Puppy running on 32MB RAM without swap?

Booting, installing, newbie
moesothermail

Puppy running on 32MB RAM without swap?

#1 Post by moesothermail »

I have the following device: ISS-102R-300 with 32MB of RAM.

I installed Puppy 2.02 on a 128 MB Compact Flash card. The card has the following partitions: 80MB fat16 for Puppy and 48MB in ext2.

After initially having trouble, I finally got Puppy to boot (thanks to Jesse’s solution)

Why does Puppy run when I only have 32MB of RAM? The 48 MB partition on my Compact Flash card is not Linux Swap. Does Puppy automatically use it as swap anyway?

I don’t want to use my CF card for swap as I am afraid all the reads and writes will cook it. How can I run Puppy on my device?

CPU: NS Geode GX1-300MHz
RAM: 32MB
Boot device: 128MB Compact Flash Card
Hard drive: none
CD drive: none

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I'm no expert but I suppose that since it can't load entirely into RAM, Puppy defaults to loading into RAM only enough to do whatever you're doing at the time. As long as this does not involve writing something back to the flash memory then no problem. Barry has intentionally designed Puppy to minimize writes to CD or (USB) flash memory. Basically Puppy only saves to them when you tell it to.

raffy

as IDE, yes

#3 Post by raffy »

If your CF is identified as IDE, then what you described (swap being used) can happen. There is a value in your cfg file that tells Puppy about the device to expect. See the boot-time parameters. Check on it at boot-up. Press any key to pause the boot process. There must also be a command there for not using swap.

In general, adding at boot-time "puppy pfix=ram" will keep Puppy in RAM.

Hey, that PC you're using is interesting! Tell us more how it performs. Is there a way to add memory to it? Given that its speed is quite low (but requires low power, too), you will benefit from added memory.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

moesothermail

#4 Post by moesothermail »

Thanks for the information raffy and Flash.

The CF card is recognized as IDE so I will look into the boot-time parameters as you suggest raffy. Once I have made the changes how can I check to be sure that Puppy is not using swap?

Do you suggest any specific bare-bones Puppy for my PC?

Yes, the memory is upgradeable. I’ll buy some soon, but for now the 32MB will have to suffice.

If you are interested, take a peek at the product sheet for the PC. The device has all the connections of most full size computers, plus three 10/100Mbps Ethernet interfaces, which is good for router/firewall/VPN applications. It uses little power and has no fan so it is completely silent. I also have the chassis which fits in a 5.25” drive bay! (Although I haven’t thought of a practical application for this feature)

darkerror05

#5 Post by darkerror05 »

the way puppy can run on your system in because when there is a drive puppy makes a swap file. A swap file is like ram on the CF card. Also if there is not CF/hard drive and there is not enough ram to run from ram puppy will run right from the CD. Hope this clears it up.
-darkerror

raffy

device codes

#6 Post by raffy »

Am not very sure about the device codes, but removing the device entry in the CFG file will make Puppy auto-identify the device.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

can8v

#7 Post by can8v »

moesothermail,
What monitor do you use with this pc, curious if you are using LCD or CRT, and also if you have had any issues like network setup or anything like that using puppy. I have 256mb sdram and a 512mb CF card, I am thinking about getting one of these to use for a print server/router/firewall I would like to install it in a window box (not a MIcrosft Windows box, but one of those picture frame mounted boxes you install in your wall to display your keepsakes) with nothing exposed, but an LCD monitor, and use it with a wireless keyboard and mouse, this would also double as an electronic picture frame displaying all of my family photos right there in the window box. what do you think?
-Jason