Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Jul 2019, 17:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-710 beta [28 August 2016] [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
artsown

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct 2016, 19:56    Post subject:  

pup-advert-blocker is a popular and effective script that (I think) would
be a good addition to FD64.

Art
Sunny

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct 2016, 22:02    Post subject: xine-lib & libdvdcss problem when playing DVD  

In Fatdog64-710b, the xine-lib package in the repository is not compatible with the version of libdvdcss that is installed.

To demonstrate the problem:
I booted with "savefile=none" kernel parameter and then used Gslapt to install xine-ui and xine-lib (version 1.2.6). Doesn't matter if you use xine-ui or gxine.

When starting xine, error messages pop up that indicate that libdvdread can not access the dvd properly. (Note that mplayer and VLC work just fine when playing this same dvd in this setup).

To resolve the problem, I used Gslapt to remove libdvdcss (version 1.4.0 x86_64). I then went into the Fatdog64 700 Repository (note this is the repository for the older fatdogs) and downloaded libdvdcss (version 1.3.0 x86_64). When I installed this older version of libdvdcss then xine worked properly. (Note that mplayer and VLC still work properly with this older version of libdvdcss installed)
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2016, 08:50    Post subject:  

Thanks, somebody else found the problem too (and with the fix).
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/libdvdcss-devel/2016-April/001641.html.
Will be fixed in next release.

Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2016, 13:21    Post subject: I will load it as soon as finale released  

Fatdog64-710 beta. I will load it as soon as finale released . Yet tested in the past. Was diificult enough for a Puppy user. But so many people enjoy fatdog..
Sunny

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2016, 18:25    Post subject: Nvidia driver 304 and Fatdog64-701b  

The Nvidia 304 driver will not install on kernels newer than 4.3 and will indicate MTRR errors. To use this legacy driver on Fatdog64-710b, a patch needs to be installed on the Nvidia driver as discussed in this thread. To summarize, the following are the steps required to patch the Nvidia driver for Fatdog64-710:

1) From the Nvidia site, download the Linux x86_64 driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131.run) and extract the contents to a local folder:

> sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131.run --extract-only

2) Download the MTRR-Patch. The patch (named nvidia_mtrr_k4_3.patch.gz) can be found (near the bottom of the page):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405&start=75

Download the nvidia_mtrr_k4_3.patch.gz file, rename it to nvidia_mtrr_k4_3.patch and then move it to the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131/kernel/ folder.

3) Go to the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131/kernel/ folder and apply the patch:

> patch -p1 < nvidia_mtrr_k4_3.patch

4) Go back to the directory containing the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131 folder and create a patched run file:

> sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131/makeself.sh --target-os Linux \
--target-arch x86_64 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131 \
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131-patched.run \
"NVIDIA driver 304.131 patched for k4.3+" ./nvidia-installer

5) This creates a new run file named NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131-patched.run that will install normally. (Boot fatdog64 with the "blacklist=nouveau" kernel parameter, then exit to terminal mode and execute the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.131-patched.run file) Remember that you will need to load the kernel source & devx .sfs packages before trying to install the Nvidia driver.
step

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2016, 18:48    Post subject:  

Thanks sunny, I don't have my nvidia with me to test your recipe right away, but I plan on compiling the driver to get cuda support, so your directions are most welcome.
eowens2

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:33    Post subject:  

I have been trying out Fatdog64 710 beta 2 (2016-Oct-21), installed on a USB stick from a live CD.

In general, things are working well.

However, the wifi profile and settings do not survive a reboot. The system does not automatically reconnect to the router after reboot, and I have to rerun the network wizard to reestablish a wifi connection each time.

The ‘fd64save’ folder (on same partition as /boot) seems to be working normally, and ‘remembers’ other files created during a session when I had an established wifi connection.

Any suggestions as to how to make my wifi connection data persistent would be appreciated.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:47    Post subject:  

Moved to it's proper place here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=931757#931757

I should close this thread now that we have beta2.

PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2016, 20:45    Post subject: I plan to switch to the newest Fatdog64, ie. 710
Subject description: But I have two fairly minor issues before I do that

eowens2 wrote:
I have been trying out Fatdog64 710 beta 2 (2016-Oct-21), installed on a USB stick from a live CD.

In general, things are working well.

However, the wifi profile and settings do not survive a reboot. The system does not automatically reconnect to the router after reboot, and I have to rerun the network wizard to reestablish a wifi connection each time.

The ‘fd64save’ folder (on same partition as /boot) seems to be working normally, and ‘remembers’ other files created during a session when I had an established wifi connection.

Any suggestions as to how to make my wifi connection data persistent would be appreciated.

1) In the eventmanager script of that name in /etc, there is the following:
###
# This parameter is read by /sbin/fatdog-udevd-helper.sh
# Periodic save of RAM layer to savefile, in minutes. 0=no periodic save...
RAMSAVEINTERVAL='10'

Is there really a script named fatdog-udevd-helper.sh, and if so, why can't I grep it? Did it get deprecated and replaced by a binary equivalent?

2) Are others having problems with wifi persistence? As of fatdog 7.02 which is my current version, there is no problem with that.

Just curious about these two issues as I have good wifi persistence but no ram saving per time interval at all. If they have the script in the latest beta, I would trade off the wifi persistence as I don't need it as much as I need the ram saving periodically (not just on shutdown). I realize we can run scripts to drive our own saves using the scripts in the sbin dirs but I thought it would trigger the saves periodically. Perhaps my distro is missing something that exists in the newer one, or already did exist, but is missing for some unexplained reason.
Page 10 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: