2.02 Download from web problem

Booting, installing, newbie
Trev

2.02 Download from web problem

#1 Post by Trev »

Hi
I have somehow got a problem with connecting to web sites on the internet.
I am using dial up external modem that works fine on other distributions and used to work OK on Puppy.
I can dial out and connect to my ISP but not download from the internet.
However if I go into a terminal and do the following

# route add default ppp0

I can connect OK and all is well. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to look for the problem.
I have searched the forumns but not found the answer. But I vaguely remember reading something about the problem some time ago.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions
Trev

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

trev,

what happened? i thought you got gkdial working? this is quite peculiar as several people are exeriencing dialup woes!

Trev

#3 Post by Trev »

Hi Muggins
Yes I did get GKDial working and it seems to dial out OK and make the connection to my ISP. But when I use Firefox to communicate with the internet the little indicator just keeps going around as it normally does to indicate it is down loading. But finally it times out and just comes up with the standard screen saying the site is unobtainable or words to that effect.

I had the same thing about a year ago with Mepis and that was resolved with the route statement in the first message .
When that worked, to make it permanent I had to create a file called DoRoute in the /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory and then within that file added the following
~~~~~~~~~~~
#!/bin/sh

route add default ppp0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That made it permanent.

I think obviously GK Dial is working because when I do the route command above in a terminal, It then connects immediately to all sites and I can use the browser as usual.
I hope this may give some clue.
Many thanks for your reply
Trev

Trev

Not resolved yet

#4 Post by Trev »

Hi all
I have now discovered that if I start Puppy without my network cable connected, then all works OK. I use the network with another distribution connected to another computer, but have not used it on Puppy.
I now assume that this is a routing problem, so any tips on how to fix it would be most welcome
Many thanks in advance
Trev