corepup

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mcewanw

gtkdialog

#361 Post by mcewanw »

Hi wanderer/anyone-interested,

Here is a gtkdialog sce. It's the one used in XenialDog converted to an sce, which I'm using on my dCore-xenial system. It will work with ash, though if you want to use Puppy gtkdialog utilities on your corepup, most of these will require you to use bash (and modify your system to use default shell bash rather than sh).

EDIT: Since it was converted from a single deb file, it may need extra dependencies installed. I don't remember (but I don't think it did) - just let me know if you have problems with it.

William

EDIT2: More details and the actual gtkdialog sce download now in my dCore-xenial HowTo here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 639#946639
Last edited by mcewanw on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#362 Post by mcewanw »

Note that you need both the sce and the sce.md5.txt to put into your /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/sce folder for the gtkdialog sce in the post above to be recognised (followed by an sce-load command).
github mcewanw

wanderer

#363 Post by wanderer »

cool mcewanw

messing with it now

wanderer

mcewanw

#364 Post by mcewanw »

I always enjoyed playing with tinycore in the past, though considered it a bit of an effort to build a working system. I'm REALLY enjoying my dCore-xenial system - it's so close to using a proper Debian-live compatible system like XenialDog but more like playing with a Lego kit, which I love. Once it is built up, it's a great toy and also a serious work/user-desktop platform. Look and feel is just a matter of loading and configuring the desktop window manager you prefer, but I have to say I kind of enjoy the frugal utility of flwm-topside, but I am looking forward to trying out your corepup build wanderer, and specially the configuration and build you use for JWM.

The other aspect of 'puppyfying' is the ability to handle Puppy utilities - I'll provide more information on that later (I'm busy trying to get my own wex program to work (which is a complex util since it allows recording audio/video and screencast with ffmpeg at SSR type quality) - almost there (have gtkdialog working with loaded bash okay), but have a wee problem I'm trying to suss out just now - not sure what the issue is yet though). Generally speaking, I think it is usually best just to rely on the utils provided by tinycore devs instead - some Puppy utils unfortunately assume running as root user (wex doesn't though).

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#365 Post by wanderer »

mcewanw

its great your doing the dcore thing
it was a little beyond me

by the way
how do i put a picture on the thread
i have some screenshots of corepup

wanderer

mcewanw

#366 Post by mcewanw »

wanderer wrote:mcewanw

its great your doing the dcore thing
it was a little beyond me

by the way
how do i put a picture on the thread
i have some screenshots of corepup

wanderer
Just make a jpeg of dimensions no more than 800 pixels wide, and add as attachment wanderer.

William
github mcewanw

wanderer

#367 Post by wanderer »

hi all

this is a screenshot of corepup
with artwork and hacked jwm and wbar

wanderer
Attachments
s1.png
(47.42 KiB) Downloaded 240 times

wanderer

#368 Post by wanderer »

here is another with another background
Attachments
s3.png
(93.9 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

James C

#369 Post by James C »

Attachments
smaller image.jpg
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

wanderer

#370 Post by wanderer »

thanks james c

couldnt figure it out

wanderer

James C

#371 Post by James C »

wanderer wrote:thanks james c

couldnt figure it out

wanderer
No problem.
Attachments
smaller.jpg
(30.91 KiB) Downloaded 329 times

mcewanw

EDE small and fast desktop environment

#372 Post by mcewanw »

Yes, JWM is quite nice and reasonably efficient. But what I love about Fast Light Window Manager FLWM (with topside decorations), which should not to be confused with FVWM is highlighted here:
The "taskbar" (or iconbox), "start menu", Alt+Tab window switching, multiple desktop switching, "panel", and "start menu" are all merged into a singe pop-up menu that takes zero space when not being used. Same popup menu can be brought up by clicking on desktop, right-clicking on window border, or Alt+Tab
So even if you have an app window fullscreen, simply clicking Alt-Tab brings up that pop-up menu (maybe JWM can do similar? I haven't tried but usually end up wasting time minimising window to get back to JWM panel or desktop background... annoying...).

I'm pretty sure you could add a panel (like tint2) to flwm_topside if you wanted that.

Of course JWM looks friendlier to ex-Windows users (really harks back to Win98 look). If you like that and want a pretty complete desktop environment also using FLTK then EDE looks interesting (I haven't yet tried it):

https://equinox-project.org/

http://equinox-project.org/wiki/AboutEde

Unfortunately, I can't find a version from tinycore repositories. Indeed, may need to be compiled from source unless this experimental Debian (Jessie) version would do:

http://ede.elderlinux.org/repos/_experi ... ssie/i386/

For that Debian version, also see:

http://equinox-project.org/wiki/edeondebianlinux

Source code here:

http://equinox-project.org/wiki/download

An older basic JWM is also pretty great in terms of efficiency of course...

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

FLIT: an FLTK-native "tray

#373 Post by mcewanw »

FLIT: an FLTK-native "tray" with clock, sound control, and battery monitor
is available from tinycore repository. I obtained a copy here for converting to an sce for my dCore-xenial system (which uses flwm_topside window manager):

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/7.x/x86/tcz/

I've still to try it though.

EDIT: okay, quickly changed the tcz to an sce simply by renaming the extension to .sce instead of .tcz and creating an md5.txt file using command:

Code: Select all

md5sum flit.sce > flit.sce.md5.txt
It is as trivial as that to convert any core tcz into an sce suitable for use in dCore... (and the other way round for converting sce into tcz of course, which should usually remain compatible as long as using same dCore and core versions since same kernel and more used in both - many simple extensions will work in both anyway)

To use it just stuck flit.sce and flit.sce.md5.txt into /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/sce, and issued command "sce-load", chose flit and then ran the command in a console. Looks nice and neat and efficient. Don't know if can stay "on top" though.

William

NOTE/EDIT: Though 'free' and 'top' utilities are usually present anyway, one of the first system resources testing apps I always install on any system is "lxtask" task manager program - it has very few dependencies and runs very light. It can be downloaded from dCore repositories with:

sce-import -br lxtask
followed by sce-load to load it ready to run from console or wherever.

As for the time: you could always just type this in a console!

echo `/bin/date +'%I:%M:%S%p'`
Above from the more sophisticated version running in small aterm:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... 794.0.html

or C program:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... 0.html#new
github mcewanw

wanderer

#374 Post by wanderer »

wow mcewanw

reading all your stuff now

its hugh

thanks much

wanderer

wanderer

#375 Post by wanderer »

oh by the way
one of the reasons im messing with jwm is because
its written in c only needs xlib and i can hack it
i intend to try to do some major hacks on it
to do cool things and also learn c
i have a few other little c programs
that i intend to make part of corepup
like lovell's libc editor and a tiny shell
i want to write stuff in busybox ash and tcc-run c
in the spirit of minimalism

wanderer

mcewanw

#376 Post by mcewanw »

Yes, jwm is great, and for all the reasons you mention wanderer. I will probably use it in the end also, but just becoming familiar also with flwm_topside so I can use it on occasion without pain!

I consider tinycore made a mistake in their flwm_topside compile - they made windows popup when clicked with a mouse (which I realise is what most people expect). However, their is no 'put window on top facility' so the advertised good feature flwm had was to NOT raise windows unless the actual title bar was clicked, which allows keeping window on top... I guess it is a compiled in option change on flwm_topside, which I find a real pain - it is such an efficient wm though that I may end up re-compiling it. Also worth learning fltk programming I expect - should be a lot simpler than gtk and much much simpler that qt - worth studying some tinycore utilities.

William
github mcewanw

wanderer

#377 Post by wanderer »

hi mcewanw and all

just compiled jwm 0.21 with
no options
goingnuts make code
and strip

and the binary is 90.28 k
from emelfm
cool

edit
uh oh du gives 96 k
still great

thanks all

wanderer

wanderer

#378 Post by wanderer »

hi mcewanw

what i am doing is isolated tinycore utilities and functions
(which are dependent ash scripts)
and turning them into independent ash scripts
no gui just a menu in the terminal
then they will be able to be called by
my master ash script
and through jwm

that is how i will build corepup

very cool very instructive very useful

will keep everyone updated

wanderer

mcewanw

ntfs in read/write mode

#379 Post by mcewanw »

Hi wanderer,

Just a link regarding ntfs since many may want to use that read/write and by default tinycore has such partitions as read-only. Easy to change that (dCore info here, since that is what I use):

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:ser ... &s[]=write

Just do a search on ntfs write on the tinycore forum and you should find similar info for tinycore itself.

William
github mcewanw

wanderer

#380 Post by wanderer »

thanks mcewanw

checking it out now

wanderer