Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Oct 2014, 18:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Puppy and Dos (solved- see"Business Puppy" thread)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
EarlSmith

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2005, 23:25    Post subject:  Puppy and Dos (solved- see"Business Puppy" thread)  

Has anyone seen any info on the forum about opening a dos window in Puppy? I may be just overlooking it, but some other distros have some kind of dos emulation. If i could open such a window, I could install win 3.11 and run my Quickbooks 5.0 program until Linux has a good bookeeping program. Its the only program I need windows for and I think it would be a step in the right direction. I wouldn't need to reboot to use QB.
<<solved>> check "Business Puppy" topic

Last edited by EarlSmith on Sat 09 Jul 2005, 02:51; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2005, 02:10    Post subject:  

Nope puppy doesn't have dosemu or wine or QEMU or Bochs or VMware..so ya kinda out of luck at the moment
Anna Merikin

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul 2005, 13:00    Post subject: Dos on Puppy  

I have used DOSemu on several other distros and it is always problematic; F'rexample my main DOS app is WordPerfect-5.1, which needs to use the shift, alt, ctrl and F-keys to function at all. DOSemu usually reserves these keys for linux and, although using the DOSemu boot option -k lets WP and other apps see and use those keys, DOSemu MUST then be run in text mode, not in a DOS box in x-windows, because x-windows, which uses these keys, too, will NOT release them for DOSbox or xDOS. I find this a pain on a big (15-inch) monitor as the DOS font is HUGE. And, of course, with the posix keys disabled, one must have x-windows running first or one can never switch consoles once in DOSemu and the whole linux OS shebang then becomes single-tasking b/c you have to kill DOS to use Linux (think about it.)

DOSemu is pretty good, but for ease you will want to use a DOS image (ISO) file; download and install the Freedos package associated with the DOSemu you choose. Of course, you can install any DOS from diskettes in the usual DOS way (starting DOSemu with a boot floppy disk under a running linux) but doing so will suck up a lot of disk space.

Installing DOSemu binaries should be easy and almost any recent version might be gotten to work under Puppy. Try downloading the binary from http://rpmfind.net suitable for Mandrake-9.1 (on which Puppy was once built) and running it from /root/my-applications/var .

Read the install from rpm txt instructions included in most Puppy versions.

To save space, DOSemu can run programs from a mounted FAT partition.

If your dos program does not need to use the F- or ctrl, shift and alt keys, you should be good to go.

Installing Win-3.x on DOSemu is going into nearly uncharted territory. Hint: You will need a little set of programs called os2win.zip (google for it) that are a must to even try to get it to work.

Let us know how if you get it to work on puppy -- and keep good notes so you can tell us.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: