Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 26 May 2017, 05:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
[closed] source code stripping program or script?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
scsijon

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 02:28    Post subject:  [closed] source code stripping program or script?  

Does anyone know of a genetic or have a 'program/script' that will look inside a sourcefile and strip out into a text file any of the prerequisites and versions, -xxx switches etc., listed in the config and makefiles.

I want to do a fairly complicated build update of something I built back when puppy version 3.01 was around, and am finding the need to open each, then drill down and back up for each internal directory set for each package manually "somewhat wearysome" to say the least!

thanks
scsijon

Last edited by scsijon on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 23:59; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 03:34    Post subject:  

I think ./configure --help usually tells you the build options? And [programname] --help usually tells you the program options after? And there's usually a file called INSTALL or README included with the source code that gives build instructions. And new2dir is a handy way to strip execs and separate the dev, doc, nls files from the needed ones when doing make install. It might be easier if you separate your questions into 1. 2. 3. format though so you can get clearer answers to each one.
amigo

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 03:35    Post subject:  

This is why build scripts are so important -repeatability and the nice notes you wrote there to yourself as you were figuring it out back then. Plus, accurate build-depends and depends info which could have been generated and stored at the same time.
There is no program which will accurately do what you want. Kepp running ./configure and compiling/installing the missing stuff until done -and do that from a nice build script where you write nice notes to yourself -you *will* be back here trying to build this again in a few years.
scsijon

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2016, 23:58    Post subject:  

that's what i thought, I shall persevere!;

I do have my notes from then so that part's not the problem, I have most of my notes going back to the old PDP, CDC and ICL systems I looked after in the '70's. At least we don't have to punch cards nowadays to load a program!

Amigo, the biggest problem is that most of the packages have considerably changed in the last nine years and just seem to have hortendous numbers of extra prerequisite packages that means I have to deeply look inside each to work out what I can switch off or just have to add to the build list and then look inside each of them.....etc.

What was a 25~28meg iso now look at being double in size, and for an old soupped-up 256meg ram PII repeater, even when built I am beginning to wonder if it will run when loaded, and all for a last six months until the site closes.

I shall give it another week of 'playing about' and if not may just sugest it's an uneconomical proposition to upgrade it this late in it's life. The fun then would be working out what's going to replace the thick ethernet repeater.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: