how many puppy users are there in 2016?

Promote Puppy !

how many puppy users are there?

Poll ended at Sun 01 Jan 2017, 05:16

i am a puppy user
97%
i am not a puppy user (if you want to be counted on here anyway)
3%

Total votes: 68

musher0

#61 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

So, Anikin, you are challenging the number of over 159,000 downloads submitted by
Peebee and validated by the download robot at sourceforge.net. What can I say?
This French proverb is a perfect fit, I think:
"The worst deaf people are those who don't want to hear."

In no order:
-- I suggested the number of two million Puppy users based on the research the
French section (myself, pelo, and a couple of others) did a couple of years ago. The
Puppy-2.7 thread initiated by ttuuxxx had had then, by itself, over a million readers
(hits). Just dig up that thread, you'll see.

You can find similar counts for all other major breeds of Puppy (the 4.3x's, the old
quirkies, the racies, pemasu's upup's, the lupu's, the slacko's, 666philb's Tahrpups,
etc., etc.). Add them up, and you may find that my suggested number of two million
users is not so far-fetched or out-of-the-blue after all.

It's time-consuming, but it can be done.

-- As dancytron mentioned, a user satisfied by his/her Puppy won't register here or
feel the need to participate in a forum discussion.

-- What is that interesting 90-9-1 modulo about forums? How did it come about? Who
uses it? Which organizations consider it valid? Thanks in advance.

-- Even if this forum was frequented by only 49 regular potential devs/testers, I'd
say: wow!

-- If we take a conservative average number of say 18,000 visitors per day to this
forum, and we multiply that number by 365 days in the year we get: 6,570,000...
users? :) Of course the sunset is beautiful to watch from this Puppy forum!!! :lol:

My 2-3 cents (CAD). ;) (The wink is for the person who knows why it's there!)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

learnhow2code

#62 Post by learnhow2code »

-- If we take a conservative average number of say 18,000 visitors per day to this
forum, and we multiply that number by 365 days in the year we get: 6,570,000...
users?
youre not accounting for repeat customers among the 18,000 from one day to the next. since i know im one of the 18,000, which is probably more accurate than your other number. if i come here 100 days out of the year, that means you can subtract 99 from your figure just for me; its not 18,000 times 365(.25 to account for leap year.) once you figure out how many are repeats from one day to the next-- you then get a number between:

18,000 and 6,574,500,
- crawlers and non-users
- users who were on more than one ip per day (like me)
----------
+ users that were on the same ip as another puppy user (families)
----------
x 10, per the 90-9-1 thing
----------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule ... culture%29

musher0

#63 Post by musher0 »

Fair enough.

18,000 x 10 = 180,000 users at least

Plus peebee's LxPup fans

= 339,000 users

Still better than nothing!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

learnhow2code

#64 Post by learnhow2code »

thats more than a quarter of a million. thats a LOT!

its a reasonable figure. it could possibly be more, given the dw ranking.

Sailor Enceladus

#65 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

musher0 wrote:Plus peebee's LxPup fans
Sourceforge lies. I think peebee found that out when apparently 261 people downloaded his LxPup-15.11.02-s-pae and nobody noticed Firefox was broken. I wonder if the people who use 01micko's excellent Sourceforge downloader count. :lol:

musher0

#66 Post by musher0 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
musher0 wrote:Plus peebee's LxPup fans
Sourceforge lies. I think peebee found that out when apparently 261 people downloaded his LxPup-15.11.02-s-pae and nobody noticed Firefox was broken. I wonder if the people who use 01micko's excellent Sourceforge downloader count. :lol:
Hi, Sailor.

How about providing the numbers of your counter-evidence publicly? Or maybe you
are pessimistic by nature and you just want company in your misery? :lol: (As in:
"Misery loves company." [English proverb]) :lol:

In the meantime, I found the stats for koulazixis' Slacko XL from 3 years ago until
now. So another 58,526 users should be added to our numbers! :) (as of this writing)
Please see:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppys ... 2016-08-07
koulazixis's Pup was downloaded 320 times this past week.

This means we are pushing close to 400,000 users. And I still think that this new
number is conservative.

I know that with these numbers my Puppy morale is improving! :D How about yours?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

learnhow2code

#67 Post by learnhow2code »

musher0 wrote:How about providing the numbers of your counter-evidence publicly? Or maybe you
are pessimistic by nature and you just want company in your misery? :lol: (As in:
"Misery loves company." [English proverb]) :lol:
theres no evidence outside this single metric that sailor is a pessimist-- since youre basing it only on this thread (and even if you werent) this is simple ad hom.
In the meantime, I found the stats for koulazixis' Slacko XL from 3 years ago until
now. So another 58,526 users should be added to our numbers! :)
youre neglecting overlap again. youre counting every download as a user (thats not at all realistic) and youre counting every download by a user as an individual user.

i have 26 pups in ONE folder that is handy-- as far as i know, im not 26 people. more to the point, many people have professed to downloading multiple pups without being multiple people.
Pup was downloaded 320 times this past week.

This means we are pushing close to 400,000 users.
no it doesnt mean that at all.
I know that with these numbers my Puppy morale is improving! :D How about yours?
numbers are numbers. morale is subjective. i think puppy is doing fine, incidentally-- im not interested in a perversely oversimplified interpretation of download data to justify it.

neither is sailor-- no need to call him out for questioning a mostly irrelevant factoid based on what he knows.

btw, i assume your interpretation of the data is tongue-in-cheek. thats fine, im likewise pretending youre serious-- but even if youre kidding im not entirely sure accusing sailor is necessary.

musher0

#68 Post by musher0 »

Fine. If you don't like my approach, why don't you develop your own methodology?

BTW, you still have not answered me as to how the modulo 90-9-1 was obtained.

Finally, in the word emotion there is the word motion. Emotions are what move people,
even to get facts. If you're pessimistic you'll see the glass half-empty. This is nothing
new. It's just a reminder.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

learnhow2code

#69 Post by learnhow2code »

musher0 wrote:Fine. If you don't like my approach, why don't you develop your own methodology?
its not my own methodology-- its simply (by virtue of being on the forum) a collaboration on trying to guess how many users there are.

its somewhat disingenuous imo, to say "why dont you develop your own" when youre using ad hom against someone elses contribution-- not just anikins (which is beating a dead horse) now sailor, too? nonetheless, the critique of your approach is fairly sound and logical.
you still have not answered me as to how the modulo 90-9-1 was obtained.
i gave you the best answer that was available to me-- if thats not enough or you missed it, look back. the 90-9-1 is a starting point, and only multiplies (increases) the number of some other datapoint, so i would think it is welcome.
Finally, in the word emotion there is the word motion. Emotions are what move people,
even to get facts. If you're pessimistic you'll see the glass half-empty. This is nothing
new. It's just a reminder.
i dont think sailor was being pessimistic-- optimist and pessimist are not the only choices here. he was being more reasonable, which is why calling him a pessimist doesnt make a lot of sense.

incidentally, youre also free to critique my approach as well as sailors. i hope you will do so reasonably, however. so far i think youve critiqued more than one approach, and i feel it was reasonable to critique the critique.

to be tongue-in-cheek for the sake of a point, you are optimistic when it comes to puppy stats but perhaps you are pessimistic when it comes to others intentions? sailor is the only "pessimist" here you havent also accused of trolling, so i interpret this as part of a pattern.

we arent likely to get a definitive number from this thread, so its fine that the answers will differ. i still dont think sailor is a pessimist. even if he is-- i think he poses legitimate questions and data. id also like to know where he gets his facts about sf, but its more out of curiosity than anything else.

musher0

#70 Post by musher0 »

Hey, learhow2code.

I was presenting in good faith what I thought were reasonable arguments.

Defend whatever widow or orphan or friend you think I'm attacking.

My ultimate goal is to make Puppy a better distro and to boost morale here.

I have no time for "ad hominem's", real or perceived. See them wherever you like,
discover as many as you like and whenever you please. Please be my guest.

This is still a free world! Think what you like!

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

learnhow2code

#71 Post by learnhow2code »

musher0 wrote: I have no time for "ad hominem's", real or perceived. See them wherever you like, discover as many as you like and whenever you please. Please be my guest.

This is still a free world! Think what you like!
ok well in that case, would you stop calling people trolls when you dont agree with them? me included. of course youre free to do so, but not without counter criticism (and your usual dodging that follows.)

its your habit/pattern of doing that on multiple occasions which led me to perceive youre leaning on ad hom here, taking time out to call sailor a pessimist. (maybe he is-- you just lean on that sort of argument a lot.)

nice to know youre using your time for better things from now on-- thats called progress! and thats good news.

Sailor Enceladus

#72 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sorry, my post was indeed negative :lol: , though I do share 01micko's views that Sourceforge sucks (especially after this).

learnhow2code

#73 Post by learnhow2code »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:Sorry, my post was indeed negative :lol: , though I do share 01micko's views that Sourceforge sucks (especially after this).
i think they have changed owners since then. thats not (automatically) the same as reforming, though its definitely worthy of mention. the way sf was run over the past few years was appalling.

musher0

#74 Post by musher0 »

musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

learnhow2code

#75 Post by learnhow2code »

musher0 wrote:@learnhow2code:
Do I need to repeat myself?
youre going to need to add something, if you want me to take your claim seriously. but since you already said im free to my opinion (and you dont have time for the perceptions of others-- feel free to repeat any of that) why would you bother wasting time on it now?

by your own words its a non-issue, is it not?

heck, to answer your question (quoted in this post) -- you tell me! or dont; i certainly cant decide that for you.

Pelo

five pages and still no vote ?

#76 Post by Pelo »

five pages and still no vote ? I am user (not root), just voted.Like passengers on airplane, i don't touch anything, frightened to break my speedy puppies. However if you could write things in French, it would be better. My old Harraps dictionary miss so many words.Translation is hard, very hard.
Attachments
31-Charlie-Brown-Kicking-him-down-300x240.jpg
Don't disturb roots, kick out users.
(27 KiB) Downloaded 908 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 15:47, edited 2 times in total.

learnhow2code

Re: five pages and still no vote ?

#77 Post by learnhow2code »

Pelo wrote:five pages and still no vote ?
it is just a counter. up to 50!
Like passengers on airplane, i don't touch anything, frightened to break my speedy puppies.
that is too bad. in the old days every user could make a system disk (like when you download puppy and make a cd) and you could always break dos and reinstall if you needed.

you could even slide a plastic slider (or attach/remove a sticker) to keep your important files (disks) read-only.

many years later, windows stopped giving install cds to everyone, and made installing enough trouble that more people were afraid of "breaking" windows.

when i found out how to install 98 from a boot floppy and one folder, i felt free to mess with things again.

HOW DID I BECOME SO EXPERT?

i learned by playing. backup your files-- get a second old computer for "play," and start being free!

you are chauffeured (thats probably french!) on a plane, but that would only weigh you down on a paraglider-- and like with a paraglider, you probably need someone to help get you high enough to start flying. after that, you are both passenger and pilot.

windows gives a passenger mindset-- you are free to be a passenger, and puppy will fly you around, but that is not the same kind of free. it is consolation-prize freedom, order-off-the-menu freedom.

you dont have to be afraid of the Out house to get a nice chef to cook for you-- i use things other people make every day!

have you ever tried fajitas? theyre an american (pretend-mexican) dish where they cook all the ingredients and warm the tortillas which they bring to the table. then you put them together the way you like.

how about instant cake mix? they used to require only water and bake time, but no one wanted to buy them. then they said "lets take the egg out, make them add the egg themselves" and suddenly people wanted to buy it :)

Pelo

Puppy is the easier OS.. No doubt about that..

#78 Post by Pelo »

'tea for two and two for tea'. AH at least i understand this english speaking. And comparison with cooking; i would spend a penny to bet learnhow2code is a citoyen français, tthat is why he would not have missed to vote.
Puppy is the easier OS.. No doubt about that.. and it works well, 98% of downloaders don't suscribe in the forum. Some Puppies are unknown here.Completely outdoor (see télécharger.com). Some are just posted here, and live outside (Pupjibaros), russian puppies (leaders in Europe, ignored because russian is not spoken in western countries)
With facebook, you will see users are mainly from Asia, and europe. Roots are UK citizen.They are few, because linux speaking is not yet learnt as much as english, even as magyar or tamul. .
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#79 Post by musher0 »

From the earliest date of ASRI Edu: over 125,000 users
Attachments
AsriEdu-stats_2016-08-09.jpg
(34.96 KiB) Downloaded 1628 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

learnhow2code

#80 Post by learnhow2code »

what the heck happened in 2014? does that average out the same as the other years? its like WAY more downloads than usual, then way fewer, then way more, way fewer, etc.