how many puppy users are there in 2016?

Promote Puppy !

how many puppy users are there?

Poll ended at Sun 01 Jan 2017, 05:16

i am a puppy user
97%
i am not a puppy user (if you want to be counted on here anyway)
3%

Total votes: 68

ally

#16 Post by ally »

leave my pipe out of it......

it took MANY hours, especially as when I started I had no idea of the wget command and did the downloading by manually

I have had a script written by sfr (thanks again) to collate numbers, only half way through (it's still very time consuming and I've been a little badly lately but so far):

out of 330/555 pages, 72000 files, 1.22Tb and 261000 page views

there are over 3500 puppy builds archived, this has nearly fitted a terrabyte drive, saving for more space

I started at puppy 4.12 and used it to repair my windows builds, after a while the penny dropped and I moved to puppy full time, probably about 6-7 years ago, slacko 5.3.3 was a long term favourite but currently running tahr 6.0.5

:)

learnhow2code

#17 Post by learnhow2code »

ally wrote:out of 330/555 pages, 72000 files, 1.22Tb and 261000 page views
very cool! pleasure to finally meet you.

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Wow, Ally! Such patience and determination!

You're due a never-ending string of thanks! :D

You should be voted "Puppy All-Time Hero"! :)

~~~~~~~~
Regarding the question itself, I remember member pelo had started a similar thread
on the French side a few years ago. Maybe ask him to backtrack to that thread:
with his Internet research skills, he'll find it in a wink.

IIRC, we used the views on this forum as a guide, and it showed that Puppyists
had viewed the Puppy version 2 thread initiated by ttuuxxx +/- 1.2 million times.

If from that result we subtract the number of those who come here only to watch
the sunset ;), it's still a respectable number.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Moose On The Loose

Re: how many puppy users are there in 2016?

#19 Post by Moose On The Loose »

learnhow2code wrote:poll is mostly just to let posters up the counter.

if youre here and never use puppy, you can still up a counter-- theres one for you if you really want it. the percentages probably wont mean much.
I use puppy 528 all the time.

I know of someone who uses puppy 4.2 all the time without knowing what it is
I know of someone who uses puppy 528 all the time without caring what it is
I know of someone who uses puppy 528 maybe once a month.
I know of someone who used it once at the most perhaps so far.

I have introduced puppy to the folks above as a tool so solve a problem. It solves the problem for them and thus they use it.

Belham

#20 Post by Belham »

+1 to what Musher said.

Jeeesus, Ally, all this time I thought you couldn't possibly be one person, or either you were a real (non-mythical) hydra-headed beast with freak internet-puppy upload organizing skills :D Seriously, if we have an all-time Battlestar-Galactica-like Final Five, you are one of them. And if by chance you're not hydra-headed but instead look like 'seven-of-nine', well, then, in my book you automatically move to head of the Final Five list and let me know where I can sign up to serve on your battle cruiser!! :lol: [/i]

learnhow2code

#21 Post by learnhow2code »

Belham wrote:And if by chance you're not hydra-headed but instead look like 'seven-of-nine', well, then, in my book you automatically move to head of the Final Five list and let me know where I can sign up to serve on your battle cruiser!! :lol:
archivists are that cool. i would probably take one, male or female, even if they were 'four-out-of-ten'!

ally

#22 Post by ally »

it started as I thought it sad that peoples hard work faded away, then it was sort of fun, then it was sort of awful and now it's just an ocd thing

when the archive kindly granted permission to create a dedicated page it took me 6 months to upload all the files I had, this was several hours a day on a crappy rural broadband, my package was not unlimited as purchased now and it cost a fortune in charges

I've spent 6 hours so far today downloading browsers, drivers, kernels and office files for dedicated pages and I've yet to upload them (my son is playing COD and he gets upset when I beast the connection!), on the plus side I've found an additional dozen puppy builds including some interesting Mass Spectrometry ones - nice!

starhawk

#23 Post by starhawk »

@ally -- I have some older Pups archived away, including some that date back to the really early days and were dug back up during an attempt by others to catalog them, on a secondary partition of my SSD. If you'd like a list of what I've got, I can get you that -- PM me, please. I also have Google Drive, so I can get them to you that way, should it prove necessary.

Pete

#24 Post by Pete »

@ally

I think we all owe you a great big thank you for your time, effort and expense in organizing Puppy archives like you have done.

I'm rather interested in the Mass Spectrometry pups you mentioned and what hardware was used with it.
Any info and links would be greatly appreciated.

And thank you once again.

starhawk

#25 Post by starhawk »

Pete wrote:@ally

I think we all owe you a great big thank you for your time, effort and expense in organizing Puppy archives like you have done.
I'd like to add my voice to this remark as well -- as well as an apology for not saying it myself :oops:

ally

#26 Post by ally »

@starhawk, pm sent

@pete, see here:

http://www.lababi.bioprocess.org/index. ... 8-massypup

I'll be downloading in a while and creating a page, won't go up until tomorrow, too much going up now

there is a 3.9gb and a light version beneath the first link, they are based on fatdog

Pete

#27 Post by Pete »

@ally

Fantastic, thanks.

starhawk

#28 Post by starhawk »

@ally -- replied.

0xdawg

#29 Post by 0xdawg »

moep
[size=75][b][url]https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe[/url][/b][/size]

raffy

2x

#30 Post by raffy »

I should be counted 2 'coz the wife has also been using the Pup in the office since 2005.

Or should be counted 4 if we count the 4 machines where the Pup is installed (2 laptops and 2 desktops).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

learnhow2code

Re: 2x

#31 Post by learnhow2code »

raffy wrote:I should be counted 2
hey, its raffy! now send lobster over to count up one.

jlst

#32 Post by jlst »

There could be more users. According to my experience, ROX is one of the main reasons desktop users don't treat puppy seriously.

I tried to introduce puppy to my brother, but he enraged when he tried to use rox, he tried to copy and paste a file with the Keyboard, he just went nuts. There is only one panel, etc.

A few months later, i told him.. look lxpup, pcmanfm.. windows explorer... he said it's not official and that puppy is not a serious distribution to work with.

I know many people think like him. I don't blame them. I also grew to have a pathological hatred for ROX, as it's hardcoded everywhere.

Sailor Enceladus

#33 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I just open two windows lol. But yes, anything new throws people set-in-their-ways off. If Windows came with Rox too everything would be ok. The argument can easily be thrown in reverse and we can say your brother is not a serious user ;D K.I.S.S. etc.

learnhow2code

#34 Post by learnhow2code »

jlst wrote:There could be more users. According to my experience, ROX is one of the main reasons desktop users don't treat puppy seriously.
rox is just part of puppy. i mean it could be worked out, but no one wants to go to all the trouble. my own feeling is that its stuck that way.

take what im doing, which is setting up a system that starts with devuan and then copies over the stuff from puppy that would make it puppy-- but until it reaches the point where it is itself puppy, it also has a "native" puppy mode. i havent copied over rox yet, but ive thought about it. because whats going to make it "puppy" faster than rox?

the DESKTOP, ICONS, and file windows (and automounter) all use it. almost every puppy screencap has the rox pinboard, just like XFCE has one from thunar. how do you change the icon settings on the XFCE desktop? from the file manager. (how about explorer.exe in windows xp?) would the puppy community (most of it) ever want something other than the rox pinboard for a desktop? i dont know, theyve liked it for 10 years.

if i said "ok, no rox pinboard by default" i think they would just throw more tomatoes-- even though they dont use my half-pup anyway. we arent technically stuck with rox we are culturally stuck with it. i dont think its terrible, because as you say i can just open the file manager i prefer. theres only one thing about rox i truly loathe, and it can be turned off-- the way every folder resizes? i hate that so much. quit moving around the screen... im sure someone loves it.

Pete

#35 Post by Pete »

@learnhow2code

I'm not sure if were are talking about the same thing, but it also drove me crazy until I discovered the resize options:
Attachments
ROXresize.png
(64.72 KiB) Downloaded 518 times