pick whatever version you can think, I've seen it). I play dumb and ask what it is, and I usually always here her same thing: it's the safest way for them to do their secure stuff online. That this has propagated through the info mess in the world to these people is astounding.

So, I vote for 5 mill +, worldwide!! Especially when I think of our East European/Russian/Chinese/Asian coding/attacker friends Cool...who can slice through code faster than we can through butter. These people love beautiful, tight code.....and that is the essence of many puppies. I'll bet many have a small USB they carry around with their favorite, fortified puppy-version on, of course the drives are dual-layer encrypted... Laughing
Pete

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2016, 12:53    Post subject:  

@Belham

I reckon your estimate is not a bad one.
Let's look at it from another viewpoint:

If one digs around on the net, it is estimated that there are around 2 billion PC's worldwide.
Now let's trim that figure down by 20% to compensate for errors and PC's that have been trashed.
That leaves 1.6 billion PC's.

Now another estimate is that Linux holds around 2% of the PC market, making it around 32 million.
Now according to distrowatch (yes, I know but at least it's some sort of reference), Puppy Linux is number 19 so going by that, it makes it aprox. 1.7 million Puppy users.
In reality it's probably somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million.
Pretty much on par with your estimate.

Please note that for billion, I used the American definition ( a thousand million) and not the English one which is a million million.
The reason being that the stats on the net are most probably all of American origin and thus based on their definition.
learnhow2code

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2016, 00:28    Post subject:  

Robert123 wrote:
Lucid 5.11 at the moment

which lucid 5.11? is it this one? https://archive.org/download/PuppyLinux_barebones/Lucid5.11Barebone.iso id like to check out whats included by default.
ozsouth

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2016, 06:41    Post subject:  

Xslacko 3.1 (very customised). I support 3 other users, who aren't on the forum.
Robert123

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2016, 17:10    Post subject:  

learnhow2code wrote:
Robert123 wrote:
Lucid 5.11 at the moment

which lucid 5.11? is it this one? https://archive.org/download/PuppyLinux_barebones/Lucid5.11Barebone.iso id like to check out whats included by default.

Sorry for slow reply yes
learnhow2code

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2016, 17:57    Post subject:  

Robert123 wrote:
Sorry for slow reply yes

no worries, thats not even a slow reply Smile incidentally, do you know ally? ...the one that put all these iso files on archive.org (really impressive-- either a fat pipe or a LOT of dedication there, probably both!)

Robert123

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul 2016, 19:38    Post subject:  

I know of Alley, he loves Puppy and very dedicated and its fun to trawl through the collection.Smile
Page 1 of 7 [93 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: