How do I boot from HD, save settings?

Booting, installing, newbie
Josh

How do I boot from HD, save settings?

#1 Post by Josh »

OK, so I got it to run, but now I have another question, how do I get it to boot without using the disk. and how do I get it to save my preferences, like for GAIM ... everytime I open a new window, I have to tell it to turn off the sound ( cuz its annoying lol )
anyways, everything works great, I was just curious.
Thanks for your help :)
Oh, and while I'm thinking about it .... can you change the background?
the bird is kinda gay lol
thanks

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

If you have it installed to a hard drive it will store all your settings there.

If you are booting from a floppy you can run the install again and take the option to use the Grub bootloader which will write to your master boot record, you will have to tell grub to boot Windows as well if you have it installed.

If you don't want to write to the master boot record you could create a bootable CD using Grub, it boots faster than a floppy.

To change the background, edit the file /etc/background and change the name of the file in_flight.jpg.

Look in /usr/share/images to see an alternate file and if you wish to add your own this is where to place them.

The sounds I am not sure of, if you are referring to the sounds in Gaim they can be edited in Buddy List under Tools Preferences.

Josh

Response...

#3 Post by Josh »

I'm not booting from a floppy, I'm booting from the cd that I burned puppy too ... I dont want to have to put that cd in everytime I fire up the machine just to get to puppy though, I want it to automatically do it ..... I found in the setup options a "install to hd" option, so I'm trying that right now, however the first time I tried it, it didnt work. So anyways, I'm gonna try it again, and see what happens.

#4 Post by Guest »

On the background image try going to the menu, control panel, desktop background image.