Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Oct 2017, 09:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy as Primary Operating System
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next

Do you think Puppy is a good choice to save this old machine?
YES
100%
 100%  [ 24 ]
NO
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

hollipl

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 18:26    Post subject:  Puppy as Primary Operating System
Subject description: How to get a functioning system installed to HDD and Theme it UP!

Hello Puppy Linux Forum Users!
This is an post for me to say hello and invite you along on my experiment as I try out puppy as a candidate for my everyday driver operating system on an XP era Compaq Presario laptop, which due to financial obligations, has unfortunatly become the only computer I have available to me.

Specs are moderately usable for Youtube/Flash Movie streaming, light Http browsing, filling out job applications, and maybe even some audio content creation in the form of recording guitar songs and mixing with Audacity. So this little XP era machine is about to regain second life, and I'm inviting you guys along on my mission to see if puppy can fufill these needs untill my financial situation improves.

I have a built in Broadcom Wireless Radio, but also have an old linksys pcmia?? card that should be functional, along with a T-Link usb wifi dongle, so no matter what I will be able to get some kind of wifi functionality. So at the moment I am downloading the Puppy ISO to burn to a CDR that I happen to have lying around, because I am switching from Debian and have had some problems recently with Unetbootin, so CDR it is. I may even throw in a few pictures of the laptop and such to keep you guys interested so if I run into problems I have a few of you more experienced fella's out there to help me.

Oh yea, TL:DR guys. this isn't the post for you! lol
Pics and an update as I start the boot/installion.

Last edited by hollipl on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 19:26; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 19:01    Post subject:  

Welcome Mate!

Hey, for starters, kindly supply a thumbnail instead of that screen exploder of yours, then we'll get on to addressing you.

Thanks muchly..

6502coder

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 19:03    Post subject:  

Like you, I have a Compaq Presario laptop from the XP era. Mine is a Presario 2200, 1.3 GHz Celeron with 1 GB of RAM. Precise Puppy 5.4.93 runs quite well on it, and supports the built-in Broadcom wireless with no problems.
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 19:10    Post subject:  

This will suffice just fine.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 19:18    Post subject:  

Hollipl, I changed your URL to a link rather than [img] because your image was about twice as wide as my screen and, I suspect, the screens of most other forum members. Why annoy the people whom you're asking for help? Laughing

If you post images or link to them, nothing wider than 800 pixels, please. Thanks. Smile

To answer your question, Puppy is probably the best thing you could do for an old laptop that you want to keep using. You don't even have to get rid of Windows in order to use Puppy. So you can continue to run the Windows apps you're used to while you get used to the ones in Puppy. You might want to avoid getting online in Windows. Laughing
hollipl

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 19:29    Post subject:  

Yes I did Realize that afer I posted, but due to the fact Im running a full debian operating system on the laptop in question, You were able to fix the problem quite a bit faster than I was. I did upload it to another host that automatically resized the picture for me and provided me with BB code. I don't use forums very often, so I feel a bit awkward. Any way, the CDR is burnt, So I'll bring up the forum on My android Phone and Carry on :]

The Laptop has a 60 gig hard drive , 1.4 GHZ single core, and 512 mb of ram.
Not much to work with, but can do in a pinch :]

Using XFburn on all auto settings for media creation.
hollipl

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 19:36    Post subject:  

6502coder wrote:
Like you, I have a Compaq Presario laptop from the XP era. Mine is a Presario 2200, 1.3 GHz Celeron with 1 GB of RAM. Precise Puppy 5.4.93 runs quite well on it, and supports the built-in Broadcom wireless with no problems.

That is good news for me then! I've used Puppy in some very Crappy situations before, with a 2002 dell desktop that had no hard drive and couldn't boot usb, I used PLOP bootloader CD to boot and then force boot USB off that CD , and use persisant LIVE usb puppy on a USB 2 speed 1 gig stick, used that as a primary computer for almost a year lol.
hollipl

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 19:51    Post subject:  

Live CD os up and running! Its speedy enough as i just click around and browse the web. Lets get it installed and see about changing desktop evironment or do something to make it just a little pretty, that is after testing wifi and the liked.

So for right now it looks like i just click install. On the desktop? Im gonna wipe the whole drive and do LVM setup.

Any time i try to use the forum attachments to post an image it tries to say ive uploaded an empty file. Why is that? Happened on computer and phone.

EDIT: I am now typing this from the machine itself. Very Happy
Its still running live, been stuch on PLEASE WAIT {X} window for a while now....
It finished installing Grub4Dos and I created and mounted a root partition, a swap, and a 48 gig home part and still waiting for some kind of message on the progress of the install...
s243a

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 21:21    Post subject:  

I know tahrpup CE works well with 1gig of ram but large PDFs or websites with a lot of flash or javascript can bring it to a crawl. We have lots of these discussions on these forms. Here's one such thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101920&start=15

granted that was for a computer with worse specs than yours.

I've used Wary 5.5 and works well on old computers but got frustrated with the older version of glib c and what that means for running modern software such as browsers.

Bary's Quirky is smaller than tharpup and has more recent libraries than Wary:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/releases/quirky-6.1.4/

I haven't tried it yet but it might be worth a shot.
hollipl

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 21:50    Post subject: Success!  

I have managed to install Puppy to the internal hard drive, setup a swap part, and have access to a 50 gig partition to store files on, and puppy has a ten gig root part for programs. So now lets test it out and see if I can install firefox :]
s243a

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 21:56    Post subject: Re: Success!  

hollipl wrote:
I have managed to install Puppy to the internal hard drive, setup a swap part, and have access to a 50 gig partition to store files on, and puppy has a ten gig root part for programs. So now lets test it out and see if I can install firefox :]

Which version of puppy did you install?
hollipl

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2016, 21:59    Post subject:  

6.0.5 PAE 32 bit Tahrpup. I've now managed to stumble across the window to install a seperate Desktop mangager, I've chosen to give XFCE a try. And I do have to say it is looking MIGHTY Slick, and running better than this computer has in a minute. I've migrated recently from Bunsen Labs based on Debian Jessie, to a full install of debian with XFCE, and that was running so slow I couldn't get much working. Now I'm On Tahrpup with XFCE and i'm gonna try watching some youtube videos and a flash movie stream and see how the resources get taxed, and see how smooth the playback is.
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2016, 06:45    Post subject:  

You're getting warmer..
Quote:
50g partition to store files and Pup with a 10g *system* partition..

foxpup

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2016, 07:08    Post subject: tips  

hi hollipl, welcome

How do you manage with Firefox?
I have a 2002 palomino desktop with 1G ram and it works with tahr, though better with wary. Newest Firefox works for me, but youtube works better with QtWeb.

Quote:
have had some problems recently with Unetbootin

if you still have XP on your machine you can use rufus
poorguy

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:19    Post subject:  

Hey hollipl,

I'm using Puppy tahrpup 32bit (frugal install) as an everyday driver on an old Windows XP computer without any complaints.

I use Netsurf and for basic web browsing it kicks ass.
Here is a link to a Netsurf download.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106016

The PoorGuy
Page 1 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: