Sparky Linux has 32 bit UEFI support

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mouldy

Sparky Linux has 32 bit UEFI support

#1 Post by mouldy »

I know Quirky 8 has support for 64bit UEFI, but in post somewhere on Quirky thread, Barry didnt seem to think there was enough of the Bay Trail Atom processor tablets and laptops out there with 32bit UEFI to be worth the bother to support them.

Curious and been reading. Well there are people trying to make workarounds with Ubuntu and Fedora for these devices. It's sometimes not so technically hard to mix and match things and getting 64bit system to boot on one, but there are not good drivers.

But an obscure distribution called Sparky Linux has a 32bit version with 32bit UEFI support built in. Just heads up for anybody with such a device and wanting to experiment. Seems to work far better than anything else so far and it works out of the box.

I still don't think I will own a cloudbook (atom or celeron) until its like $20 used in usable condition. $200 for new one seems kinda crazy. Its only real claim to fame is how long it will go on battery charge. And its light weight. Otherwise specs are like XP/Vista era system. Well you can get used laptop from that era for $20..... or free if you know somebody with one they havent used for few years.

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Hi mouldy, forum member insomniac01 has been working to get puppies running on his baytrail tablet. See one of his posts here.

Have you seen his thread here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108295 ?

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

I hadnt seen those posts but then search on this forum isnt always super helpful.

I had just been reading about the x86 cloudbooks/tablets as I thought they would be great for Puppy install, since lot people frustrated with the bloated windows install, and found that those with the 32bit uefi were particularly onerous to install anything but win8.1 and win10. And remembered the Quirky post where Barry said he didnt think there were that many 32bit uefi devices out there. I disagree as they are still being churned out and sell mostly cause they are cheap I think.

I suspect with some not too sophisticated manipulation, Quirky8 much like Ubuntu can be made to boot. NOw how well it would support the hardware is another matter. Lot people with these seem so upset that the wifi doesnt work out of box. When you can buy a $5 usb wifi adapter that works in nearly any linux, not sure the big concern. I would be more concerned about video and to lesser extent sound, though again you can get a usb sound card for $5 that works with nearly anything. This Sparky Linux seems to do everything but the wifi out of box. Its based on some unstable Debian, but has newer kernel and is very stable. I suspect that new kernel is why it supports hardware so well.

Again whenever I find one of these cloudbooks cheap, short of somebody having dropped it off a tall building or hit it with a big hammer, people seem crazy over them and bid them up. Otherwise I'd grab one to experiment with. Maybe a pet rock fad or flash in pan popularity of the EEE netbook??? CAuse they really arent any more powerful hardware-wise than early two core laptops. And some of those early two cores could be upgraded with more RAM and you could put in faster hard drive or SSD. These cloudbooks tend to be hard wired into mediocrity forever.

Anyway I would wish Insomniac01 lot luck, be nice to see a puppy that can install relatively easy and work on these. Since I dont have one to experiment with, not much I can add to conversation other than my suggestion of looking close at Sparky. since they already seem to have solved the problems. My guess the wifi problems are over proprietary drivers that cant be included, but have to be installed separately.