how many puppy users are there in 2016?

Promote Puppy !

how many puppy users are there?

Poll ended at Sun 01 Jan 2017, 05:16

i am a puppy user
97%
i am not a puppy user (if you want to be counted on here anyway)
3%

Total votes: 68

learnhow2code

how many puppy users are there in 2016?

#1 Post by learnhow2code »

poll is mostly just to let posters up the counter.

if youre here and never use puppy, you can still up a counter-- theres one for you if you really want it. the percentages probably wont mean much.

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

I am only using Tahr and Fatdog since since 2 years.
I rarely boot in to Windows.

dejan555

#3 Post by dejan555 »

I think that the best indicator of puppy usage is how active this very forum is. You see there are still many puplets actively worked on and users interacting all the time, many new threads opened daily... so don't worry about that, you won't get nearly correct result of this poll but there are more then you'd think.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Pete

#4 Post by Pete »

It's a difficult thing to quantify as some only use Puppy occasionally or as a rescue CD, whilst others may not even be part of the forum and others just read the posts and don't engage in discussions.

Between home and work, I have Puppy loaded on about 8 or 10 different machines, do I count as 1 user or 10?
There must be plenty of others that have Puppy loaded on multiple machines.

I suspect that the regulars here are the ones that use Puppy exclusively or together with another OS.

Either way, nothing wrong with a poll and to a certain extent the forum activity and number of new projects also tell a story.

Robert123

#5 Post by Robert123 »

I like to run Stripped down Puppies with a Browser running from opt and a few apps of my choice. Lucid 5.11 at the moment and sometimes Slacko 5.11.

learnhow2code

#6 Post by learnhow2code »

Pete wrote:Either way, nothing wrong with a poll and to a certain extent the forum activity and number of new projects also tell a story.
if the poll settings work, it should remain open until about a day before 2017, or 2017. so there will be plenty of opportunities for people to add themselves.

if they consider themselves a puppy user-- for any reason, at any level of use, that should count.

im sure there are puppy users that are not registered, or that do not frequent the forum enough to use the poll. this includes the author (the one i know) of dpup, whose account is locked.

Marv

#7 Post by Marv »

I've used puppy exclusively for at least 5 yrs now and for over a decade in all. Three machines in the house and four to six farmed out to other users. All used daily. My wife is pretty much an android gal at this point but still has an ancient thinkpad with XP on it for downloading books only where the library software only supports you know what :twisted: (could prolly do it under wine but there's a learning curve involved) and a puppy laptop at her shop. Since I got used to LibreCAD and set up the puppy NAS box at home I'd be hard pressed to think of anything I need to do and can't do in a pup.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

learnhow2code

#8 Post by learnhow2code »

Marv wrote:I've used puppy exclusively for at least 5 yrs now and for over a decade in all. Three machines in the house and four to six farmed out to other users.
this is a good point about forum users vs. puppy users. its not only possible, but likely (and suggested in your post among several others like it) that sometimes multiple users exist per forum participant-- their family. if you are the "go to" person for fixing puppy issues in your family, you could be the only user in your family that comes to the forum.

Belham

#9 Post by Belham »

I might just be guessing wildly here, but wouldn't it be fair to say that puppy users vs murga-forum poster users is lopsided way more than any of us can possibly think?

I am thinking puppy users (my definition is people who use puppy once a week) probably number in the mid-hundreds per person (if not higher) of people who actually post here. From other forums I've frequented on other Linux OSes, as I am a notorious multiple Linux multi-booter/user (out of sheer joy and the chance of discovery), I can think offhand of 40-50 people who use puppy but who've never posted here, ever. And this is surely a big, underrepresented sample.

For my two cents, here is my wild guess: worldwide, of all puppies and their deratives, I am thinking the low end of the scale of actual-at-least-once-a-week-to-more users ranges from a 1 to 1.5 million low end. High-end guess is 5 mill +. Call me an optimist. Heck, even with some old-timer afraid of computers people, when we visit their house, I see they have a USB and/or CD lying there on their computer desk and I notice written on it is something along the lines of Precise 5.7 (or pick whatever version you can think, I've seen it). I play dumb and ask what it is, and I usually always here her same thing: it's the safest way for them to do their secure stuff online. That this has propagated through the info mess in the world to these people is astounding.

So, I vote for 5 mill +, worldwide!! Especially when I think of our East European/Russian/Chinese/Asian coding/attacker friends 8)...who can slice through code faster than we can through butter. These people love beautiful, tight code.....and that is the essence of many puppies. I'll bet many have a small USB they carry around with their favorite, fortified puppy-version on, of course the drives are dual-layer encrypted... :lol:

Pete

#10 Post by Pete »

@Belham

I reckon your estimate is not a bad one.
Let's look at it from another viewpoint:

If one digs around on the net, it is estimated that there are around 2 billion PC's worldwide.
Now let's trim that figure down by 20% to compensate for errors and PC's that have been trashed.
That leaves 1.6 billion PC's.

Now another estimate is that Linux holds around 2% of the PC market, making it around 32 million.
Now according to distrowatch (yes, I know but at least it's some sort of reference), Puppy Linux is number 19 so going by that, it makes it aprox. 1.7 million Puppy users.
In reality it's probably somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million.
Pretty much on par with your estimate.

Please note that for billion, I used the American definition ( a thousand million) and not the English one which is a million million.
The reason being that the stats on the net are most probably all of American origin and thus based on their definition.

learnhow2code

#11 Post by learnhow2code »

Robert123 wrote:Lucid 5.11 at the moment
which lucid 5.11? is it this one? https://archive.org/download/PuppyLinux ... rebone.iso id like to check out whats included by default.

ozsouth

#12 Post by ozsouth »

Xslacko 3.1 (very customised). I support 3 other users, who aren't on the forum.

Robert123

#13 Post by Robert123 »

learnhow2code wrote:
Robert123 wrote:Lucid 5.11 at the moment
which lucid 5.11? is it this one? https://archive.org/download/PuppyLinux ... rebone.iso id like to check out whats included by default.
Sorry for slow reply yes

learnhow2code

#14 Post by learnhow2code »

Robert123 wrote:Sorry for slow reply yes
no worries, thats not even a slow reply :) incidentally, do you know ally? ...the one that put all these iso files on archive.org (really impressive-- either a fat pipe or a LOT of dedication there, probably both!)

Robert123

#15 Post by Robert123 »

I know of Alley, he loves Puppy and very dedicated and its fun to trawl through the collection.:)

ally

#16 Post by ally »

leave my pipe out of it......

it took MANY hours, especially as when I started I had no idea of the wget command and did the downloading by manually

I have had a script written by sfr (thanks again) to collate numbers, only half way through (it's still very time consuming and I've been a little badly lately but so far):

out of 330/555 pages, 72000 files, 1.22Tb and 261000 page views

there are over 3500 puppy builds archived, this has nearly fitted a terrabyte drive, saving for more space

I started at puppy 4.12 and used it to repair my windows builds, after a while the penny dropped and I moved to puppy full time, probably about 6-7 years ago, slacko 5.3.3 was a long term favourite but currently running tahr 6.0.5

:)

learnhow2code

#17 Post by learnhow2code »

ally wrote:out of 330/555 pages, 72000 files, 1.22Tb and 261000 page views
very cool! pleasure to finally meet you.

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Wow, Ally! Such patience and determination!

You're due a never-ending string of thanks! :D

You should be voted "Puppy All-Time Hero"! :)

~~~~~~~~
Regarding the question itself, I remember member pelo had started a similar thread
on the French side a few years ago. Maybe ask him to backtrack to that thread:
with his Internet research skills, he'll find it in a wink.

IIRC, we used the views on this forum as a guide, and it showed that Puppyists
had viewed the Puppy version 2 thread initiated by ttuuxxx +/- 1.2 million times.

If from that result we subtract the number of those who come here only to watch
the sunset ;), it's still a respectable number.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Moose On The Loose

Re: how many puppy users are there in 2016?

#19 Post by Moose On The Loose »

learnhow2code wrote:poll is mostly just to let posters up the counter.

if youre here and never use puppy, you can still up a counter-- theres one for you if you really want it. the percentages probably wont mean much.
I use puppy 528 all the time.

I know of someone who uses puppy 4.2 all the time without knowing what it is
I know of someone who uses puppy 528 all the time without caring what it is
I know of someone who uses puppy 528 maybe once a month.
I know of someone who used it once at the most perhaps so far.

I have introduced puppy to the folks above as a tool so solve a problem. It solves the problem for them and thus they use it.

Belham

#20 Post by Belham »

+1 to what Musher said.

Jeeesus, Ally, all this time I thought you couldn't possibly be one person, or either you were a real (non-mythical) hydra-headed beast with freak internet-puppy upload organizing skills :D Seriously, if we have an all-time Battlestar-Galactica-like Final Five, you are one of them. And if by chance you're not hydra-headed but instead look like 'seven-of-nine', well, then, in my book you automatically move to head of the Final Five list and let me know where I can sign up to serve on your battle cruiser!! :lol: [/i]