GnuPG

For discussions about security.
labbe5

GnuPG

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://www.linux.com/learn/how-send-an ... data-gnupg

A good guide to understand how to use GnuPG.

april

#2 Post by april »

This is the guts of it and easy to understand

[quote]GnuPG is ready to serve. The first thing you must do is generate a keypair. As I already mentioned, the key pair is the heart and soul of GnuPG. This key pair consists of two very important pieces:

Private key

Public key

It is with these two keys that you can encrypt/decrypt information. It works in a very specific way. Let me explain. Both keys are associated with your email address. The private key is that which (as the name suggests) you keep to yourself (and do not share with anyone). The public key, on the other hand, is the key that you share with other people that want to send you encrypted messages. They, in turn, will send you their public keys (so that you can send them encrypted information). Once you’ve exchanged keys, it works like this:

Suppose you want to send an encrypted message to Britta. Britta has given you her public key and you have given her yours. You open up Thunderbird (for which you have installed the Enigmail add-on), type up your message to Britta, and click to encrypt the message. Because you have Britta’s public key, the message will encrypt (using that key) and you can send it on. When Britta opens that email, because she has the matching private key, the email will be decrypted.

In other words, only the person holding the matching private key will be able to decrypt the information within that email. That is why it is so important to safeguard your private key. It is also the reason they are called “key pairs.

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

You can store your _public_ key on a key server such as https://pgp.mit.edu/. I also have mine in plain text on my site.

Your private key is a different matter. It must be stored on your machine - securely.

I use a version of sylpheed compiled against the correct libs to decrypt/encrypt messages if needed.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Scooby

#4 Post by Scooby »

micko are you having any luck getting your less techno-expertly friends using encryption with emails?

I find this hard

april

#5 Post by april »

Scooby wrote:micko are you having any luck getting your less techno-expertly friends using encryption with emails?

I find this hard
I find it hard just trying to get the family to recognise and accept its need.

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

Scooby wrote:micko are you having any luck getting your less techno-expertly friends using encryption with emails?

I find this hard
Nope. :(

I guess people don't realise emails from an email server are sent in plain text and potentially readable by anyone with the skills to intercept them.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gyro

#7 Post by gyro »

I use Thunderbird + Enigmail plugin to sign my e-mail with GnuPG.
But getting others to install GnuPG so they can check that a message that appears to come from me, actually comes from me, (well actually my desktop computer), is impossible.
gyro

fudoki

Trying to get others to encrypt private email

#8 Post by fudoki »

gyro wrote:I use Thunderbird + Enigmail plugin to sign my e-mail with GnuPG.
But getting others to install GnuPG so they can check that a message that appears to come from me, actually comes from me, (well actually my desktop computer), is impossible.
gyro
Even when discussing the MOST CRITICAL INFORMATION IMAGINABLE - my brother's divorce filings, new development projects, important business decisions involving $$$ - I cannot get ONE SINGLE PERSON over the past DECADE to "go to all that trouble" to encrypt/decrypt email messages on even the most important information.

One assumes a good proportion of Australians on here, but speaking of Americans - they are so darn LAZY, even with their most personal data, even financial data - the marketers have already won...

april

#9 Post by april »

Its possible this may change soon. Hope so

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 082204.htm