Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Oct 2017, 12:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to use and put Puppy on a Chromebook
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2016, 03:33    Post subject:  

gcmartin,

Thanks for the links.

That information is good if your Chromebook has the options.
Some do, some do not.

My second post "How to setup the Chromebook to boot Puppy" is basically trying to explain how this information applies to booting Puppy.

peterw

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2016, 16:12    Post subject: toucpad with puppy
Subject description: Touchpad and Puppy

Hi

I have been using Puppy on an Acer C720 Chromebook for about 2 years now. I find that Puppy works very well on it apart from the touchpad and closing the lid. Fatdog has the touchpad working but it is not as good as when the Chromebook is using the ChromeOS system. My wife uses an HP14 Chromebook which is very good apart from some niggles but it does set a standard since it uses the same processors, etc.

I should also say that I have tried different distros on it and Ubuntu and Mint work well including the touchpad and lid closure. However, the touchpad is still not as good as with the ChromeOS. I have tried other distros as well including PCLinuxOS which has the touchpad working although it is not as good as the Ubuntu type Distros.

I have had the touchpad working in Puppy but to do that I had to to use the Woof-ce process and recompile the kernel to include the drivers for the touchpad, etc. It was still not as smooth as the ChromeOS but it was usable. My OS was at an alpha/beta stage and I did not pursue it further although I keep thinking I should. If any anyones wants it I am sure that I could find my dotconfigs that I used to compile the kernel.

peterw
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2016, 16:18    Post subject:  

peterw,

Quote:
I have been using Puppy on an Acer C720 Chromebook for about 2 years now.

Please give some details on how Puppy is installed.

Any tips on how you did it and are using Puppy?

HP Chromebook 14 is what I have.
Touch pad and sound is my only problems, using the latest versions of Puppy.
Any tips on correcting these issues?

peterw

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2016, 18:16    Post subject: Installing Puppy
Subject description: Puppy and Chromebooks

Hi

Originally I kept the 16GB ssd but managed to set up partitions for Puppy and Hugegreenbugs Ubuntu and Bodhi for the C720. They worked well but with Puppies I had to use an external mouse. Fatdog developed a Puppy that enabled the use of the touchpad. Both Hugegreenbugs Ubuntu and Bodhi worked really well althogh the sensitivity and features of the touch pad were not as good as the original ChromebookOS. I also have a HP14 Chromebook that my wife uses and it uses the same processor and touchpad as the C720 and so it sets a standard.

After the warranty run out and ssd prices dropped enough, I bought a 128GB 42mm ssd for C720 and that is what I run now. At the moment the partitions are: I have 2GB for SWAP, although I don't think I need it, 12 GB for frugally installed Puppies and these do change' and the two equalish partitions for Mint with xfce, 32 bit and PCLinux with the addition of Mythtv which with the use of a usb TV stick works well on the occasions I need it.

Unfortunately, to get the touchpad in Puppy working in the Chromebook you need to go through the Woof-ce process and recompile the kernel and enable the trackpad in the dotconfig file. I have done this and intend to have another go and I got the trackpad working but lost proper icons, etc. I was at a alpha / beta stage and did not have the skill to sort it out. I have the intention to try again but need to find the time.

OK. When I started on this I used the procedure outlined by John Lewis? You need to enable developer mode and modify the boot code. The nearest I can find to it at the moment is the Arch web site instructions.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chrome_OS_devices
When changing the ssd I disconnected the battery and this meant that I had to reinstall the ChromeOS again to go into developer mode to alter the boot code. This time I took out the screw so that I could make changes to the boot permanent. This has the benefit that I Don't have to do a Cntrl + L every time I boot and if I let the batteries run down, it does not matter. I don't have to reinstall ChromeOS to go into developer mode, etc.

I need to mention that many distros boot OK on the Chromebook although some need mem=1950m added because of a feature of the coreboot/seabios.

Rereading your request. I need to mention sound. The Chromebook has both HDMI sound and its internal one. With Puppy it boots up with the HDMI sound and you need to use the sound setup to switch them.

I hope this is of some use.
peterw

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep 2016, 18:51    Post subject: Location of screw for bios
Subject description: Noisy HP14

Hi
If you are using a HP 14 Chromebook the screw is given by:
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/bond304/media/IMG_5313_zpsacbb2723.jpg.html

Also, as an aside, my HP14 was very fan noisy at times and it was annoying. After reading many complaints about swapping fans as a solution and seeing that this was not the cause, I noted that there was a printed ribbon connector going across the top of the fan with a little circuitry the other side. The penny dropped. I unscrewed the little circuitry and added a bit of grease to better the thermal contact and then tightening up the screw so that it pressed against against the metal of the hinge which is the heat sink the HP 14 went quiet. Success. That circuitry monitors the temperature at the far end of the fan and to do this well it needs to be attached to its heat sink - the hinge.
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 02:44    Post subject:  

Still have some unanswered questions.

Any help out there to resolve them?

I was wondering, with the easy ability to change Linux kernels in the newer Puppies.
Could a lot of the stuff that does not work be fixed by a specific special Linux kernel setup and designed for Chromebooks?
Having the common drivers, kernel settings, etc.... that a Chromebook needs Idea

These seem to be the big issues getting to work in Puppy.
Sound.
Touchpad.
Some of the keyboard top row keys.

Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: