FirstClass Email Installation

Booting, installing, newbie
rcrsn51

FirstClass Email Installation

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am trying to install an email client called FirstClass. Our school board uses the Windows version. I downloaded the generic Linux version from here:

http://www.firstclass.com/clientdownloa ... wnloadPage

I unpacked it OK but the executable won't launch properly. Perhaps someone with more Linux experience than me could try it and find what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

i unpacked the Generic Linux version

it expects to be installed in /opt

for Puppy 1.x, /opt is in ram and dissapears when Puppy reboots ... you can get around this by putting the folder somewhere else and putting a symlink in /opt, either when Puppy boots, or as a wrapper script

i'm not sure about Puppy 2.x ... i think /opt is writeable in Puppy 2.x, but i'm not sure

when you start the program, it complains:
/usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by ./fcc)

i don't know if this is a problem or whether it will use that library file anyway ... it starts, and displays a splash screen and the the login screen

it requires QT to run

it may require KDE to run ... i haven't tried doing anything with it, but i suspect it will try to use Konqueror ... standard Puppy versions do not have KDE or Konqueror installed

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. I'm using Puppy 2 and when I click the executable, it flickers a bit and quits with no error messages. I'll work on it some more.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

So I reinstalled it into /opt like it wants but I still get nothing when I click on the executable. Is there some other step to launching this program that I don't understand?

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Got it! At first, I didn't understand your reference to needing QT. After I installed it through PupGet, FirstClass works fine. Thanks for your help.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

I had to install First Class for a Open University course.

Maybe someone can document the process of seting it up or create a dotpup. I remember the QT library was required and some quie obscure settings (to do with the connection to servers). Maybe the company should be asked about upgrading their server or info . . .
They could at least support some more educational distros
http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakka=LinuxOU

Anyway well done on connecting
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#7 Post by MU »

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. I can connect to a FirstClass server on a computer wired to my school board's WAN, but not at home through DSL. I have tried many different protocols and connection settings with no luck. Has anyone else got this to work?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

that sounds like the school board's firewall is configured to block outside connections

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

But my Windows version works fine with the same settings.