trident CyberBlade ai1 (puppy 2.02)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Trident
It looks like the DRM module source is separately available from CVS, and a recompiled Xorg 2D driver is required to link to the DRM module.

MU

#17 Post by MU »

do you know the comand to get the required files from the cvs?
Then I could compile in Puppy 2.02, I had good results with the Ati-fglrx-driver, in contrast to 2.10.

I think the drm-module would be sufficient, I think I don't have the xorg-sources on this machine, so we would try it with the existent Xorg DRI-driver.
Don't remember if I compiled that myself in Xorg 6.8.2, or if it was a binary from Mandrake-Linux 9.2.
Mark

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

Oops, I already uploaded the trident files to you before seeing your post. Anyway, the commands are -

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@dri.freedesktop.org:/cvs/dri login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@dri.freedesktop.org:/cvs/dri co -rtrident-0-0-2-branch drm

... but you won't have any luck with Puppy 2.02, the trident source is only available for 2.4 kernels - in /drm/linux/.
The directory for 2.6 source code is /drm/linux-core/, and there's no trident source there.

So I compiled the Trident DRM module and 2D driver against the 2.4.29 kernel. For 3D with Trident, Spindoctor will need to use Puppy 1.0.9CE

MU

#19 Post by MU »

ok, then I must modify the 3DCC to load the trident.o at boot.

Spindoctor, would it be a option to use Puppy 1?
If not, I will not update the 3DCC quickly, but at weekend or so.

But if you want to try Puppy 1, I can update it tomorrow.
Mark

Spindoctor

#20 Post by Spindoctor »

first of all a big big thank you to both of you (I know that I'm repeating myself) - especially Mark!
It's really wonderful how much you care about my problem, although I'm sure you've got other things to do!

One reason to use Puppy for me was the modern Kernel. Therefore I don't really want to use Puppy 1.

But waiting until the weekend is a great option. I was able to live without 3Dsupport one month or something - I will survive it a few more days.

MU

#21 Post by MU »

no, that's a missunderstanding I think ;)
I cannot make a dotpup for Puppy2 at weekend, as there is no code for the Kernel 2.6.

At weekend I just can update the 3D-Control-Center for Puppy1.
If you had interest in Puppy1, I would have done it earlier.

Mark

Spindoctor

#22 Post by Spindoctor »

ah i see :oops: ... what a pitty...

is there no solution in puppy 2, not even if i wait longer?

MU

#23 Post by MU »

this is what tempestous wrote:
... but you won't have any luck with Puppy 2.02, the trident source is only available for 2.4 kernels - in /drm/linux/.
This unfortunately means, there is no sourcecode at all in the trident-software for Kernel 2.6 :(
As this code was developed by a single person, it depends on him, if he will write code for Kernel 2.6, too.

I fear it does not look good, the module you installed first, I found about a year ago, this means since then nothing new hapened.

You only can try to use another colour-depth in your settings, like 16bit instead of 24bit, maybe that is faster.
Also try different mediaplayers.
Mplayer lets you choose between methods to display videos in the options.
Maybe that makes a difference.

We have several different versions, one might work better than another depending on the computer.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9568
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5701
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9000

Mark

Spindoctor

#24 Post by Spindoctor »

well... since Ded Dog's suggestion watching videos is not a problem anymore at all.

It's just other things like the snes emulator, that are really slower than they should be...

would ndiswrapper solve the problem if i had a windows driver?

Or another idea:
Since Ted Dog's hint I use the unichrome version of XCine (I hope i put things correct in this sentence - I don't exactly know what I'm using since Ted Dog's hint).
Wouldn't it be possible that the unichrome driver works aswell for other applications?

[edit]
googled a bit - I don't know which criterias a fitting driver has to fulfill, but what about this one?
http://www.downloadsource.net/874/Tride ... ver-Linux/
[edit 2]
hmmm seems to be another chip, not mine...?
[/edit]

tempestuous

#25 Post by tempestuous »

Spindoctor wrote:Wouldn't it be possible that the unichrome driver works as well for other applications?
No. The acceleration feature in question is the "XvMC" library. It applies only to MPEG1/2 video decompression, and is only compatible with these 3 Linux 3D graphics drivers - Openchrome (for VIA Unichrome), Intel i810, and the proprietary nVidia version.
More details in the original Xine dotpup announcement http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5701

I really suggest you consider going back to Puppy 1.0.9CE. As raffy mentioned in a recent post, it's still a very good release. If a certain kernel gets you a certain feature, then go for it. The 2.6.16 kernel brings driver compatibility with digital TV tuner cards, newer wifi drivers such as Prism54softmac, and SerialATA hard drive support ... do you need any of those?
And I liked the way the Puppy 1x series could save a pup001 file to NTFS, in a very safe fashion.

In that drive link you provided "Trident-Blade-3D-Driver-Linux", the "3D" is part of the model number. This appears to be an SVGA Xserver binary. These are quite good for older graphics cards (I'm using the SVGA_XF86 Xserver with my 2MB Neomagic laptop display) but there's no acceleration involved and certainly no 3D.
Spindoctor wrote:would ndiswrapper solve the problem if i had a windows driver?
This is unrelated to graphics performance.

Spindoctor

#26 Post by Spindoctor »

I think I will need the NTFS write-support.

Im not sure, but it could also be, that my wifi-network needs the new kernel...

[edit]
I hope this isn't getting too annoying, but would it be possible to compile a modern home brew kernel and just take all relevant "graphic modules" from the 2.4 kernel, so that the Trident driver would fit.
I know it's a big project for a newbie like me - perhaps too big...
I just like to know if it was possible.
[/edit]

tempestuous

#27 Post by tempestuous »

There are 4 different levels of graphics drivers/modules which interact for 3D support:
1. Xorg 2D driver, found in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
2. Xorg 3D DRI driver (Direct Rendering Interface) found in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/
3. DRM kernel module (Direct Rendering Manager) found in /lib/modules/...
4. AGP kernel module, found in /lib/modules/...

1. and 2. are specific to the version of Xorg that your system is running, but the kernel version doesn't matter.
3. and 4. are kernel-specific, like all kernel modules.

A Trident DRM kernel module is not available for 2.6 kernels. End of story.

If 3D support is important to you with your EXISTING hardware, then go for Puppy 1.0.9
... but what hardware are we talking about? A laptop? If not, change the graphics card to one well-supported by 3D drivers in Linux, then you can use Puppy2x.
Spindoctor wrote:Im not sure, but it could also be, that my wifi-network needs the new kernel...
Wifi has been working in Linux for years before the introduction of the 2.6 kernel.
Spindoctor wrote:I think I will need the NTFS write-support.
Full (and safe) NTFS write capability has only become possible with Linux in the last month or so, and the mainstream distributions don't include it yet. Is it really that important?

Spindoctor

#28 Post by Spindoctor »

tempestuous wrote:A Trident DRM kernel module is not available for 2.6 kernels. End of story.
hmmm... ok... if you say so... :cry:
tempestuous wrote:If 3D support is important to you with your EXISTING hardware, then go for Puppy 1.0.9
... but what hardware are we talking about? A laptop? If not, change the graphics card to one well-supported by 3D drivers in Linux, then you can use Puppy2x.
Yes, it is a laptop.
3D-Support isn't that important to me... although it would be nice to play some old games on the notebook.
tempestuous wrote:
Spindoctor wrote:I think I will need the NTFS write-support.
Full (and safe) NTFS write capability has only become possible with Linux in the last month or so, and the mainstream distributions don't include it yet. Is it really that important?
I admit, one of the most important reasons not to use puppy 1.0.9 is that it's not new. I love to have new stuff.
But anyway, that doesn't make me an evil person, does it? :twisted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but since Puppy 1.0.9 I imagine a lot of progress did happen, not only in the Kernel (you say the progress in the Kernel was not so important) but also in other parts of Puppy.