Slacko32/64 700 BETA 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

2 problems on a pristine booted 7a1 Slacko64 - Video SOLVED!

#61 Post by gcmartin »

I'm having 2 issues with S64-7a1.
  1. (Solved: explained here)One is a video issue where the screens map exceeds the screen's view (which is listed as 1920X1080 on both LG TVs)
  2. AND the other a sound problem where I am clueless in using the wizard as the screen options are too varied and dont lead to a solution.
The following pictures show both the video problem AND the audio problem screens.

The video is suppose to show this (taken from a screen capture)

BUT, this is all I see

So I ask for some guidance in either of these 2 problems.
  • Video: Is there an option to reduce the screen map by 1-2%?Yes, this is a TV option setting in Picture on LG smart TVs. Changed to Cinema and immediately visible.
  • Audio: Is there some way to test individual options in real time to figure the path the OS wants to use to get to the TV's speakers via the HDMI port?
Or any other paths/ideas you recommend will be tested and reported back.

Thanks in advance
Edited: Showing that the video problem is solved
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#62 Post by 01micko »

zigbert wrote:Mick
If building from the rationalise branch, could you merge with testing branch to include pMusic 5.1.4? I would be happy to test 5.1.4 in a build.
It isn't ready to be merged yet in case 666philb wants to release somthing stable soon, but I suppose it can be cherry picked as long as we keep track of pmusic developments.

Alternatively, we can use a DOT PET to save merge issues.

---

@ gcmartin.. I am attaching a zarfy package. Please try it to see if resolution issues are resolved on screen. For sound issues, maybe @jlist can address that problem but he will want logs (IIRC there are some sound logs in /tmp)

EDIT: I re-read your post and you are using a TV. Try some of the TV settings as I have seen this before with the arm devices thru HDMI. It is known as 'overscan' (or is it underscan'? Well one of those :) )

-----

@all - the attached zarfy has a startup file in /root/.config/autostart. If there is a /root/.zarfy dir then zarfy -l gets run at X startup.
Attachments
zarfy-0.1.0-x86_64_s700.pet
(44.9 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#63 Post by 01micko »

@gyro..

How can we find programatically out what intel chips need this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Device" 
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics" 
   Driver      "intel" 
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa" 
EndSection
:?:

EDIT: or if not, maybe a button in quicksetup if intel is detected and the user has a poor display that creates the file and prompts an X restart?

jlst

#64 Post by jlst »

there is "report-video chip" which uses lspci. but if there are 2 graphics cards, it will list both i guess. It provides good info.

if $(report-video driver) = intel, then ask the user if they want to use a special config file for intel graphics

smokey01

#65 Post by smokey01 »

Here is a solution without using zarfy. All it does is swap the monitors, nothing else.

#!/bin/sh
# Written by smokey01
# 01 September 2016
# It requires xrandr 1.5 or later

[ -z $GTKDIALOG ] && GTKDIALOG=gtkdialog

# This creates a list of your connected monitors
xrandr --listmonitors | awk '{print $NF}' | tail -n +2 > /tmp/list

# This generates a combobox list of monitors 
MONITORS="<item>$monitor</item>"
for I in $(cat /tmp/list) ; do MONITORS=`echo "$MONITORS<item>$I</item>"`; done

# This is the function that swaps the monitors and saves the results in /root/Startup/setmonitors
SWAP () {
	xrandr --output $MONITOR0 --auto --output $MONITOR1 --auto --right-of $MONITOR0
	echo xrandr --output $MONITOR0 --auto --output $MONITOR1 --auto --right-of $MONITOR0 > /root/Startup/setmonitors
	chmod 755 /root/Startup/setmonitors
}
export -f SWAP

MAIN_DIALOG='
<window icon-name="gtk-preferences" title="Swap Monitors" width-request="215">
	<vbox>
		<hbox>
			<combobox width-request="100" tooltip-text="Select Left Monitor">
				<variable>MONITOR0</variable>
				'$MONITORS'
			</combobox>
			<combobox width-request="100" tooltip-text="Select Right Monitor">
				<variable>MONITOR1</variable>
				'$MONITORS'
			</combobox>
		</hbox>	
		<hbox>
			<button>
			<input file stock="gtk-quit"></input>
			<label>Quit</label>
			</button>
			<button>
			<input file stock="gtk-network"></input>
			<label>Swap</label>
			<action>SWAP</action>
			</button>
		</hbox>
	</vbox>
</window>
'
export MAIN_DIALOG

case $1 in
	-d | --dump) echo "$MAIN_DIALOG" ;;
	*) $GTKDIALOG --program=MAIN_DIALOG ;;
esac

01micko

#66 Post by 01micko »

jlst wrote:there is "report-video chip" which uses lspci. but if there are 2 graphics cards, it will list both i guess. It provides good info.

if $(report-video driver) = intel, then ask the user if they want to use a special config file for intel graphics
Yeah, pretty much what I was getting at in my edit of the above post.

gcmartin

#67 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @01Micko. Video problem is solved just as you indicated for LG TVs. Solution: I changed the Picture mode to Cinema in TV's settings.Screen maps properly, now, on the monitor.

BTW, this system is "really" fast on this platform. There is NO permanent storage, ONLY RAM.

@JLST, tell me what I can produce to help identify the sound needs in @Slacko64 via the HDMI path. The screens shared, here, show what Slacko's sound wizard offers, but I cannot find a selection path to any success. The wizard seems logically laid out, but, HDMI selections in step 1 of the wizard will not get sound at step 2 of the wizard. And step 3 does not help the problem.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

mavrothal

#68 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:@gyro..

How can we find programatically out what intel chips need this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device" 
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics" 
   Driver      "intel" 
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa" 
EndSection
:?:
The above solution works in some machines but generates other problems in others. In an intel iris pro card makes all non-3:4 resolution inaccessible.
You actually need to find the modline for a given resolution and then craft a "10-monitor.conf" to work.
Talking about video issues on a dual card machine (intel/Ati mobility). Ati is not seen at all. If I balcklist intel I get a black screen. To make things worse catalyst does not compile in 6.9.5 (looks like that 4+ kernels are not supported).
These might be related to lspci that appears broken as it only reports hex codes and even with -v/-vv is of little use.

In case next time is much latter, a little (old) cosmetic issue with the buntu theme. The side panel covers the first partition icon and comes up too easily when try to access the Applications menu
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

ETP

#69 Post by ETP »

Hi mavrothal,
In case next time is much latter, a little (old) cosmetic issue with the buntu theme. The side panel covers the first partition icon and comes up too easily when try to access the Applications menu
I have yet to try this Pup but in other Pups you can change the ICON_PLACE_START_GAP in etc/eventmanager.

On line 45? increase the default from 32. That may be possible with this Pup.
Not a complete solution but it will at least nudge the drive/partition icons over.
Attachments
image-24.png
(42.85 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

gyro

#70 Post by gyro »

@01micko,

Re video:
I've got no idea how to test for this, but I found this issue and this solution some time ago with xenialpup. I simply know that I probably need this with new puppies on my hardware.
It's been rather a pain with pupmode=5 boot.
Just realised, I should put it in a ydrv, so it will work with pupmode=5.

gyro

gyro

#71 Post by gyro »

@smokey01,

I'll add that to my ydrv and give it a go.

gyro

gyro

#72 Post by gyro »

Re intel video:
On my machine when I've had the problem the terminal continued to work, so may be a simple cli script that is available to write the file.
If user has the problem, open terminal, run the script, restart X.

gyro

zigbert

#73 Post by zigbert »

I have added pMusic 5.1.4 to rationalise branch

gyro

#74 Post by gyro »

@smokey01,
That script worked.
There was some hesitation on first run because I wasn't sure which monitor had witch name. So I tried it one way, and the "swap" button did nothing, so I tried the other way and the "swap" button did the swap.
Subsequent boots continued to show the monitors correctly.

Re Intel video:
It could be corageous to try to automatically generate the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf.
It would be safer to do it at the users behest. The challange is how to do it?
The symptoms of this issue were different accross xenial and slacko64, somethings will draw ok, somethings won't. So, adding a button to a gui may not help, if that particular gui will not draw.
But then, assuming the button runs a script to do it, then maybe they could use a terminal window to run the script directly, if they can't see the button.

Notes:
1. loading geany consistently had difficulties drawing it's main screen.
2. my video controller identifies itself as: "VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 041e (rev 06)"
3. It's not a kernel thing, the same kernel has no problems on tahr but does on xenial.

gyro

gcmartin

#75 Post by gcmartin »

As we are becoming more and more aware, should FirstRUN have some new options to facilitate distro starts. For example some members have several monitors. HDMI/DVI is bringing different looks for sound. Should FirstRUN present options or trigger message+additional wizards after FirstRUN processing to alert user of items they need consider?

I foresee the potential for user questions that FirstRUN might avert, thus relieving development to answer.

I am in appreciation for what you are doing.

jlst

#76 Post by jlst »

this is smokey01's script slightly edited for woofce
it should work with any xrandr version..
Attachments
xswapmonitors.gz
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

jlst

#77 Post by jlst »

gcmartin wrote:
@JLST, tell me what I can produce to help identify the sound needs in @Slacko64 via the HDMI path.
Making HDMI audio output work can be a bit complicated. I've seen people using pavucontrol (pulseaudio). i'm aware that some solutions include adding a kernel parameter, specific switches to the driver in alsa-base.conf and a special asound.conf for that specific case.

I just added a "Test Sound" button.

Open MSCW and click on the report button, it will give some clues about the hardware and configuration..
Last edited by jlst on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#78 Post by gcmartin »

@JLST, is the "Test Sound" button the same as shown in this picture at the step 2 level? Seen in the pic, here.

Curious

jlst

#79 Post by jlst »

- Install the attached pet pkg
- Open Multiple Sound Card Wizard
- Click on the Report button
- Attach the produced text file here (it will provide useful info to address your issue..)

You can also test the "Test Sound" button now. Just select an item and click on the "Test Sound" button. If the specific card/pcm_device work, you will hear "woof woof", then next step is to select the working device. Just to test.
Attachments
mscw_ce-2016sept01.pet
(6.3 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

smokey01

#80 Post by smokey01 »

jlst wrote:this is smokey01's script slightly edited for woofce
it should work with any xrandr version..
I've moved this thread as it not only related to slacko-700a.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108069