Compiling JWM (Solved)

discuss compiling applications for Puppy
LazY Puppy

Compiling JWM (Solved)

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

I've downloaded the source code of jwm 2.3.6 and compiled it successfully in tahr 6.0.2.

After running ./configure I just run new2dir make install there was a directory to build a .pet package from compiled sources and files.

Though, there's a difference.

Installed version of jwm is in /usr/bin.
Compiled version pf jwm is in /usr/local/bin.

There's another difference.

- /usr/etc/system.jwmrc (installed version)
- /usr/local/etc/system.jwmrc (compiled version)

Do I need to change anything on compiler options to get the jwm binary into /usr/bin or shall I move this just manually to /usr/bin in the directory containing compiled files?

Here's a package posted by mfb.

Attached are those jwm 2.3.6 versions (32bit & 64bit) that are compiled by myself.

I have tested and am still running the jwm 2.3.6 included in the attached .pet packages in:

- tahr 6.0.2
- tahr 6.0.5
- tahr64 6.0.5
- unicorn 6.0
- vivid beta2

No problems, no issues so far.

Edit:

Found at least now this issue to suppress scrolling through the desktops.
Attachments
jwm-2.3.6-i486.pet
JWM 2.3.6 32bit compiled in tahr 602
(132.42 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
jwm-2.3.6-x86_64.pet
JWM 2.3.6 64bit compiled in tahr64 605
(137.05 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 22:33, edited 7 times in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

ttuuxxx

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

Try something like ./configure --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

ttuuxxx wrote:Try something like ./configure --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
That worked out of the box and JWM is running. Version 2.3.6.

Thanks! :D
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

There just another difference I noticed after compiling and before creating the .pet package.

The compiled jwm binary inside of the source package is sized at 785 kb. The one that has found its place in the directory to create the .pet package from -as well as the one installed- is sized at 199 kb. :shock:
RSH

Geoffrey

#5 Post by Geoffrey »

LazY Puppy wrote:There just another difference I noticed after compiling and before creating the .pet package.

The compiled jwm binary inside of the source package is sized at 785 kb. The one that has found its place in the directory to create the .pet package from -as well as the one installed- is sized at 199 kb. :shock:
make install strips the binary and any library files during installation

Code: Select all

strip --strip-unneeded /path/to/bin/file/or/lib/file
PS: but " make DESTDIR=/my/app/folder install " doesn't strip the files.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

Geoffrey wrote:make install strips the binary and any library files during installation

strip --strip-unneeded /path/to/bin/file/or/lib/file
PS: but " make DESTDIR=/my/app/folder install " doesn't strip the files.
Ok, I see.

Thanks.

The 32bit jwm binary compiled in tahr 602 seems to work well. Also the right-clicked menu. I'd included the binary and other files into my binaries32_tahr_6.0.2.sfs which loads at boot up to a top layer, so it will override the installed jwm binary.

Compiler options used:

--build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
I tried to compile in tahr64 605 using this compiler options:

--prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
JWM remains functional after doing new2dir make install.

I'd included the binary and other files into my binaries64_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs which loads also at boot up to a top layer, so it will override also the installed jwm binary.

Though, the graphical desktop refuses to appear on the screen. Checking for jwm -version at the prompt returned a wrong ELF class on a library ...X11.so.6.

Do I need some special options to compile for 64bit in 64bit (terminal output mentioned being compiled for x86_64).

Oh, I should make clear: I had the 32bit compatibility sfs loaded when compiling in tahr64 605.

That's an issue, probably?
RSH

LazY Puppy

#7 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok, I'm answering to my own questions! :lol:

Rebooted tahr64 605 without to load the 32bit compatibility sfs.

Removed all the .o files and the jwm binary from previously compiling of 64bit.

Used:

./configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
After doing a new2dir make install the jwm binary returns at 205 kb (previous compiled binary had equal size to the 32bit version (199 kb)).

Again I'd included the binary and other files into my binaries64_tahr64_6.0.5.sfs which loads at boot up to a top layer, so it will override the installed jwm binary.

Rebooted and...

...the graphical desktop appears on the screen! :D

Currently running tahr64 605 by the compiled jwm 2.3.6.

I will add those two packages to the opening opst of this topic (just a few seconds to go).
RSH

ttuuxxx

#8 Post by ttuuxxx »

LazY Puppy wrote: Removed all the .o files and the jwm binary from previously compiling of 64bit.
Just type make clean in the terminal and then press enter and then ./configure etc etc etc
ttuuxxx

LazY Puppy

#9 Post by LazY Puppy »

ttuuxxx wrote:Just type make clean in the terminal and then press enter and then ./configure etc etc etc
ttuuxxx
Aahhh, how to know that... :lol:

Thanks.

Though, clean is not listed as an option (terminal output) at: make --help.
RSH

ttuuxxx

#10 Post by ttuuxxx »

LazY Puppy wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:Just type make clean in the terminal and then press enter and then ./configure etc etc etc
ttuuxxx
Aahhh, how to know that... :lol:

Thanks.

Though, clean is not listed as an option (terminal output) at: make --help.
make clean works about 98% of the time with most apps :)
ttuuxxx

LazY Puppy

#11 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Now running tahr 6.0.2 plus jwm 2.3.6 for some hours, I found a small issue (though, to me it's not that small).

I don't like JWM's function to scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel, so I included the code below into my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal.

<!-- Do not scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel-->
<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
<RootMenu onroot="5"/>
Though, this doesn't work anymore in JWM 2.3.6. Using the mouse-wheel with mouse-pointer pointing to the desktop, scrolls again through the desktops.

Anyone any knowledge available of how to suppress scrolling through the desktops by mouse-wheel in JWM 2.3.6?
RSH

MochiMoppel

#12 Post by MochiMoppel »

LazY Puppy wrote:I have tested and am still running the jwm 2.3.6 included in the attached .pet packages in:

- tahr 6.0.2
- tahr 6.0.5
- tahr64 6.0.5
- unicorn 6.0
- vivid beta2

No problems, no issues so far.
Does not work in Slacko 5.6. Desktop and tray areas are visible, but without any content. No ROX pinboard either. Funny, I haven't had a problem with any version in the past, even with those that were not compiled for my system.
LazY Puppy wrote:Anyone any knowledge available of how to suppress scrolling through the desktops by mouse-wheel in JWM 2.3.6?
You should ask this question in the dedicated thread JWM: Disable scrollwheel switching virtual desktops

Puppus Dogfellow

#13 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

LazY Puppy wrote:Hi.

Now running tahr 6.0.2 plus jwm 2.3.6 for some hours, I found a small issue (though, to me it's not that small).

I don't like JWM's function to scroll through the desktops by mouse-wheel, so I included the code below into my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal.

<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
<RootMenu onroot="5"/>
Though, this doesn't work anymore in JWM 2.3.6. Using the mouse-wheel with mouse-pointer pointing to the desktop, scrolls again through the desktops.

Anyone any knowledge available of how to suppress scrolling through the desktops by mouse-wheel in JWM 2.3.6?
no success in precise but it works well for me in tahr64--thanks, LP.

as to the 4/5 menu--just make them buttons or root menus or something other than annoying (i had ten menus and they still functioned (including scroll up and down) after the 2.3.6-64 jwm pet was installed).

over the pager the wheel still strolls the desktops so you don't entirely rid yourself of the behavior with my suggestion.

or, you could take Mochi up on his suggestion to post elsewhere for a suggestion. :lol: besides, i'm sure he's got a better solution by now.

there's fairly good evidence i don't know what i'm doing:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:thanks, Mochi. (also thanks to LazyPupy--32 bit jwm 236 pet didn't work in precise (5.7.2), but 64bit worked in tahr64 without a reboot or x restart (precise showed 2.3.6. in response to jwm -v, but it didn't show any traces of the new syntax (my trays should've needed adjusting) or the mouse pointer change that Mochi mentions in the opening post. -reload, -restart --no change. x restart gave me a black screen. reboot gave me a black screen. i removed the dynamic line by accessing the file with another installation. rebooted into the precise install--black screen. anyway, i don't recommend the 32 bit pet in precise, or am i here to say i can't get it to work and seem to have killed that installation)).

8) :P :?
from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 679#925679

:lol:
(i'm just trying to make light of it. i really liked that installation...)
:? 8) :lol:

[one of the best things about puppy is getting used to things like this/i was so close to going ahead and backing up the thing, or booting pfix=ram...]

LazY Puppy

#14 Post by LazY Puppy »

Killed the installation?

Hhmmm...

To avoid such issues that's why I posted these info:
- tahr 6.0.2
- tahr 6.0.5
- tahr64 6.0.5
- unicorn 6.0
- vivid beta2
RSH

Puppus Dogfellow

#15 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

LazY Puppy wrote:Killed the installation?

Hhmmm...

To avoid such issues that's why I posted these info:
- tahr 6.0.2
- tahr 6.0.5
- tahr64 6.0.5
- unicorn 6.0
- vivid beta2
and to further inform is why i posted
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:Hi.

<RootMenu onroot="4"/>
<RootMenu onroot="5"/>

no success in precise but it works well for me in tahr64--thanks, LP.

as to the 4/5 menu--just make them buttons or root menus or something other than annoying (i had ten menus and they still functioned (including scroll up and down) after the 2.3.6-64 jwm pet was installed).

over the pager the wheel still strolls the desktops so you don't entirely rid yourself of the behavior with my suggestion.

or, you could take Mochi up on his suggestion to post elsewhere for a suggestion. :lol: besides, i'm sure he's got a better solution by now.

there's fairly good evidence i don't know what i'm doing:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:thanks, Mochi. (also thanks to LazyPupy--32 bit jwm 236 pet didn't work in precise (5.7.2), but 64bit worked in tahr64 without a reboot or x restart (precise showed 2.3.6 in response to jwm -v, but it didn't show any traces of the new syntax (my trays should've needed adjusting) or the mouse pointer change that Mochi mentions in the opening post. -reload, -restart --no change. x restart gave me a black screen. reboot gave me a black screen. i removed the dynamic line by accessing the file with another installation. rebooted into the precise install--black screen. anyway, i don't recommend the 32 bit pet in precise, or am i [sic--it was supposed to have said "i am"--didn't mean to pose a question, if that's what prompted the "Hhmm" on your part] here to say i can't get it to work and seem to have killed that installation)).

8) :P :?
from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 679#925679

:lol:
(i'm just trying to make light of it. i really liked that installation...)
:? 8) :lol:

[one of the best things about puppy is getting used to things like this/i was so close to going ahead and backing up the thing, or booting pfix=ram...]

i understood the risks and accept the results. just passing along what i found and giving some additional info: pfixram is helpful, backups are helpful, you run a risk if you try the 32 bit pet in Precise.

it merely failed for Mochi in Slacko 5.6--maybe that's the only risk standard Precise Pups run--mine's pretty heavily modified (especially as far as jwm goes) and is based on a patched 571 (save folder ability courtesy of gyro and mavrothal). ymmv, hth, and all that. also, thanks again for your efforts. i wasn't being facetious--the stuff doesn't make itself and you stated what it worked on. i sometimes test stuff--"cutting edge" implies some risks, and the thing didn't exist until you made it--it was a cutting edge pet, at least as far as Precise goes. thanks for the opportunity to test, thanks for the working pet i'm currently using in at least one tahr 64 installation (i'll probably upgrade the other shortly).