corepup

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wanderer

#631 Post by wanderer »

i do have one question though

why is anyone interested in corepup at all ?
why not just use one of the puppies presently being developed
and not even read this thread ?

if anyone has the inclination
please post your answer
i really am interested

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#632 Post by wanderer »

hi all

i have uploaded the corepup-8.iso
to the smokey01 site

this is the totally minimal corepup
just the core
console only no x

only 10 m

this completes the corepup triad
which are modifications of

core
tinycore and
coreplus

the only other iso that needs to be included is the dcore iso
which is used for downloading and packaging debs

keep the faith

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#633 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wanderer wrote:i do have one question though

why is anyone interested in corepup at all ?
why not just use one of the puppies presently being developed
and not even read this thread ?
thats a great question, which i hope people will try to answer. i have some thoughts about it too.

ive watched puppy change from a three year old pup (when i started using it) to the present. since i started using puppy ive learned python, moved across the country, gotten married, nearly had children and also divorced.

ive watched this forum change, mostly for the better and mostly from afar.

one thing that hasnt changed here is that practically everyone is an armchair developer. me too- when i was originally a puppy fan the main thing i wanted to do was make it more modular! i wanted to rearrange everything into 3 sfs files, so you could have a small/medium/large puppy. all youd need to change size is open isomaster and delete one or two sfs files.

this way, puppy could become fully cd-sized without ever affecting people who preferred the size of puppy as it was then, and didnt want it to change.

today, mcorepup (whether used on corepup, or applied to puppy) is capable of creating that iso. i can actually do that with a variety of distros-- i still prefer cd-sized isos to dvd-sized ones.

and corepup is very much like what i wanted from puppy a decade ago, except more modular. when i said that was my hope for puppy back then, they told me it was being worked on. i got the dsl book and told roberts about it, he told me to look forward to the new dsl-like distro he was working on, youre using it now.

so, here we are. im still an armchair developer, only now i have my own programming language and distro remastering tool-- which thanks to corepup, now supports not only genisoimage but two other iso tools (because tinycore uses mkisofs.)

i think many of us are young at heart (im still not 40 yet) but if people want to compare us all to a bunch of crotchety old folks (apologies to non-crochety old folks who have a more active lifestyle than i do, i know barry can hike a lot farther) sitting around and statler and waldorfing every distro on earth from the balcony-- perhaps the shoe fits.

id like people to be more honest and thoughtful about things like that, but some things (like systemd) dont deserve an easy time.

communities change, distros and people change-- even users change, though youd never believe it. (theyre very sneaky.) but what doesnt change is that people like having opinions.

sometimes the opinions are ridiculous, but often they have a point. two things i absolutely look up to you about is that a. you dont let anything stop you from doing what matters to you, and b. that youre very very very open to opinions. we ultimately all want that, even if we think we dont.

its better to be nice when we can. that said, no one cares what i think of debian but im going to say it anyway-- i used it for most of the years i wasnt here with puppy, and i have spent too much time using debian already. no more debian! (curiously, i will gladly use debian packages though.)

whats that got to do with it? simple-- people ultimately want to share their opinions. and thats why theyre here. (now, why do they want to do that? thats what youre really asking, i think...)

not to mention that im not the first person to bring up debian in this thread. personally? as someone who worked on a debian-based puppy in 2016, im glad that someones doing a non-debian one.
wanderer wrote: i have uploaded the corepup-8.iso
to the smokey01 site

this is the totally minimal corepup
just the core
console only no x

only 10 m

this completes the corepup triad
which are modifications of

core
tinycore and
coreplus
and thanks very much for what youre doing. you posted this while i was posting so i thought id add it.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

rockedge

#634 Post by rockedge »

I have been following the thread with interest. At the moment I am having trouble getting corepup to boot cleanly... I get stuck at a prompt for a "box login" looking for a password.

perhaps a set of install tips will help the cause...I am using GRUB4DOS and a HDD at the moment to see if I can get the corepup 6.4.1 to go.

any tips here will be appreciated....most OS's I can get going..... :)

nosystemdthanks

#635 Post by nosystemdthanks »

hi, ive had similar trouble. technically, you are booting properly i think.

a few things to consider:

1. i first used puppy with grub4dos-- it should probably work fine with corepup, theres even a post about it in this thread but you might be the first person to try corepup with grub4dos.

2. if its booting to an ascii penguin logo at the top (are you sure its a login? it should be an active prompt) then its recommended you create a /tce folder and copy the tce files from the cd. im nearly certain theres a way around this.

3. you might look for instructions about boot codes. im not sure the boot cd is the best place to put them...

4. right now, wanderer is mostly using it from cd or usb. im the hard drive user, ive used it with grub (not grub4dos) and syslinux on different occasions. my menuentry is at the bottom of this page: https://softwarefreedom.jcink.net/index ... owtopic=47 i dont know if it will help you, its for booting the iso from grub.

5. corepup-6 is small, 7 is minimal and 8 is the core-- 8 has no gui. if you downloaded the latest, this would be a good reason for the isos to follow this convention:
corepup-6full.iso
corepup-7minimal.iso
corepup-8textmode.iso

i hope you get it working.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

wanderer

#636 Post by wanderer »

hi all

this is my opinion on booting corepup
which is actually the hardest part to figure out

i know a lot of you guys like grub
and there is info on using it on the tinycore site

but please make a live usb or cd
and use the included syslinux or isolinux

then just turn it on and let it load
it should load fine

if you want to use boot codes
for making a home or tce directory on the hard drive
then at the menu
press tab
and in corepup-6 and corepup-7 (the gui versions)
enter home=sda1 tce=sda1
or whatever the hard drive partition is

in corepup-8 (the console version)
for boot codes you will have to
press tab at the intro message
and enter mc "bootcode"
for example mc home=sda1 tce=sda1

if you use this method at first
you can get up and running
and i can help a little

then at your leisure
you can go to the tinycore site
and find out how to use your preferred booting method

hope this helps

post if you have any questions

wanderer

wanderer

#637 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks

i know you prefer python
but have you looked at any of the scripts in corepup
they are written in busybox ash

one of particular interest to me is the script that loads the tcz
since this is really the heart of the system
i have been studying it
and slowly working it out

i just would like your opinion

also am i right when i read in your posts that
you actually knew roberts of dsl

anyway once again thanks for all your help

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#638 Post by nosystemdthanks »

i just would like your opinion
some people write really excellent c code and really excellent bash code.
also am i right when i read in your posts that
you actually knew roberts of dsl
its not like we were mates, i just had a question about something and asked him, and i told him dsl was cool and he told me his misgivings about it, and he told me to look forward to his new distro and i did.

i probably used tc exclusively for a while, a long time ago, and its a fantastic idea. i think your efforts with it are very positive.

wanderer

#639 Post by wanderer »

hi all

just an update on corepup

i have decided to move the overview list to the corepup-mods file
it is too long for the first post

in addition

all scripts howtos etc will be in the latest corepup-mods file
so you will only have to download it
and you will have an up to date overview of the corepup project

the corepups-mods file probably will keep being reorganized
so the best place to start in it is the readme.txt

i will post a new corepup-mods file today if i can

further

as of now the corepup isos do not need any modifications

so the next step is to work on the process of making new tcz for corepup

they can come from essentially 3 sources

1. a person can make their own from scratch

2. a person can convert a deb into a tcz

3. a person can convert an sfs to a tcz

the first choice just requires the info on how to make a tcz

the second is the function of dcore
(renaming and possibly tweaking an sce)

the third should be just the process of unsquashing and resquashing
(and possibly tweaking) the sfs file into a tcz

this is what i am working on now

in addition i am studying the scripts to see how the tcz are loaded
as far as i have been able to figure out so far
it looks like they are simply loaded as a squashfile

well my journey continues

post if you have questions or comments

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#640 Post by nosystemdthanks »

i would note that i was just running coreplus and closed the laptop lid, and-- yeah, i couldnt get it to respond or do anything after that.

probably a lack of power management tcz, which i can add and can recommend a package / installation command when i get it working.

i would recommend laptop users install something like that-- save your work (i was just loading a picture, not doing work) before closing your laptop until this is worked out.

wanderer

#641 Post by wanderer »

hi all

corepup-mods-9.tar.gz

uploaded to the smokey01 site

wanderer

rockedge

#642 Post by rockedge »

okay! really close to a successful boot of corepup 6.4.1 from a hard drive
filled with frugal Puppies using Grub4Dos

I get to a command line and stuff works but no GUI...

how is it supposed to look ? should I be starting with corepup plus 641?

nosystemdthanks

#643 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:I get to a command line and stuff works but no GUI...

how is it supposed to look ?
i only run it in icewm mode (its in the menu-- if you were trying to do a frugal install to match the boot cd options youd have one menuentry per desktop= line in the isolinux.fig but you really only need the one that you prefer-- so one menuentry as usual) but it has a stripped jwm (also a standard jwm-- there are two different jwm desktops to choose from)

and if you post the line that has the kernel options from your boot menu, we can possibly suggest changes.

id also make a /tce folder and copy the stuff from /cde to it. even for a frugal install.

corepup-6.iso is small
corepup-7.iso is minimal + gui
corepup-8.iso is textmode

wanderer

#644 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks

reading your mcorefig.pdf now

totally awesome

and very inspiring
(i may even be able to learn a little fig the language you created)

great work

thanks much

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#645 Post by nosystemdthanks »

edit: i notice youve changed your post; i like the new version even better.
wanderer wrote:hi nosystemdthanks

reading your mcorefig.pdf now

totally awesome

and very inspiring (i may even learn a little python)
cool. if you want to try python, here are the two tips for using inline python in fig:

1. fig doesnt care about indents but python does, so indent your python like this:

Code: Select all

python
1234while 1: 
1234    print "press ctrl-c to stop looping"
1234fig

2. fig usually only works with variables that you have started a line with, so if you want to reference variables created in your python code, zero the variable in fig first:

p 0
python
    from math import log10
    p += 5 % 2 
    fig
now = p ; print
3. the original fig manual (posted earlier in this thread) has a quick chapter on python.

theres a version 0.3 of mcorepup for corepup 0.8 thats almost ready, it gets the filesize down but doesnt create the different boot text for example. i could do that in the next hour, though i probably will wait a couple days.

it should be possible to use mcorepup 0.3 to make either corepup-7 or corepup-8 simply by removing wanderer-core from addchanges.

rockedge

#646 Post by rockedge »

Thanks for the patience .... I made it booting corepup 6.4.1 from a hard drive using my Grub4Dos menu

so on the hard drive which in this partition is formatted ext4 I have about 20 directories containing frugal Puppies and another 10 with DebianDog XenialDog TrinityDog and some other experimental OS built from DDog scripts or Woof-CE

in this partition I created a directory /Corepup and copied the contents of corepup 6.4.1 iso
into it.using ROX-filer ...I did this while running a tahrpup
then opened /mnt/sdb1menu.lst and added

(these are the settings I used ...both work)

title Corepup desktop
  uuid 8a8ea99d-a1b0-4c43-b1a0-d4ce5c9c7dfa
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sdb1/Corepup/cde/ desktop=corepup-jwm waitusb=5
  initrd /Corepup/boot/core.gz

title Corepup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sdb1/Corepup/tce/ desktop=corepup-jwm waitusb=5
Attachments
screenshot_0711204058.png
(49.94 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

rockedge

#647 Post by rockedge »

test again with using rox-filer to open the iso of corepup copy the contents to a created folder. using either one of these:

title Corepup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sdb1/Corepup/tce/ desktop=corepup-jwm waitusb=5

title Corepup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sdb1/Corepup/tce/ desktop=icewm waitusb=5
I quickly got the hang of bouncing around either version and loading different apps seeing how she flies

nosystemdthanks

#648 Post by nosystemdthanks »

this post assumed there was still something to fix; no point in confusing people with it
Last edited by nosystemdthanks on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#649 Post by rockedge »

I just told you I have it working completely. This is the way I want it. I do not need corepup on another USB stick...I need it where I want it to be when I want to be there. Simple. and as soon as it is a pain in the ass I can go to 500 different flavors of OS

I need certain parameters for the projects I am involved with. and if corepup fits and does the heavy lifting then great.

All I am telling you is I have it working in sub folders on a partition with 52 other frugally installed OS's all starting from a Grub4Dos menu. I am telling you I have 2 versions I can boot from 1)jwm and 2) icewm and I was teling you thank you for the help

that's it. Now where I am I not clear and what don't you understand?

nosystemdthanks

#650 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote: All I am telling you is I have it working in sub folders on a partition with 52 other frugally installed OS's all starting from a Grub4Dos menu. I am telling you I have 2 versions I can boot from 1)jwm and 2) icewm and I was teling you thank you for the help

that's it. Now where I am I not clear and what don't you understand?
sorry for the confusion, i thought you were saying the tce still wasnt loading. glad you got it working! great, thanks for posting the working setup, we will be sure to share that with other grub4dos fans. of course you are very welcome! its a very big help to have this one figured out for us, too.